Favorite game compilation?

BitesizeCrayons

I didn't want to attach this question to any particular game platform, so I feel it belongs here.

For me, this is a close toss-up between Mega Man X Collection and The Orange Box. Mega Man X is my all-time favorite 2D platformer, and the SNES and PS1 sequels are great as well, some more than others. Given that I picked up Mega Man X collection for $20, I can't say I've ever gotten more bang for my buck; even if you can beat several of these games in one sitting, they have an astonishing amount of replay value, and the difficulty is just right.

The Orange Box also offers a ton for a single package; the Juggernaut that is Half-Life 2 needs no introduction, and Valve was kind enough to expand on it, to the joy of the fans. Portal is an interesting and unique puzzle game, a genre I am typically skeptical about. I think Valve made the right call by introducing it this way, because it gives skeptics such as myself a reason to bite. TF 2 seems like a toony caricaturization of objective-based multiplayer games, which is ironic since it's actually one of the finest games of its kind. I believe that the class system it features is unrivaled, and I'm kicking myself for playing it so late.

Honorable mentions: Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Namco Museum, (any volume with Galaga and/or Dig Dug) Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection, Doom 3 RoE, (includes Ultimate Doom & Doom II + Master Levels) Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls, Super Mario All Stars,

I know I'm leaving some good ones out, but these are all that come to mind. I'd also really like to play the Silent Hill HD Collection, even if there are some things about it that irked fans. It's also too bad that the Mother I and II GBA port never made its way out of Japan, as it would have been a good opportunity to have an officially translated version of Mother 1 and a revised version of Mother II (Earthbound).

Edit: yup, I knew there was a really, really good one I left out; The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition is perhaps the greatest one of them all, as Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time, and Majora's Mask isn't far behind. The original LoZ and II are just nice touches, even if Zelda II is a black sheep.

Either the Metal Slug Collection or a Sega collection I played while I was visiting a friend. I could go for
TMNT or a Streets of Rage comp. would be nice!

I just want to go on record of saying that the Orange Box is the best. I played those games for hours and hours and still play them today. So far, to my knowledge, there is no one compilation that's better then this and the Half Life franchise is brilliant as is. You get to experience Portal and Team Fortress 2. Its just an amazing set of games and I highly recommend people to check it out if they never have.

Just about anything on the Pac-Man list would work for me, oldie but a goodie and it is something I can enjoy with my kids. One I do miss which I am sure dates my age is Galaga 30th Collection, for some reason this one really stuck with me over the years. For anything current I would have to dig around and really think about it. Some of the newer stuff I might like one or two games out of the pack, but not all of them so its a harder question than the oldies are.

Back