Xbox One Game of Thrones New Story, Side Story or Based on Novels/TV Series Story?

diamondback8

All right so I've finished Season 1 of Game of Thrones and wow, fantastic. The season finale caught my attention. I'm eager to get started with S2 and S3 before Season 4 on April. Now, knowing GoT is heading towards us in the gaming world, what do guys think: will it be a new story, a side story (ala TWD: Video Game which is based on the comics but is a parallel side story) or based on the novel/TV series where it covers the original events and lets us play as one of the main characters?

I'm going to make guess that it'll be a side story to the Game of Thrones. Or.... it could even be an adaptation of the events BEFORE the events of Game of Thrones. Yes, it might take the route of The Wolf Among Us! See, there's a lot of things that happened before we are introduced to Winterfell. We especially hear a lot about The Mad King. I'm calling it: Game of Thrones game will be a PREQUEL that gives us more background to what happened before Game of Thrones happened. I'm sure Telltale will adapt the stories before GoT into a game. Heck, Martin (author of the series) even wrote prequel stories that tell about the legends of the Hill Tribes, etc... So the new GoT game is a prequel. My guess. Whaddya guys think? ;)

It could go any way really... one thing is almost certain, though... it's gonna be good.

All right so I've finished Season 1 of Game of Thrones and wow, fantastic. The season finale caught my attention. I'm eager to get started with S2 and S3 before Season 4 on April. Now, knowing GoT is heading towards us in the gaming world, what do guys think: will it be a new story, a side story (ala TWD: Video Game which is based on the comics but is a parallel side story) or based on the novel/TV series where it covers the original events and lets us play as one of the main characters?

I'm going to make guess that it'll be a side story to the Game of Thrones. Or.... it could even be an adaptation of the events BEFORE the events of Game of Thrones. Yes, it might take the route of The Wolf Among Us! See, there's a lot of things that happened before we are introduced to Winterfell. We especially hear a lot about The Mad King. I'm calling it: Game of Thrones game will be a PREQUEL that gives us more background to what happened before Game of Thrones happened. I'm sure Telltale will adapt the stories before GoT into a game. Heck, Martin (author of the series) even wrote prequel stories that tell about the legends of the Hill Tribes, etc... So the new GoT game is a prequel. My guess. Whaddya guys think? ;)

Hahahaha. Me too! I finished Season 1 recently. Fantastic, I say. As for what story they'll portray for the game, it can go either way. Whatever the story, it's gonna be good, as Claptrap says. But I do hope they make a prequel to explain some stuff. I mean, seriously: the Mad King, Robert's Rebellion, Ned Stark's sister, the wars before A Song of Fire & Ice....! Martin's created a world way before the proper story began so yeah, why not right? I'd love to see Robert's Rebellion and the Mad King era portrayed in visuals baby! But any way can go.

It can go either way but I do like the idea of prequel. There's a lot of things about GoT that happened before the events of Season 1 (the first book). Always notice that the characters in the TV show talk about the past often? They always mention the Mad King, Robert's Rebellion, Jaime Lannister's actions, etc... Telltale can expand more on these by doing The Wolf Among Us path and make a prequel. But they can also do The Walking Dead and set a story parallel to what happens in the original story. Hehehehe, we might be playing our own Lee in the game ;-D

If it were up to me, I want the game to be based on the novels or main storyline. I like to go through the events from the story and experience it myself. However, it's fine by me also if they decided to make a side story or a spin-off as long as the game is good. Right now, I just want to see the game get made.

I love the prequel idea. There's just so many things in the past of GoT that we all have to see. I especially am interested in the Mad King era 'cuz it's like even with new kings on the Iron Throne, the Mad King really had the impact on all the characters and he still has a presence we don't get to see but feel. We gotta see this in the game! But if not, I'm cool with it. But I still hope it's a prequel.

Either way will be fine, for as long as the storytelling is as good as the TV series/novels. I have faith in Telltale to do the show/novel justice. But man, that prequel idea is nice though.

If it were up to me, I want the game to be based on the novels or main storyline. I like to go through the events from the story and experience it myself. However, it's fine by me also if they decided to make a side story or a spin-off as long as the game is good. Right now, I just want to see the game get made.

So you'd love to see play the story yourself instead of watching it? Well, that's a nice idea too, to draw in more people to get into the series. That'd be nice too. but yeah, I agree to: this game MUST get made!

Yup, it's got to be made! But I think it will get made. They'll get it done. We just got to see it happen! And... hahaha. The sex scenes. I'm wondering how Telltale will handle that.

It could go any way really... one thing is almost certain, though... it's gonna be good.

I'm not really a fan of the series but hey if this thing looks really good, I wouldn't mind getting it.

