Xbox One How Xbox One TV will benefit gaming

ozadin

There are mixed opinions about the new TV option being implemented on the Xbox One. Some good, some bad, but Phil Spencer explains why it's good why Microsoft has made the investment of bringing TV to the Xbox One. The reason being is because TV shows are turning into games, or vice versa. They are very similar since they both have a storyline, they both require you to make decisions, and both have developing relationships between characters. Very interesting points made by Phil.

"This is where the television community is pushing already, and our Los Angeles studio is right at the centre of that," he told us, discussing the latter's Quantum Break - a time-freezing collaboration with Alan Wake studio Remedy in which players see their actions reflected in a live action TV show. "What you're going to see in this game is, you're going to have choice in what happens in the video on the television.

Via OXM

No thanks Phil. You can shove your TV back in your ***. The sole reason why I pre-ordered Xbox One is for the compelling games it has to offer. I don't need other fancy stuff.

The idea of bringing the two together is nice but honestly, I could care less. I'm not a huge television person. I just don't watch it.
TV bringing brought into the Xbox One just isn't something I'll use or that I'm interested in. He made good points, but it just doesn't effect some people.
I want my tv and video games separate.

Honestly, TV programmes suck balls nowadays. The TV feature is a nice addition, I guess, but I really couldn't care less for it. Specially since I don't live in USA so I won't even get such a feature if I buy an X1.

i am looking forward to it. right now i have time warner cable digital packge so i look forward to an hdmi and seeing how it all works. lets hope it can voice reconize the shows i want to see like they showed on their press release demo.

No thanks Phil. You can shove your TV back in your ***. The sole reason why I pre-ordered Xbox One is for the compelling games it has to offer. I don't need other fancy stuff.

You get a like and a virtual high-5 for this. I couldn't agree more. Presenting the Xbox One as an entertainment system before a gaming system is a bad move. I understand that they want to reach new people and more people but the games and the gamers should be your main audience. Old Man Jenkins and the Cat Lady down the street aren't buying a $500 piece of hardware to Skype on or look up info while watching TV. It's just the reality of it all. It should always be gaming first. I bet at an office meeting someone said, "the gamers will buy so let's broaden the field"... bad move, stupid move, secure your main target audience first.

I think that this is something has been tried with the 7th generation and didn't really work , and for some reason they are trying it again. There were some good things like being able to watch Netflix on your Xbox 360 but this whole TV integration is just rather unnecessary. They are really pushing the Xbox One as a media device, when in reality all we want is a console. It's a nice feature, but I fear that it will detract from the quality of the games.

I haven't had cable in years, so I don't know what exactly I'd be missing out on...little interest. I'm mainly movies and gaming.
I will see the occasional TV show and watch online or hit a friends house. I can't see spending $100/month on cable services, when I could use that to experience life with friends and other loved ones.
Just my 2 cents.

its funny how people are wanting the time warner app on 360 to release but the tv stuff on xb1 are hated.. such a double standard.

Can't say that it really interests me even slightly, when I get a console it's usually so that I can play games. I might watch Netflix on occasion but even then it's shows I know I'll enjoy and all this talk of how their similar because you make choices and characters develope together just sounds dumb. I'll be fine just playing games and not worrying about if Maria is going to get back with Mark even though she cheated on him with Susan or something similar.

You get a like and a virtual high-5 for this. I couldn't agree more. Presenting the Xbox One as an entertainment system before a gaming system is a bad move. I understand that they want to reach new people and more people but the games and the gamers should be your main audience. Old Man Jenkins and the Cat Lady down the street aren't buying a $500 piece of hardware to Skype on or look up info while watching TV. It's just the reality of it all. It should always be gaming first. I bet at an office meeting someone said, "the gamers will buy so let's broaden the field"... bad move, stupid move, secure your main target audience first.

I am glad Microsoft fired Don Matrix. What was he even thinking when he came up with such horrible ideas? I bet this guy would help Zynga's ship sink sooner now. Why they hired him in the first place? I loathe this guy so much. I would never have pre-ordered an Xbox One if Don was not fired.

