Xbox 360 Forza Horizon Demo - Review

pstep

This information is based strictly on the demo of Forza Horizon.

The Forza Horizon demo starts off with short little drive to Horizon Festival, which is a fictitious racing and music event held in Colorado. The very first thing I noticed is the appearance of AI controlled traffic on the roads. This no doubt will provide a new and exciting dynamic to the Forza series.

Once you have arrived at the festival, you are taken directly to the first actual race in the game. The Recaro Rush race is an off-road affair where you are driving a 2008 Mitsubishi, Lancer Evolution X GSR against 7 other competitors. Overall, the handling and controls of the car feel very similar to previous versions in the Forza series. This is due to the fact that Horizon utilizes the same physics engine that Forza 4 did. Once you complete this race you are rewarded with "gift" car, the 2013 SRT Viper, to use in the full version of the game.

In between races, you pick where you would like to drive to on a map. This map will show all available races that you can compete in. Once you have picked the event, a route will be laid out for you, showing you how to get there.
The next event in the demo is a "Showcase" event. In this particular showcase, you will be racing a Mustang against a Mustang. I don't mean car vs. car, I mean car vs. plane. If you happen to win this event you get to keep the car. This is by far the most fun I had playing this demo. It is a really refreshing change from the typical seriousness of the Forza series.

Another way to keep the player interested while driving between races, are speed traps and speed zones. The speed traps just take a picture of your car at the exact moment you pass it. The game then ranks you against other players from your friends list. The speed zones are similar, except that it tracks your average speed between two points.

The final race in the demo, is a street race called Dam and Out. It looks as though in future races of this type you will be able to select from the different cars you have collected while playing the game. Of course, since this is a demo, you can only drive the Mustang that you earned in the previous race.

Overall, the Forza Horizon demo is very well executed. I typically don't play too many racing games, because I tend to bore easily. However, with all the changes to the pacing of the game, and the variety of different race types, my attention is peaked. I would think that the hardcore Forza fan will be extremely happy with the new game. I also believe that the more casual (Need for Speed, Midnight Club) racing fan will also enjoy this much more than the previous Forza games. There is no doubt that Forza is the most realistic racing series on the 360, and with the most recent and mediocre editions of Gran Turismo it may be the best of the best on any console.

- me

Back