Xbox 360 If you hated Bioshock Infinite's story - why?

Esperahol

I have heard some people complain about the story - and while I doubt many of them actually played the story - I want to know what they felt made it weaker than 1 and/or 2 as well as why they feel that way. I've found that by looking at where other people found holes or inconsistencies I am better able to firm up my own understanding of the story which ends up making the game even better than it was before.

I actually didn't hate Bioshock Infinite for the story, but I was disappointed in it for other reasons. Mainly I don't like how they abandoned the immersion of exploring and rooting through a strange but familiar world in an open manner. They turned the game into an Halo experience, constantly moving forward, mowing down waves of faceless grunts with guns, moving from setpiece to setpiece with nothing else to observe or explore other than deliberate scripted events, and tossing around a few special abilities. Also, as much as they promoted Elizabeth and showcased some impressive stuff during last years E3, nearly none of that actually made it to the actual game. It was just as disillusioning as Aliens: Colonial Marines. Otherwise, I enjoyed the ride, even though it was just a ride. I wanted a Bioshock like in the original where you are an active part of the world around you, not observing it behind some glass walls and plot devices like in this one.

A lot of valid criticism I see on the story is in regards to continuity in the world. Especially since, in the games own rules, it makes no sense that vigors weren't commonplace among people even though they were commonplace in the world, and why scavenging is still around even though it serves no societal purpose, for example. The attempt at a mulitverse twist in the end actually doesn't follow continuity rules in the game's events (other articles detail and analyze it better than me). That ruffled a lot of people.

Thanks for being comprehensive with your feelings. I guess I didn't have that problem because I consciously did bother trying to explore and there were rewards for that. I also don't see it as a Halo experience because while there were waves of grunts and set pieces that wasn't all it was. Besides which this was the final thing they hadn't done - Bioshock 1 was heading toward the end, Bioshock 2 was after the end, but Bioshock Infinite was in the middle of the action. That would of course change how the game progressed.

As far as the continuity goes - NPCs mention that the kinks aren't worked out of the vigors and the vigors you find tend to be in realistic areas - telekinesis by the docks, electric bolts by the power plant, etc. Besides which folks like the Firemen and such are obviously crazy - and horribly disfigured - and most people would shy away from that if they were even able to get a hold of a vigor. As for the multiverse twist... the big problem with it is that people are trying to fit it into the context of their other experiences with multiverses and that doesn't work. It is really rather simple - Elizabeth basically pulled the same stunt from the Bioshock 2 but on a larger scale and there is a great deal of symbolism inherent. It was really great and I liked that they made the attempt.

I really like the story, and I enjoyed the twists and the turns but I wouldn't say that it was absolutely revolutionary or anywhere close to the best storyline in a game ever (which I've heard from some people). It's an interesting experience, and it makes you think, which is great of any story. I didn't see the ending coming, which is again very good.

Back