Original Xbox Good for children?

Pamalala

Some cousins of mine were wondering whether they should get an original Xbox for their kids or not. The original is now cheaper than teh 360, and the cousins figure that if the kids end up breaking it, it won't matter so much because they didn't spend that much on it. What do you think? Can an original Xbox stand up to rambunctious kids?

Sure it can... We had one for years when the kids were younger. You just teach the kids to be easy on things and take care of things. I don't think they would have any problem with the X-box.

Dang, how destructive are their kids? Sure, an original Xbox will hold up to kids, but if their kids are very destructive I would not buy anything for them, untill they learn to control themselves.

Dang, how destructive are their kids? Sure, an original Xbox will hold up to kids, but if their kids are very destructive I would not buy anything for them, untill they learn to control themselves.

Haha, I think they're more clumsy than directly destructive. For instance, they accidentally broke their Playstation by tripping over something on the floor and landing on top of it.

Even if they're just clumsy, the results are the same. If they're always breaking things, maybe it would be easier on the parents' wallet to go for whatever is the cheapest. With extreme treatment, it doesn't really matter how durable an Xbox is. It's eventually going to get broken anyway.

To be honest, I would purchase my kids the Xbox 360, because the gaming experience is quite superior. Buying what is cheaper should not be the solution to the children's clumsiness. I agree with Miss X and zanyweb - if the children keep breaking their toys, they shouldn't get new ones...

I agree with William and the others. If they are that destructive no system is going to stand up to their treatment. It's probably a good idea to just find a good deal on a 360, even a used one. Keep the console on a shelf under the TV or something.

Well, I gave my old original Xbox away and it's still intact at my friend's kids. They behave though and still use it sometimes. Children should be taught how to behave and if they brake their toys they should not get new ones until they begin to see the importance of their own stuff. It's not like money grow on trees you know.

Yeah, after all, I don't think those kids are savages, to break the poor console. If the parents explain them that breaking it would leave them without nothing to play on, probably the would take care of it.

Why not? They will probably enjoy it very much and if they see how much they like it, they will take care of the console, without breaking or damaging it. And the original xbox is pretty tough.

I know adults that still have the original and for a child I really doubt it makes a large difference. I would only factor in age as if they are in their late teens the newer model might be a better choice as far as games (and graphics) go.

It's ok to buy one for kids, just make sure you put it somewhere safe and keep on eye on the children when they're playing. It's a good method to keep the kids occupied if you have chores to do around the house :)

Purchase an xbox 360 and kinect. That way, the kids won't need to touch anything so they won't break anything. Kinect has a lot of fun games for kids too. Don't get me wrong, the original xbox was superb but you would get more value for money with the xbox 360+ kinect.

My best friend used to have an original Xbox when we were young. It lasted forever and seemed to last through everything.
The Xbox360 they had, though, had to be replaced almost immediately because their dog knocked it down.
I've known of people having more issues with Xbox360s. So the original is probably more kid-safe.
My only concern would be that there probably wouldn't be a warranty.

I think the idea is good, instead of throwing it away or buying a totally new one for small children to play with, better get a cheap old version. If they break it, it's replaceble.

Sounds like a good idea, just make sure you buy them Halo so they can catch up as they get older ;)

Give them a ball? Honestly if you are worried about game choices there are plenty for both that appeal to all age demographics the fact that the original is cheaper may not help you out as much because the games are harder to find

I think that they would probably enjoy the xbox a lot. I have never experienced any problems with the xbox, and there are some pretty good games on it including lego star wars, kotor, fifa, and others. If they would really want to get an original xbox, then you should get one!

The original Xbox is pretty tough. Some idiot on Youtube did a video where they smashed up an Xbox and it still powered up. There were a lot of good games for the original Xbox and I think they'll get a lot of use out of it. I still enjoy my original Xbox and play it from time to time.

And don't just think about the price of the console, think of the price of games. A lot of games for the original Xbox are $2 or $3 on Amazon, eBay or at Goodwill. That's a lot cheaper than $20-$50 for Xbox 360 games.

The original Xbox is pretty tough. Some idiot on Youtube did a video where they smashed up an Xbox and it still powered up. There were a lot of good games for the original Xbox and I think they'll get a lot of use out of it. I still enjoy my original Xbox and play it from time to time.

And don't just think about the price of the console, think of the price of games. A lot of games for the original Xbox are $2 or $3 on Amazon, eBay or at Goodwill. That's a lot cheaper than $20-$50 for Xbox 360 games.

Good point. However, there are some games that cost a lot of money new. Kotor, one of the best xbox games imo, costs $70 new! (but only 10 used).

Back