Xbox 360 Internet Explorer for the Xbox 360

I think they opened up a beta for it last month.

It's part of the beta, but beta testers aren't allowed to talk about it at this point. Once the beta testers are fee to talk about the updates, there will be a review up here ;)

I can't wait to see the reviews once they release them. Isn't it supposed to be available for everyone by the end of the year?

They are still testing it out with a small group of users right now, but I believe that you are correct Pauly, and that it will be available to everyone by the end of the year.

Is it still in testing? If so, how is the progress coming? I really can't wait for this. I know it isn't a feature anyone really needs, but it's a great concept.

Once release the Internet Explorer will make this console more lively than it is now. How does Microsoft select beta testers anyway:)?

I got the update yesterday and so did most of my friends. IE is really good on the Xbox 360. There is a cursor and it looks just like it would when browsing on the PC.

I've had IE for like 2 weeks now. Kinda good. better if you have the keypad but if not its cool cause you can control a mouse.

you can watch dirty videos too LOL

I've had IE for like 2 weeks now. Kinda good. better if you have the keypad but if not its cool cause you can control a mouse.

you can watch dirty videos too LOL

Yeah and you can go to the real Daily Motion instead of that watered down app version. :p

Meh, I don't really see this bringing anything to the table. Going on the internet on my Xbox doesn't sound too appealing to me. Being interrupted with game requests while reading, watching, or looking at something doesn't intrest me too much. I'd rather just push videos and content to my Apple TV.

So... what's next... Google Chrome and Firefox? I think I would pass on this feature too. I'd rather use a laptop or PC to browse the internet rather than hook up my Xbox 360 to my TV, switch on the TV and switch on the console only to browse the web. It's good that they included this feature but I don't see the Xbox replacing the PC... ever.

A browser is always going to be better on your computer. Even on your phone in fact. This is pretty much just about bringing as many features to the table as they possibly can. To many, it might seem useless at first because most sites still use Flash rather than the HTML 5 that IE for the 360 uses. But that'll change in time as HTML 5 becomes more common place.

I personally prefer to browse the internet from my computer, I don't even like the browser on my phone so I doubt I'll fall in love with IE for the console.

Have they added Kinect integration with this?? If not I think they're missing a huge trick. Voice commands etc would be excellent and being able to browse using your hands would be fantastic!!!!!!! :)

I like IE so far. Haven't had too many problems, but am having troubles with my little cousin going on naughty sites and pretending he is playing games in his room. *Sigh* another think to apply parental controls to. Just wish streaming was smoother, but I use the Youtube app for that.

Have they added Kinect integration with this?? If not I think they're missing a huge trick. Voice commands etc would be excellent and being able to browse using your hands would be fantastic!!!!!!! :)

I don't see that happening as it would distract attention from their SmartGlass app.

I didn't know this was possible. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking forward to an Xbox browser ever since I experienced it on the PS3. I always thought that the browser was something that would forever push the PS3 ahead of the Xbox but I was wrong.

So... what's next... Google Chrome and Firefox? I think I would pass on this feature too. I'd rather use a laptop or PC to browse the internet rather than hook up my Xbox 360 to my TV, switch on the TV and switch on the console only to browse the web. It's good that they included this feature but I don't see the Xbox replacing the PC... ever.
There really isn't a need for third party browsers, the built in IE browser will likely have extended permissions to do so much more for the user. In all honesty, I feel that most developer and browser owning corporations / organizations would be against porting to such a weak system as it would be far too slow in comparison to that on the PC and might very well leave the misconception that the real deals aren't up to the task, either.

I really need to ask, though... are any of you early testers willing to share an in-depth analysis of the browser for comparison? :eek:

I can't believe for one second Microsoft would allow third party browsers on their closed Xbox 360. Just doesn't seem like something they would consider. I also don't think I would ever use it, as reiterated earlier I too would only ever want to use a pc/laptop/tablet for browsing seriously. The Xbox 360 is for gaming and video to me, nothing else.

Back