Xbox One External Storage Not Supported at Launch

NatureSun

Microsoft's Major Nelson has stated that initially the Xbox One won't support external storage. This means 500GB is the max HD which people will be able to have for the console. He also said it's going to happen in the future, but it's currently not a top priority.

"My understanding is that feature will not be there at launch because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list. I don't know when it will come in though."

The Xbox One comes with a 500GB internal harddrive as standard that cannot be replaced, though at the console's announcement back in March it was confirmed external storage could be connected via the USB 3.0 port to use for game installs and downloads.
Source: IGN

I don't think anyone will burn through 500GB of memory by the time they release external drives. It doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Then again, hopefully they won't become lackadaisical because they know it's not a priority. It's something that they will need to come out with at some point.

Yea but one thing which I'm confused about and wasn't mentioned in the article is that, when it does get implemented, till it be a hardware thing or a software?

For example the people who buy the Xbox One right now will never be able to extend the memory and only the newer Xbox will be capable of it? Or will all Xbox will be capable of it once the capability comes?

Yea but one thing which I'm confused about and wasn't mentioned in the article is that, when it does get implemented, till it be a hardware thing or a software?

For example the people who buy the Xbox One right now will never be able to extend the memory and only the newer Xbox will be capable of it? Or will all Xbox will be capable of it once the capability comes?

It's a software issue, the console has the USB inputs so it would be a hardware issue. The priority he's speaking about is because have a lot of other things they want to slowly roll out via updates.

See I don't like this. I was going to buy a TB external when it came out since I am going all DD this time. I mean...I hope they get it done fast lol.

Back