They are trying something like Microsoft wants to integrate television with gaming, a multi-purpose entertainment device. But, I don't know why gamers hate the console just because they didn't talk about gaming? Seriously, don't we know what we are going to get already? It's the same games with better graphics, more console power and a flashy new console to show off. Kinect is the only good thing that lures me to Xbox One but PS4 doesn't even have that. I don't want to wait 6 years to get just new graphics because a PC could always fill that void without having to wait so long.

Like Windows 8 met with criticism but will be the future in next 5 years, I assume Xbox One will be accepted too in a different way that allows to game as well as enjoy entertainment in the living room. This integration might actually help non-gamers in the family to no hate the console because it occupies their HDTV all the time, lol!

I am glad Microsoft fired Don Matrix. What was he even thinking when he came up with such horrible ideas? I bet this guy would help Zynga's ship sink sooner now. Why they hired him in the first place? I loathe this guy so much. I would never have pre-ordered an Xbox One if Don was not fired.

Microsoft didn't fire Don Mattrick, he left so he can help out Zygna. I haven't heard any news of him recently, but hopefully he can bring back Zygna. Don't know why so much hate is going towards Don, but I wonder how things would pan out if he was still in the company.

Microsoft didn't fire Don Mattrick, he left so he can help out Zygna. I haven't heard any news of him recently, but hopefully he can bring back Zygna. Don't know why so much hate is going towards Don, but I wonder how things would pan out if he was still in the company.

What I understood was this:

Don Mattrick was responsible for the xbox one debacle. He was already in talks with Zynga to bring social gaming to xbox one. After the massively botched announcement and communications regarding the xbox one, which were ill-received by both press and public alike, MS told Mattrick they were going to 'move' his role in the company/division and he balked. In essence the writing on the wall was 'Resign or you're way out.', and since Mr. M was already in talks with Zynga, the jump for him was almost effortless. Now take a look at what Mr. M has done with Zynga since coming aboard...the coming months should prove to be entertaining, and not with games...lol

Just my two cents...but there it is.

imo: xbox one with its windows based operating system was destined for app's and general arcade type gaming similar to android/app store. they develop operating system very similar to both mentioned so it was nature of the beast.. this also was forcing their hand in indie gaming.. you cant allow a small developer like zenga or ny other app developer access and than say no to bigger developers without it being fair.

i dont think don mattrick was trying to buy zenga to get out of microsoft as a whole he understood what was comming and the ability of a small independant a was trying to cash in. with microsoft their is allot of paperwork and teams and advisors that are in the loophole that need to agree on product or way things go before it hits market.. its not the case with zenga they have free reign with whatever the ceo or head developer says... iirc when he was trying to purchase it was when zenga was so bad off it was a cheep buy... he could have ben building a portfolio... and who is to say zenga wouldnt have been part of microsoft development or fall under its umbrella if the deal happned.

imo: xbox one with its windows based operating system was destined for app's and general arcade type gaming similar to android/app store. they develop operating system very similar to both mentioned so it was nature of the beast.. this also was forcing their hand in indie gaming.. you cant allow a small developer like zenga or ny other app developer access and than say no to bigger developers without it being fair.

i dont think don mattrick was trying to buy zenga to get out of microsoft as a whole he understood what was comming and the ability of a small independant a was trying to cash in. with microsoft their is allot of paperwork and teams and advisors that are in the loophole that need to agree on product or way things go before it hits market.. its not the case with zenga they have free reign with whatever the ceo or head developer says... iirc when he was trying to purchase it was when zenga was so bad off it was a cheep buy... he could have ben building a portfolio... and who is to say zenga wouldnt have been part of microsoft development or fall under its umbrella if the deal happned.

I don't think he was trying to buy it outright either, but working on some sort of licensing deal. But you're statement of MS development umbrella I think is/was dead on. :eek:

Just like that MMO that was tied in with a TV show. That went really good, didn't it? So good i can't even remember the damn name.
And i am pretty sure that every game that comes out based on some TV show or movie is fated to be bad, so no, i prefer my games away from my television experience.

My Xbox experience is all about the game. I do not care to have my TV in any way involved on my Xbox. Maybe some will want it or enjoy it but I cannot see the need or reason for it in my gaming world.

Back