Xbox One Fable Legends may still be an "always online" game

No, please don't do this if the internet connection is not required. Don't force us to play online if we can play offline.

I'm just trying to understand why people are so against the online thing? What is your reason for not wanting online always? Do you currently have a game system be it pc, Xbox or ps hooked up to Internet now?

Always online can be a problem. Diablo 3 on PC was always online, so we got treated to lag spikes while playing single player offline (not framerate drops, but actual Internet lag). Not to mention if the servers and/or your connection go down, you can't play.

I personally never had a problem with the original MS plan for 24 hour check-ins. That is NOT always online. That system allowed for reasonable outages and wouldn't burn you if your connection went down for an hour.

Always online can and does cause problems for users (see the Diablo 3 launch, Sim City launch, etc).

I leave my console plugged in all the time, and my connection works fine, but game servers aren't as reliable. Try playing an EA Sports game on a Friday night during busy hours.

If the game is truly offline, it shouldn't break if there are connection problems. Cheaters are going to find ways to cheat no matter what.

Your speaking of launch games when everyone was downloading the game from the servers and trying to play. Every online game is like that at launch. But after a week once the servers are balanced out and not everyone trying to download the game it was smooth. Not to mention the day 1-3 bugs they have to fix ;). If Microsoft is smart they would have game downloads on different server while game play is on another which would relieve the lag problem.

As for your Internet going down it happens very seldom.

thanks for you insight on why you don't like the idea of always online. I was just courious as why some people didn't like the idea.

Lag spikes in Diablo on PC were very common months after release. Your character would die simply because you joined in and got a bit of lag and warped into an area with tons of monsters. I agree that many of the problems are launch related, but not all.

My biggest worry is the server on the game company end. I pay my ISP and if it goes down, I can call and complain. Always online means you are at the mercy of the game company to keep servers up and running. When they decide it is no longer cost effective to support the game, your game stops working.

I've also played EA Sports games where when their servers go down, it takes you many minutes to load the single player game. It tries to connect in as soon as you get to the menu, and you're stuck waiting just to get to your offline game. Eventually it comes back, but still very annoying.

As much as I despise cheating, I really don't care if people cheat in offline games.

Dammit I was actually hoping for a single-player campaign mode since I'm not exactly planing to connect it online when I do receive my Xbox One which is currently on it's way to my front door!

I don't think that's it's a bad thing to be "Always online". I've been playing online games on the pc for the longest time. (Guild Wars, Ragnarok, Rose Online etc). I mean, most of the games today are online and you don't see anyone complaining about being online. The fact that being online doesn't have any burden unless you have a poor internet connection right?

Love the game. But there's a bit of lag on it. I probably have to upgrade my internet speed. But thanks to Fable, I get to have another adventure. Are there any releases on the walk through on this game or maybe some cheats. Well anyways it's still new. Still looking forward to more games (Actually looking for RPGs)

Yeah, I can agree with you there. After all, once the internet's on, I just play the games. There might be a time I'll turn off the router, but most of the time, I still play online. But it does suck for those who don't have an interent connection in their place, or if they have slow internet connection. That's where the "always-online" requirement can really be a drag.

Not a problem for me. I can play this game without a problem. Of course, there are times my internet acts on me (it's the service. They have to fix up some things with new stuff coming up for their business). I can live with it, no sweat for me. If it means having a great adventure in the world of Fable, heck yeah!

I really don't like always online games. I feel like I am being spied on and I don't want people knowing about my gaming activities. That is my business. I paid for a game, not to be spied on.

Personally, I love online games. I have played tons of MMORPGs and I could say that if they really make this "always online" I will definitely still buy it. I think this game deserves a shot at being an online game. Just hope that they make it a global game like other MMOs that way there are more people to play with.

Always-online? Ehhh... not my thing. I'm more of the gamer who likes to play without having to be online all the time. I mean, what if my internet's down? What if I just want to turn off the internet? I'm not the fan of these always-online. Nope, not my thing.

Always online? Not good for me. I'm having issues with my service provider for the longest time. Just hope that it really doesn't have to be "always online". There should be an option to play it offline rather than keeping it on all the time. Do wish that there are other games that won't need an online connection.

Always-online? Well.... I don't think I can handle this one. There is a time my internet can suck and there are times someone might take a chunk of the speed, so being always-online will not work for me. If this game will be... then I'll have to play it when nobody is taking the chunk. But not good for me.

Back