Xbox 360 GameSpot Article Focusing on Sex in Video Games

Bluefrogs

You can read the full article here, Video Games Have Sexually Matured - GameSpot.com, but in a nutshell, it explains how video games have "matured" and now incorporate complex relationships instead of just crude, partial nudity. What are your thoughts on the use of sex in video games? After reading the article, what do you have to say?

I don't have an issue with the appearance of sex in video games. In my opinion, it's no different than the appearance of violence in video games. Sex is a part of life and if a video game is trying to be realistic, technically sex should be a part of the characters' relationships. However, I do have an issue with adult-themed video games being marketed to minors; that's not cool. If the game is sexually-explicit and/or violent, it should be marketed to adults only.

I think the article is right. I think video games really have matured, and that the sexual content in most of them is much more tasteful than it was a few years ago. There are still some raunchy, crude games out there that feature sex for the sake of nudity and shock value, but some of the better games actually incorporate sex into romantic relationships. I try to avoid the raunchy and crude games but I don't mind the occasional "steamy" cut scene, so long as it fits in the storyline.

I agree with the article. The video game industry has come a long way and made a lot of progress in regards to sex in video games. I just bought a video game today that's rated M (Mature/17+) for sexual content, and from what I've seen so far, there's only been the implication of sex - no nudity and no graphic scenes. Personally, I'm okay with that. I don't care to watch two characters engage in sexual activity, however I'm okay with the implication of it if the point is to create a more in-depth, realistic storyline.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I agree with the article, too. I've never been crazy about sex in video games, because in the past, it's always been sleazy and cheap. I think a lot of people must have shared that opinion though, because over the years, the video game developers have really changed the way they integrate sex into video games, and you rarely ever see those stupid, sleazy sex scenes in video games anymore, even in the M-rated games.

Back