Xbox One How important is backwards compatibility to you?

It is definitely more than possible for both Sony and Microsoft to make their new systems backwards compatible. It is not as if they do not have experience doing it, they have done it with prior transitions such as in Sony's case where the developers made the PS2 backwards compatible with PS1 titles. I think they chose not to implement the feature just to keep costs down. It would be nice to have it, but it isn't a necessity what with the hype of what there is to look forward to.

This is definitely a feature that can only add to the user experience. There are literally no downsides to making the Xbox One backwards compatible. Of course, some of you can argue that it is not necessary since you will be playing the next generation titles, but you shouldn't lie, sometimes you boot up that old system just to play one of the classics. It's the same deal here, plus there are plenty of games I still haven't played for the 360 that I would like to. To have to unplug the new system just to port the 360 to play one of its games, then switch back seems rather inefficient to me.

At the moment I can't say it matters much for me because I usually keep my older consoles even when I switch to a newer version. While it is certainly nice to be able to play my older games on a newer console it's not really a make or break situation in my opinion, if you get rid of your [old console] then it's really your fault that you can't play [game].

Personally I think that all next gen consoles of a particular manufacturer should be backward compatible. Why cut off your own catalogue of games?
If consoles aren't gonna be backward compatible then, like has been done for some titles, they should be made available for download through the consoles store.
Thing is, you've gotta pay twice if you buy the download version which isn't really fair.
Maybe when you buy a game from now on it should come with a digital download code too?

It's very important. I mean, it opens up an entire extra generation of gaming for you. Let's say for example that i skip a generation (as i might currently be contemplating) and i pick up the next one, i want to play this series' newest title but the last one is LAST gen. This console is twice as powerful, but for some reason it won't play it. That's bull, now i have to go get a 360, or whatever. And what about my old games? What about when my 360 stops working? I would have to get a new one. That's bull.

Of course, backwards compatibility has become much more complicated than that, it used to be pretty simple but now it's a feature that just isn't free, and a feature that they perhaps feel "doesn't serve the current gen", so it should be cut. I think Sony's solution is fantastic, using cloud gaming to play your old titles.

It was really important to me on 360, but then once I actually got it and starting playing the games, the last thing I wanted to play was original Xbox games again, also, im not paying £429 for a console to play games that work on a console I already own.

It was really important to me on 360, but then once I actually got it and starting playing the games, the last thing I wanted to play was original Xbox games again, also, im not paying £429 for a console to play games that work on a console I already own.

But wouldn't you just expect the feature to be in there when you are playing such a ridiculous amount of money? I mean when the 360 came out in the UK it costed £279 which is significantly less than the Xbox One, so for that price you would just expect something extra with it, and the new Kinect really doesn't cut it here.

It's always an welcome bonus when consoles have backwards compatibility. Live in a small apartment and can't have all your consoles turned on even though you are a purist? Just play them on your new system. When i bought my PS3 i replayed through all of my old PS1 games, and just didn't played my PS2 games because i got the slim model and they weren't support no more.
So yeah, if they do that, great thing!

Biggest annoyance of the whole no backwards compatibility thing to me is in regards to the Kinect. I really don't want to have two Kinects sitting there so that my kids can play the games that they already have. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind having two Xboxs set up.

Personally, I love backwards compatibility even if I don't need it. I love the option to only have one system plugged in rather that fifty.
I do, however, usually keep my old systems. I don't sell to upgrade and I generally upgrade late. I still have my PS1 AND PS2 even though there's backwards compatibility.

Even though I usually keep my old consoles I do find it an important thing to have. I mean, when I bought my 3DS I didn't have a DS so it was great to be able to play those games (some of them being the best games I've ever played). It would have been great to get a PS2 compatible PS3 but they were too expensive for me, but despite that most of my PS3 games are PS2 remakes like the Jak and Daxter trilogy.

I just find it really important to preserve gaming history and backwards compatibility is a great way to do that. Not everyone is going to have every console ever and giving them an opportunity to still experience them is a great business strategy, in my opinion.

Though I can't stand half arsed backwards compatibility efforts. I remember going to my friends house to play some Xbox games and more than half of them didn't work on her 360 and she no longer had her original console. It just seemed ridiculous to me because I was so used to Nintendo's 100% backwards compatibility that they've had on their handhelds, Wii and WiiU. I understand Sony going back on their PS2 support to keep costs down but no excuses from Microsoft designing not fully compatible emulator.

Back