Xbox One If Microsoft announces the 720 and its core attraction is Kinect 2 are they dead?

AvalonX

After seeing that PS4 announcement its clear that Sony is not messing around. The PS4 is a monster. I was just thinking to myself what happens if Microsoft gets up there with the Kinect and people dancing again and they go for the casual? I think they would be in a lot of trouble. This motion gaming fad is winding down I think, a lot of people bought Kinect but like the Wii its just sitting there for Dance Central. What do you guys think?

It depends on what Kinetic 2 could do but at the same time to stay in the race Microsoft will have to go over and beyond PS4. I think Microsoft has done a good job so far exceeding expectations every since the birth of XBOX. I don't see why it would stop now though.

What if the Kinect 2.0 offers a Oculus VR-like feeling, lol. I know I`m just joking.

But seriously I hated Kinect because of everytime I think about it all I can think of is the lame JUST DANCE series. Is there even a guy that play that game. I do breakdancing but I hate that game, lol.

To answer your question: Yes, if Microsoft comes out with another casual Kinect-like device and hopes to maintain its customers-- it will not work.
Honestly; if they pull another attempt to capture the casual gamer and don't step it up to the hardcore gamers, i may have to switch to the PlayStation line D:

I don't like motion gaming, if I want to play tennis, I'll go and play tennis, not jump around my room pretending to. Games are for doing things that you can't/shouldn't do in real life, not emulating something that you could easily go out and do with real people and probably have a lot more fun and do more for you health. I'd be dissapointed if this and other future consoles focus too much on motion gaming.

If they focus too hard on the Kinect, then they are dead to me. I don't know if they will be dead in general, but yeah. Dead to me.

I don't think so i think kinect can be very useful if it is used subtly to do things like control menus and not be the star of a game but just play some small part in it but even more importantly microsoft are doing something amazing called illumi room where the kinect scans the rooms and then projects things from the game onto the wall which could make all games better, I cant attach a video but just search illumi room

I have my doubts that they'll alienate their hardcore crowd, even if they invest a lot into Kinect. That being said, you're very right about the PS4; I didn't even touch the PS3 this gen and I'm highly considering jumping ship if Microsoft's new console isn't phenomenal. They have a lot riding on their first reveal, and I hope they deliver.

Let's be real about this. People left Nintendo because the games were 'too childish'. (I personally love Nintendo games and I'm 26).
People have flocked to PS3 & 360 because of the types of games available. Mainly being more action orientated as opposed to platform as well as the more adult themed games like COD, BioShock and the like (at least for me anyway).
So for Microsoft to invest heavily in making the Kinect (which we all know is for kids and not real gamers) the focus of their new console launch would in my opinion be a silly move.

Nintendo used to be hardcore with games like Killer Instinct but went a bit soft with the amount of family games and more cartoon based characters which was finally topped off with the WiiMote which people didn't seem to like as much as they may have thought. I think most would agree that having to aim at the screen and do all the motions with your body just becomes a chore after a while and ultimately leads to a lack of desire to play. Most of us just want a good solid controller we can bash away on. So Microsoft should just stick to what works and has always worked... A controller. The fact that Nintendo have now pretty much ditched the Wii mote and all the motion stuff apart from that swipe technology and moved to a proper controller and integrated a screen into it is saying something.

Microsoft should leave the kinect to fade away into the background and forget they ever made it!

Well some higher ups in Microsoft are already quoted saying the new XBOX "isn't just about games". I think this bad. They are shooting themselves in the foot. You have a great point OP, PS4 is really catering to the customer, like it has always tried to do, and Microsoft is catering to its business portfolio and trying to come up with some futuristic super fun family machine.

Back