I'm so sick of how they handle Xbox LIve

cliverederson

I haven't played my Xbox in a while, fired it up this morning because I heard there was a Diablo 3 demo available. Now I own Diablo 3 on the PC already, but I wanted to see how it looked and plays with a controller on the 360. What do I find? I can't install the Diablo 3 demo because I don't have Xbox Live Gold?? Since when is this? I can't even try a game demo without being a subscriber? They should be thankful I have interest in trying their game, not blocking my access. It's absolutely ridiculous and I hate how they handle Xbox Live. It's the same with blocking access to Hulu and Netflix unless you're a subscriber. I think it's absolutely ridiculous and Live is a big part of the reason I'm turned off by Xbox gaming lately. /rant.

That happened to us as well. Ugh, we need to drop some change on a live gold membership but other stuff has been more important,

Blocking a game demo without a gold membership is a little harsh. It's not fair to you, the consumer, or the developers who may lose money because someone couldn't try it themselves. I have no idea when this went into effect because I've kept my gold status up to date. It's not always easy trying to balance other financial needs and still have this, but sometimes it's just got to be "Ramon Noodle" week lol.

I'm not sure they do it with all demos because I'm pretty sure I've downloaded a demo without Gold not too long ago, unless this is a new thing that just went into affect very recently. I suppose I could check and see. I tend to think they're just restricting the Diablo 3 demo specifically. It just makes no sense to me, I find it really irritating how they treat customers, I mean I still am an Xbox customer after all!

Could it be Diablo 3 requires an internet connection like on PC?

That's the other annoying thing... technically I've already paid for Diablo 3 anyway, I could install it on any computer (PC or Mac) and play on my account, I think I should get the console version too free and use my battle.net account, but I guess that's enirely too wishful in my thinking.

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps Blizzard requested that requirement? I know it doesn't matter, because you feel that Live should be free, but does not the PS3 have Diablo III? I could've sworn I read that they did and it's connected to your current account, go see how it plays with a controller over there. It will be less of a rant for you to have, but you'll achieve your overall goal.

I don't have a PS3... this is an Xbox forum. Yes, I guess it is entirely possible Blizzard requested that, but I don't see why they would? Why would they want LESS people to be enticed to purchase their game? I'm pretty sure you can play the PC demo free... I get that there's extra development work to port Diablo to the consoles, but they ported it for the Mac and I didn't have to pay an extra $60...

It would be really neat if they did connect the console Diablo 3 to my PC account, so I could play my same characters, but still it'd be paying 60 dollars for the privilege of playing the same game in a different room. Blizzard was also saying that controller support would come to the PC as well, but I'm still waiting for that to come to any sort of fruition.

But, you're complaining about basic, well known things that are associated with the 360, when there was a very clear and obvious alternative to all of the things you are sick of, in the PS3. So, the question is why did you use a console that you hate?

Let's keep it friendly here...Why not use the PS3? Well, maybe it was a choice between one system or the other. Not everyone can afford to have both systems. Perhaps the Xbox exclusive titles that were out/coming out were Clive's very favorite games? Maybe it was a gift or a hand me down console? We can go on an on about this, but in the end, each console has their good and bad attributes. Let's not piss on each others pancakes while we talk here. Please and thank you!

No idea where the pancake thing came from... ;)

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic at hand.

Just FYI this has been a practice now for a few years where select demos are opened up to Gold members before it's released for everyone else. It used to be a 2-3 week window though I have gold so I don't know if it's changed.

Sorry. I guess I'm just so weary of the "Live should be free" discussion. I will avoid them in the future.

Just FYI this has been a practice now for a few years where select demos are opened up to Gold members before it's released for everyone else. It used to be a 2-3 week window though I have gold so I don't know if it's changed.
This has been the case for quite some time. It will be available to silver members, although I'm on board with those who think demos should always be available for all.

I wasn't trying to come off as not friendly, if you meant me. But I mean, I'm not going to buy a PS3 just to play a demo of a game I already own. I just like the Xbox and I wish they'd improve the Live service, although I'm sure they won't since we know already how they plan to continue it on the One. In fact, I even find it a bit more justified that they charge for it on the One since they're actually running dedicated servers. I was mad when I was paying a service to set one guy in the Halo game as host, and he ran around killing us with less lag than everyone else had. But I digress...

Yeah, I always loved the Halo series so I had to get an Xbox, and I gladly paid for Live when I was totally engrossed in Halo matchmaking. But currently I'm more into PC gaming and I mostly use my Xbox to play Guitar Hero drums. So I mean, to get on my Xbox after months and just want to try a demo that .., hey who knows, maybe it'd get me into console gaming again lately, only to find I'm not even allowed to download a demo now, god forbid.

dyzposableherox: Thanks for the offer, that's very nice of you. It's ok though, like I said I have it on PC anyway, I just wanted to vent my frustrations. I apologize to anyone who is tired of this debate!

StingerNLG: That interesting! That might be what's going on here!

But wasn't it like that always? Xbox Live Gold members always get the demos one week early, you need to wait for them to be available on Xbox Live Silver membership to get them if you don't want to pay. Now, if that is a good or a bad thing, that is another business itself.

I had a similar problem when I first tried to play the TF2 that came with my Orange Box for XB360. I needed a gold membership to play it, which wasn't that much of an issue since I could buy small 1 months, but it was a bit confusing. I'm not surprised to see this is consistent for Microsoft. I don't hate them, but it does make me reluctant to give them my business in the future.

I had a similar problem when I first tried to play the TF2 that came with my Orange Box for XB360. I needed a gold membership to play it, which wasn't that much of an issue since I could buy small 1 months, but it was a bit confusing. I'm not surprised to see this is consistent for Microsoft. I don't hate them, but it does make me reluctant to give them my business in the future.

But TF2 is a multiplayer online game. That has always required Gold. Since I still have mine, I pulled it out. Right on the back of the box it says "Paid subscription required for online multiplayer, co-op and some downloads".

This has been true since the original Xbox. Just curious how this is their fault and you are reluctant to give them your business?

On a side note Clive, if you're looking to get Xbox Live Gold, I typically wait to find a good sale around the holidays for the one year subscription. I usually end up paying around $35-40 for it, so it isn't too bad. If I find a good deal online, I'll make sure to post it on the forums!

On a side note Clive, if you're looking to get Xbox Live Gold, I typically wait to find a good sale around the holidays for the one year subscription. I usually end up paying around $35-40 for it, so it isn't too bad. If I find a good deal online, I'll make sure to post it on the forums!

That would be great actually. My sub is up at the end of October. I will need to renew before then.

Thanks for the heads up, I know I got it one year for about $45 or so. I might do it again if a deal comes along, I dunno. I have had the itch to play some Halo lately. I just feel like it's a bit of a waste for me, I usually go months without turning my Xbox 360 on lately. If they ever re-release Halo 2 I'll be all over it for sure!

When did this Diablo demo come out? I assumed it's been out for more than a week by now. Maybe you guys are right about this though, if that's the case then I guess I don't have as much of a problem with that, but it still seems a bit silly.

This has been true since the original Xbox. Just curious how this is their fault and you are reluctant to give them your business?
It's not their fault, but it did strike me as similar to the OP's situation. I only haven't bought another Xbox because I haven't played it in such a long time and still don't know if it would be a worthwhile investment.

I think I will though, even if the new Xbox makes the old one moot.

Back