Xbox 360 Exercise video games help brain function

Zelda

This new trend that they call "exergaming" is supposed to help with brain function in older people. I'm not exactly a senior citizen, but I figure that it should help anyone. The article I read said that a study showed it improved things like problem-solving abilities and attention. They compared one group that used a regular bike and another group that rode a bike connected to an exercise video game with virtual reality features.

I am really not sure if its something I would try or not and I have read a ton on the subject. For me the two are separate or its just what I have gotten used to. I work out 5 days of the week but I might only game one or maybe two days depending on my schedule. I like the idea of them being separate.

I have to admit that I don't like to work out. Exercise is so important, though. That's why I'm so glad to have options like Kinect that make exercising more fun. However, if you already have an exercise regime that works for you, I can see why exergaming wouldn't hold much appeal.

I believe this 100%. You have to think prior to making any moves in any game (exercise game or not). You are keeping your brain active and that is what keeps your brain healthy and your memory active.

That's true about other types of video games keeping your brain active. In this particular study, I think that they only compared different forms of physical exercises. But video games, especially puzzles, are bound to be good for helping to keep you mentally fit. You're using problem-solving abilities and, in many games, you are having to make quick decisions. That's very good for keeping the brain fit.

I love these type of games. Exercise is so important, you are all right. I don't have a lot of time for it but I do have that fitness game for Xbox and when I have some free time I definitely play it. It's so much fun I could play for days, unfortunately I have a job so that's not gonna happen.

I definitely agree with the study results, because I feel like I think more clearly after a workout than before it. However, I prefer workout DVDs to workout games. Maybe it's just that I haven't found the right exercise game yet, but for now, I like to keep my workout and my video game time separate, like Allyson.

Back