Xbox One Game Informer gives Microsoft a C for E3

Esperahol

There were a lot of reasons why including but not limited to stupid things said by Don Mattrick, lack of support for both offline gamers and entire countries (Japan and Poland), and lacking any software to explain why players are paying more for the included Kinect. I honestly think this grading is a little generous, but then again they did have a pretty nice selection of games on display. Going forward MS is going to have to put their best foot forward. They took one step by pulling back the policies presented. They took another by having playable consoles at Comicon. They unfortunately took two back when an employee opened his mouth and let slip what "Family Share " was all about. That said if they can get their PR under control and keep presenting some really great games they should hopefully raise this to an A... Unless you know the console decides to go all RROD or something. Fingers crossed.

I think one of the big problems during the whole DRM PR scene was they didn't put their best foot forward when explaining WHY they wanted to implement their strategy. I get the strong feeling that if during the XB1 announcement they talked a little bit, and more importantly showed, more of the games that utilized persistent worlds, seamless drop-in/drop-out ability, new IPs with online worlds, and constantly updating game data, they would get everyone more excited. Then, while everyone is more excited, they can let people know that games of this advanced caliber need online connectivity in order to make it these features work. Had they done this, I think the reception would have been a lot more understanding, and many more people would embrace the bold step. Of course, they should make accommodations to offline support, but if they wanted better reception, they needed to have some context to their announcement.

And what about Japan and Poland? Even with the ability to get online they would have gotten no support... so what would trying to tie in this other "possible" stuff have gotten them? There are some good traits that were possible, but DRM needed have been included in any of it - that is what Xbox Live accounts are for afterall.

Yeah well it makes sense considering their presentation was not that good overall and did displease most of the people sitting in the crowd. When you get booing while you are presenting your new console I find that it would be hard for a company like Game Informer to give you any kind of good score, it just does not happen.
Also had they shown off a little more of what it could actually do instead of talking about how you will always have to have internet connection then it might have at least gotten a B. Hey at least it no longer has always online so that people who can't will still be able to play the games they want.

I agree that Microsoft didn't exactly give a strong performance. The DRM was just a bad idea, period. I understand why they're doing it, but when competing with someone who isn't using any form of DRM, you're going to lose more business than you'll gain. Certainly the console announcements have improved since the resounding criticism of the DRM strategy, but it honestly still feels like Microsoft is playing catch-up to Sony after E3. Here's to hoping they'll pull out some surprise that really seals the deal, eh?

I agree that Microsoft didn't exactly give a strong performance. The DRM was just a bad idea, period. I understand why they're doing it, but when competing with someone who isn't using any form of DRM, you're going to lose more business than you'll gain. Certainly the console announcements have improved since the resounding criticism of the DRM strategy, but it honestly still feels like Microsoft is playing catch-up to Sony after E3. Here's to hoping they'll pull out some surprise that really seals the deal, eh?

At this point I really think MS would be content to just kind of be the "Other" PS4. Instead of focusing on what could make their console a better product working with what they have, they just keeping following Sony's lead. I mean recently they have announced that they too do recordings. Before that it was that they also lacked DRM and regions. At this point it is getting kind of ridiculous, but we'll see how well this worked out for them come release and the time there after.

A C is a pretty high score, all things considered. They showed games and all but they critically failed to explain their DRM. They completely ignored the DRM except for Don Mattrick saying dumb crap here and there, which didn't really help their case at all. If they wanted to enforce such DRM, they should have explained it all properly. Maybe after being explained the people wouldn't have been so mad... though there's the possibility that explaining it would have made people even madder because the X1 would still be competing with a system with much lighter DRM policies.

They did show neat games, at least...

At this point I really think MS would be content to just kind of be the "Other" PS4. Instead of focusing on what could make their console a better product working with what they have, they just keeping following Sony's lead. I mean recently they have announced that they too do recordings. Before that it was that they also lacked DRM and regions. At this point it is getting kind of ridiculous, but we'll see how well this worked out for them come release and the time there after.

Really, in my opinion, following the PS4's lead is the best thing they can do, right now. As we've seen, Microsoft can't be trusted making up their minds about their own policies, so if they want to do whatever Sony does, that's a-okay with me.

I'm gone and busy for a week on other things and this website has divulged into this?

The "Other PS4" is this a joke?

Microsoft is setting themselves in the position to differentiate from the PS4 and not to try and be "the other console".

We've known about the Upload station and recordings for a while.

So you basically missed all the Smartglass and Kinect news that came out of Comic-con?

I'm gone and busy for a week on other things and this website has divulged into this?

The "Other PS4" is this a joke?

Microsoft is setting themselves in the position to differentiate from the PS4 and not to try and be "the other console".

We've known about the Upload station and recordings for a while.

So you basically missed all the Smartglass and Kinect news that came out of Comic-con?

...Dude don't do this. You don't have to agree. You don't have to like what I "said". You can post your own understanding of whatever or a rebuttal - but don't be abrasive. It isn't conducive to conversation and that's what a forum is all about okay? I'm allowed an opinion of my own. Also the "news" about the Kinect means nothing to mean since it doesn't have anything to do with making it optional, also Smartglass is just sort of a fail for me in terms of interest.

...Dude don't do this. You don't have to agree. You don't have to like what I "said". You can post your own understanding of whatever or a rebuttal - but don't be abrasive. It isn't conducive to conversation and that's what a forum is all about okay? I'm allowed an opinion of my own. Also the "news" about the Kinect means nothing to mean since it doesn't have anything to do with making it optional, also Smartglass is just sort of a fail for me in terms of interest.

I'm expressing my opinion that your opinion is wrong.

I'm taking the plunge. After they backpedaled on the online/used game policies, I changed my mind on going to PS4 (which I don't trust Sony much either - getting a console with features that they took away with little warning, no compensation or recourse left me with a grudge).

So unless something drastically changes, my kit is all paid off, complete with 3 games, extra controller, and headset.

I've never understood this "won and lost" E3 thing. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean squat. All that matters is the end result of sales. Case in point, years ago Nintendo had a "horrid" E3 when they showed off the Wii. The media was laughing as were most fanboys. Yet low price or not, it sold like crazy.

So giving Microsoft a C doesn't mean anything once all is said and done.

I don't think they even deserve a C, a 'C' is a pass and people were certainly too pissed off at the event to count it as a pass. All they've done is show some games (mostly sequels) and the rest was just garbage , DRM , No support in certain countries , and the focus on kinect which the majority of the community never asked for. It really doesn't deserve a C, the crowds were roaring for Sony, but Microsoft just got boo's and hisses.

I've never understood this "won and lost" E3 thing. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't mean squat. All that matters is the end result of sales. Case in point, years ago Nintendo had a "horrid" E3 when they showed off the Wii. The media was laughing as were most fanboys. Yet low price or not, it sold like crazy.

So giving Microsoft a C doesn't mean anything once all is said and done.

It's just how they did things in the show, some sort of system that will help them improve next time, so that they can fix some things they did wrong and help them sell their products better. Because sometimes, you need stuff like this to tell you that you should listen to the customers before spouting stuff.

Back