Xbox One Fable Legends to have 5- to 10-year life span

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
If you're like me, you get into the Fable games, and they're great. But after a while, no offense, it gets kind of redundant. I think that's why I'm like two seconds away from beating Fable 2 and partially through Fable 3. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but they need to do something to keep my interest more! Lionhead has a great opportunity in front of them with Fable Legends. It will be interesting to see what they do with it and how they plan of keeping the players interest throughout this 5-10 year game life. Am I the only one that gets bored with Fable after a while? Or am I just batsh** crazy?

"This is the next big Fable game that is going to be out for five to ten years so it needs to be big, it needs to be interesting," Needham said. "There needs to be a lot of stuff to do, it needs to integrate all the cloud and Xbox One features so we keep our community alive and growing. So yeah, it's big and ambitious, but it needs to be because it's going to be around a long time."
Just because Lionhead Studios will be working on Fable Legends for the next 5 to 10 years does not mean the company won't also spend time on non-Fable projects during that time. Needham said though the company is focused on Fable Anniversary and Fable Legends right now, the studio also has an incubation group to brainstorm new ideas.

Via Gamespot

Quite unheard of for a game to have that much depth. It also means that they don't plan on releasing new Fable games in that time span, instead they'll funnel all creative output back into the one title. If nothing else it's a unique approach, I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

Sounds to me maybe they intend it to be like guild wars a little bit.. If it is running off Microsoft cloud they can change the world and even add new places to visit and roam :). If that's what they plan on doing... In fable three I was done and beat the whole game by week 3 with my friend.

Quite unheard of for a game to have that much depth. It also means that they don't plan on releasing new Fable games in that time span, instead they'll funnel all creative output back into the one title. If nothing else it's a unique approach, I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

They've stated that Fable Legends is not a sequel and will stand apart from other Fable games, They still plan on releasing proper sequels, not to mention Fable Anniversary.

5-10 year lifespan? Good luck. Most games on consoles have, I dunno, a one to two year lifespan, generally speaking? It's a miracle if you can consistently play a game for three years straight and still find it fun. Five years would be absolutely insane.

5-10 year lifespan? Good luck. Most games on consoles have, I dunno, a one to two year lifespan, generally speaking? It's a miracle if you can consistently play a game for three years straight and still find it fun. Five years would be absolutely insane.

I was actually thinking that. I still have friends playing Final Fantasy 11 online....good lord.......

Halo? Call of Duty? Both games are still logging in hours, same goes for GTA 4

Halo? Call of Duty? Both games are still logging in hours, same goes for GTA 4

It's not really the same thing through. Halo and Call of Duty are FPS games with multiplayer modes, and GTA 4 is an open sandbox with multiplayer capabilities and lots of random things to do for the lulz. Generally speaking most games aren't going to have the same longevity as these games - also while these games are logging in hours that doesn't mean those hours are consecutive. I can quite playing a game for weeks, months, or years while others continue on and then come back. Either way hours are logged in. There is also the matter of people forever playing catch up on older games.

Wow that is ambitious. I don't see the games being able to play for a 5-10 year lifespan with players actively still playing consistently. I can play for maybe half a year consistently, but after that it gets boring. I really don't see how a gamer can do it.

I know, my point is that people have been playing those games forever and they're still going strong.

Uh, I doubt anyone has been playing the same Call of Duty or the same Halo for years straight. With the exception of Halo 2, none of them have had legendary staying power.

This sounds interesting but I hope it still resembles Fable as they sound like they are taking this into a different direction. There is a certain romance to the game that hopefully they retain.

It's Fable, the game that popularized the gaming lies! You can plant a seed and watch it grow into a tree, my ass!

But they are going for a multiplayer game, so are they expecting this to be the new League of Legends or something?

A very slow gamer could finish Skyrim to completion in that time span, thus showing anything is possible!

A very slow gamer could finish Skyrim to completion in that time span, thus showing anything is possible!

That isn't really called having a lifespan. Single Player games don't really have lifespans, do they? I figured the term 'lifespan' was referring to multiplayer games.

It's Fable, the game that popularized the gaming lies! You can plant a seed and watch it grow into a tree, my ass!

But they are going for a multiplayer game, so are they expecting this to be the new League of Legends or something?

I planted a seed and it grew into a bush... that definitely almost counts, right? Besides everyone loves hyperbole and exaggerations. It's like super fun!

They've stated that Fable Legends is not a sequel and will stand apart from other Fable games, They still plan on releasing proper sequels, not to mention Fable Anniversary.

That's....much better than what I thought. Does that mean they won't be able to incorporate future franchise innovations though? I guess it remains to be seen how truly far apart it will be from the rest of the series.

I use to be a big Fable fan. I just can't get into the Fable series anymore. It gets boring and too repetitive to quickly. Although when I played Fable I actually enjoyed playing this game all the time. This is one of those games where there are actually dull moments.

I use to be a big Fable fan. I just can't get into the Fable series anymore. It gets boring and too repetitive to quickly. Although when I played Fable I actually enjoyed playing this game all the time. This is one of those games where there are actually dull moments.

Well this one is strictly an online 5 player experience so it might be the rejuvenation needed

Back