Xbox One DVR feature only for Gold members

ozadin

Well this is the first batch of bad news I have heard in about a week or two, and it's pretty bad. Other than the other features that Gold has such as two free games, someone can afford a better capture card for $60 that records more than 5 minutes, and some that can record in 1080p with a solid 30fps instead of spending it on a Gold membership. I was hoping for it to be free, but apparently not. Dammit, Microsoft.

The Xbox One's Game DVR feature, which allows players to record game footage and share it with friends, will only be available to those with an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Via Gamestop

This is Microsoft, I am not surprised. Gold doesn't really offer much, really, just the online multiplayer, but Microsoft is fixing that... by blocking features (such as Netflix, which is ridiculous because you would need a Gold sub and a Netflix sub) to Silver users and making them only useable by Gold members.

Wow, this is certainly interesting, that is definitely something that i didn't expect as it seemed that Microsoft was on a pretty good roll as far as customers go. This could definitely upset a lot of people because I'm sure many expected this to be something to be free. Now, I'm really curious to see Whether or not fans will get upset and whether Microsoft will change their stance on this before the Xbox One is officially released.

yea it pretty much was expected honestly. anything to do with online,apps or cloud you can bet you will need a gold membership. they are going to try and recoup the millions invested in the cloud computing and dedicated servers.. u gotta pay to play honestly. even ps4 is slated to charge at this point.

This is Microsoft, I am not surprised. Gold doesn't really offer much, really, just the online multiplayer, but Microsoft is fixing that... by blocking features (such as Netflix, which is ridiculous because you would need a Gold sub and a Netflix sub) to Silver users and making them only useable by Gold members.

I don't recall where I read this, but they are taking the 'gold' requirement from video services like netflix, hulu, etc. for both 360 and XB1

Though I am bummed that the dvr would be turned off if your gold lapsed. I think they should let you save it to a stick...so you could archive your own stuff or maybe edit the footage on a desktop/laptop and do with it what you'd like.

Can't say the option to record gameplay ever really interested me even less so since it was only 5 minutes, but making it gold exclusive kind of makes sense seeing as most people will probably be using it for various multiplayer highlights and such.
Also I've also not heard of Netflix and others being exclusive to Gold, if so that would most certainly be a real drag and would really bring Microsoft back down after so many good turn arounds.

Can't say the option to record gameplay ever really interested me even less so since it was only 5 minutes, but making it gold exclusive kind of makes sense seeing as most people will probably be using it for various multiplayer highlights and such.
Also I've also not heard of Netflix and others being exclusive to Gold, if so that would most certainly be a real drag and would really bring Microsoft back down after so many good turn arounds.

The way 360 works is u need a gold live account for Netflix Hulu and prime or any online activity for that matter

I don't recall where I read this, but they are taking the 'gold' requirement from video services like netflix, hulu, etc. for both 360 and XB1

I haven't heard anything about that, but I'll look it up, though it might be a rumor or something. Still, it would be great if they did that, considering that it's ridiculous that people have to pay for both Gold and Netflix subscriptions if they just want Netflix, for example.

I haven't heard anything about that, but I'll look it up, though it might be a rumor or something. Still, it would be great if they did that, considering that it's ridiculous that people have to pay for both Gold and Netflix subscriptions if they just want Netflix, for example.

i would be good yes if hulu+ netflix,amazon were on its own.. but the problem with that is every app would want to fall under the same umbrella.
i would be nice and may be possible but i dont see it.. maybe if time warner cable app for 360 pulls it off but microsoft already has netflix and the like bundled up on xbox live/gold.

only way i could see it would be if the dashboard was able to sign on but not do anything except direct you to sign on/create account. but their was a bypass for 3rd party streaming subscriptions.

Well, isn't this another shot in the foot. I do realize this is server based, and they do need to pay the costs, but come on, with all the money they spent with all those servers for the cloud thing, they could at least give this one for free!

Back