Xbox One GameStop A Big Factor In Xbox One DRM Reversal

PB7

Former Administrator
Gamestop.png

A GameStop employee who refused to identified is saying that GameStop stopped taking preorders for the Xbox One as well as doubled their PS4 inventory. In the report the employee says that GameStop wanted to stop carrying Xbox Ones because it directly impacted their sales with the DRM requirements. They were probably just doing whats best for the company. I think most of their money is from used game sales anyways.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and reports were surfacing that GameStop had stopped taking pre-orders for the Xbox. This alone was concerning, but when Wario64 reported that his store had been allocated almost double the amount of PlayStation 4s, things were looking grim for Microsoft.

Speaking to a GameStop employee today, who chose not to be identified by name, we’ve discovered that GameStop likely played a large role in Microsoft reversing the Xbox One’s policies. “We were told that we weren’t going to get anymore Xbox One’s,” she said, “because the DRM directly impacted our capital, we were not going to push it as hard as we were the PS4, and that involved stocking less units.”

Via: Stickskills

I'm not surprised, actually. Microsoft Blockbuster and rent any game I wanted and I was sure it would work; and I only had to pay a$5 rental fee. Now they want me to pay $60 just for the privilege of trying a game? Give me a PS4 over the Xbox One anyday.

Gamestop is a big player, so I'm not surprised. I still think the huge negative response from gamers was every bit as important, but Gamestop is a major game retailer, and they will naturally have some influence.

I don't believe this for a moment considering Gamestop has no control over their allotments for hardware as the article suggests. In fact it was confirmed by Gamestop that the Xbox One was taken out of systems to prevent continued preordering as they ran out of their allotment of Xbox One's.

If Gamestop had really decided to stop carrying the Xbox One they would have taken it off their website and stopped preordering for it altogether.

Well, after changing their policies, i think that GameStop will be able to take Xbox One pre-orders again, if not, it's only their loss.

I'm sure that GameStop wasn't the only retailer pushing back on the DRM policies. BestBuy, Target, and WalMart all sell used games and have trade-in programs as well. Target and WalMart particularly focuses on the budget shopper, so their value titles and used game inventory are critical to their average consumer. Average, everyday customers will browse and make a spontaneous $15-$20 game purchase a lot more frequently than someone buying a $60 full price. Shoppers paying full price typically went to the store with the aim of just buying the game and not much out. While they always want to cater to those customers, the big box stores know that their bread and butter are the Moms and Dads who shop their regularly and hope to upsell them a game or two.

Without unrestricted, used games on the shelves, BestBuy, GameStop, Target, WalMart, and many other retailers are losing out on hundreds of millions in potential revenue.

So yes, I believe that GameStop may have been part of the gentle "persuasion" of the policy changes, but I don't believe for a second that they were the main reason behind the change. There is a lot of factors that go into such huge, business-shaping policies as this one.

roadies... what Walmart's and Targets are you going to ? I have never seen a used game for sale at either of these stores... heck I really rather doubt BestBuy does this either. They sell Platinum Hits and such, but there really isn't a profit in used games for them. That said I can see them not stocking Xbox Ones if they're getting reports that consumers just straight up hate the stupid things.

I doubted it was based solely on complaints. I knew there had to be something else.
Game Stop would've definitely been a huge factor for them... That's a ton of money for Microsoft just gone...
So many people go just to GameStop for their games and consoles. Microsoft would've lost a ton.

Yeah, makes sense. I mean, that's capitalism at work, doesn't surprise me either. It all kind of seems like one of those deals where it's a retailer struggling to hang on, I still feel that downloading games vs. buying them in stores will be the future if we like it or not. It would be nice if these companies would actually pass the savings on to the consumer, but that isn't likely to happen often. I've posted on these forums before that if online purchase reduced the cost of games by $10 or so, that's probably the amount GameStop would give you for your game a few months later anyway. I didn't like all of Microsoft's DRM handling specifics, like if I download a game I don't see why it needs to check in on me constantly after that, but most other aspects of the new Xbox are the inevitable future anyway, and GameStops are doomed.

roadies... what Walmart's and Targets are you going to ? I have never seen a used game for sale at either of these stores... heck I really rather doubt BestBuy does this either. They sell Platinum Hits and such, but there really isn't a profit in used games for them. That said I can see them not stocking Xbox Ones if they're getting reports that consumers just straight up hate the stupid things.
I think it's online used games and such pretty sure I seen it at my local bestbuy too.

MS just started doing what Sony was already doing selling more pre-orders than they could build by release day.

Pretty predictable to be honest. Microsoft gets half their funds from Gamestop itself, and it's one of the major parts in selling Microsoft's products. I guess it's better for both Microsoft and the users since the change boosted up the Xbox One's sales pretty good.

Pretty predictable to be honest. Microsoft gets half their funds from Gamestop itself, and it's one of the major parts in selling Microsoft's products. I guess it's better for both Microsoft and the users since the change boosted up the Xbox One's sales pretty good.
Gamestop is only one of 5 top selling retail partners for MS no way do they account for 50%.

Wow, that certainly would have been terrible for Microsoft. Gamestop is a huge deal so if they didn't carry it... yeah, that would definitely affect sales.

It's still kind of a douche move what Gamestop did, though. I hated the Xbone's DRM "features" but Gamestop basically forced Microsoft's hand...

Many factors played in the reversal of the Xbox One DRM policies. Even loyal 360 owners were planning to switch to the PS4. Microsoft reversed the DRM policies because they were desperate, they needed sales. If they continued with the DRM policies, PS4 would probably have more than tripled their sales. Gamestop definitely played a part in the reversal as well, if they sold less games, that would impact their profits a lot.

If xbox Removes simplicity of selling games and helping my friends download them so we can play together might just have to give up on xbox can stand the whole buying to play online but i can't take this new installment at all

We don't have a Target in my town, but I've never seen a used game at a Wal-Mart either. Around here, only place to buy used games are GameStop and small stores that offer trade in.
For example, we have a music store in the mall that will trade in old games and consoles for store credit, even older ones than GameStop.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Gamestop going the way of the dinosaur this coming generation. They absolutely screw gamers over by giving you $3 in trade in credit for a recently released game, then selling that same game for just $5 off full retail value. Games depreciate in price pretty rapidly now. Let's take Bioshock Infinite for example, already you can find it for under $30 online. You would never find that at Gamestop. The masses need to be educated about how shady Gamestop is in their business tactics.

Many factors played in the reversal of the Xbox One DRM policies. Even loyal 360 owners were planning to switch to the PS4. Microsoft reversed the DRM policies because they were desperate, they needed sales. If they continued with the DRM policies, PS4 would probably have more than tripled their sales. Gamestop definitely played a part in the reversal as well, if they sold less games, that would impact their profits a lot.
Sony stabbing MS in the back also had a lot to do with changing the DRM, Sony was set to do the same thing until fans started crying!

Wow, that certainly would have been terrible for Microsoft. Gamestop is a huge deal so if they didn't carry it... yeah, that would definitely affect sales.

It's still kind of a douche move what Gamestop did, though. I hated the Xbone's DRM "features" but Gamestop basically forced Microsoft's hand...

Gamestop is a huge factor for Microsoft, and it was probably forced, but Gamestop itself gets most of their income from used games. If Microsoft did go through with the policy, it would be a lose lose situation for both companies.

Back