I think they've said it would be its own thing away from the series and therefore likely a prequel type story involving a different set of characters from the show and maybe even books.

I think they've said it would be its own thing away from the series and therefore likely a prequel type story involving a different set of characters from the show and maybe even books.

So it's sort of like a hybrid if The Wolf Among Us (prequel to Fable) and The Walking Dead (side story but stand-alone) were to be merged. So it might really be like what diamondback8 wishes it to be: a prequel but standlone. It seems like a good idea 'cuz it can really give us more insight into the events before the story but at the same time, it'll give new fans a new forge into the Game of Thrones. Kind of like Bates Motel: a spin-off, standalone prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

Sweet then. If it is a prequel, then it'll speak about the Mad King! Or it might even go beyond that and pretty much expand on the things that happened even before Game of Thrones began. Excited!

So it's a prequel type and is meant to stand on its own? So it may in fact, like what diamondback8 is betting, cover the events that happened before Season 1 or A Song of Fire & Ice (first book) happened. That would actually work because unlike The Wolf Among Us where references to Fables were quite heavy, a prequel Game of Thrones may work on account that while there will be references to the future, it'll still work standalone because not much was known about what happened in the past. So it can give Telltale the advantage to really set the story to really make it standalone. Hoohoh, this is going to be exciting.

So it's sort of like a hybrid if The Wolf Among Us (prequel to Fable) and The Walking Dead (side story but stand-alone) were to be merged. So it might really be like what diamondback8 wishes it to be: a prequel but standlone. It seems like a good idea 'cuz it can really give us more insight into the events before the story but at the same time, it'll give new fans a new forge into the Game of Thrones. Kind of like Bates Motel: a spin-off, standalone prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

This. Well said, thedoodseven. You're as much a fan of GoT as me. And whoa, you actually know Bates Motel's state as a prequel huh? Good. Yeah, it might be like that too although Bates Motel does stray a bit far from the lore of Psycho on account it takes place in modern times, it switches the location of the motel and other details but still, it does explain why Norman became the titled Psycho after all. Game of Thrones, on the other hand, can be a standalone prequel which will entice gamers to watch or read the series. Good move, Telltale.

Sweet indeed. I cannot wait to see what Telltale will do. If I see even a glimpse of Ned Stark's sister or even the Mad King, then I'm going to be in a nerdgasm.

I've only started watching the series two weeks ago (well I'm still on the 1st 5 episodes), it's kinda good I would say. So I wouldn't mind getting this game at all since I see that the series was quite a hit to everyone.

Oooh, the books are SO good. The series is good too, of course. I would dig a prequel a la Wolf/Walking Dead by Telltale. I don't know, if they go the way of some of the other movies that have gone to video game it could go either way. I typically stay as far away from those games as possible because, well, quite often the games just suck.

If they did such an epic undertaking as Skyrim then well, yeah, it would be great. Oftentimes it seems that the developers don't put nearly enough effort into games based on shows/movies (even though this is originally a set of novels, it gained tremendous popularity when it appeared on HBO, so for sake of the thread, I'm calling it a show/movie).

The real fun doesn't start till the end of Season 3

Season 3 is based on the first half A Storm of Swords.... hohohoho. You're really teasing mod-dood. I only just finished Season 1. Starting with Season 2. Seems there's really going to be a lot of stuff going down by Season 3's end huh? Cannot wait to get to the end.

Oooh, the books are SO good. The series is good too, of course. I would dig a prequel a la Wolf/Walking Dead by Telltale. I don't know, if they go the way of some of the other movies that have gone to video game it could go either way. I typically stay as far away from those games as possible because, well, quite often the games just suck.

If they did such an epic undertaking as Skyrim then well, yeah, it would be great. Oftentimes it seems that the developers don't put nearly enough effort into games based on shows/movies (even though this is originally a set of novels, it gained tremendous popularity when it appeared on HBO, so for sake of the thread, I'm calling it a show/movie).

I agree. Some of those developers just think that by making the adaptations in games and just make it under-developed, the fans can like it. Hehe, like that will work. (Batman Begins.... argh, I hated that videogame adaptation). But I have faith Telltale can do something great with GoT. I didn't think The Walking Dead would rock when it was based on the comics but look how far they got... even when it has a new set of characters that are parallel to the original story (even including 2 characters from the original story), it was awesome.

Hmmmm... but interesting to know if they'll adapt the novel or the show/movie. The novel had a lot of things that was never adapted to the show/movie or even changed. Telltale, as we can see, adapted mostly to the literary source with the exception to Back to the Future. So we'll see if Game of Thrones will adapt to the novel or show/movie. Well, let's hope they can do something good with their license. I'm looking forward to this.

Back