Xbox 360 Is Kinect a waste of money?

I have a Kinect because it came with my Xbox... Honestly, I've never used it. I have no desire to.
The games don't suit me in most ways and I just don't like the overall idea of it.
However, I can see where it can come in handy with kids and to let them play but keep them active.

I think the Kinect was a bit over-ambitious and Microsoft mainly just uses it now as a gimmick. I remember when it was sort of at the height of its popularity and all the new games would use it as some kind of feature. I remember when I pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 that it said that players could use voice commands and things like that, but I never had any desire to do that whatsoever. I played some original Kinect games at a friends house, and I got bored very quickly. It's interesting for a few minutes until it loses its initial appeal--then it's just an eye sore.

Is it a waste of money?

Well, that depends. If the game you're playing doesn't need it or require it, there's really not a lot of motivation to buy a Kinect sensor. It's a cool device but you're not missing anything. It might be better to just wait for newer models, especially when the new XBox is released. I think we're going to see another strong push into "augmented" gaming, gesture-driven games.

Also, just keep your eyes open for a good used Kinect if you really must have it!

I'll be honest, I think Kinect was an experiment that didn't cost a lot to develop and barely paid off in the end. Motion controls were a gimmick, they are on their way out and I don't see many future XBOX games using the technology in any meaningful way. It's a shame that no real Kinect based games of interest came out on the 360, but it's better than shoehorning it in where it didn't belong.

Kinect Sports is simplistic and yet fun. I play the bowling and table tennis almost every day to get some aerobic exercise. The boxing is amazing and great for your arms. The soccer is pretty awesome. Overall, I enjoy Kinect Sports and would recommend it for a good work-out and for a family competition. Awesome game!!! :)

I would say no, the Kinnect has so many features and games! I personally love the sport games they have your whole body moving! Though I have a wii I would say that the Kinnect is a lot more fun and a lot more beneficial to your health! Also the variety of games that they have, there are bound to be games that you are interested in!

It's a good work out too! Kinect has helped me stay in shape during those times I am not at the gym. It's kind of like a side gym trip actually.

No; it doesn't appeal to me personally, but I could see why others would enjoy it. Furthermore, it could give some people incentive to work out, which is always a plus.

The new demo of Kinect 2 at E3 has made me definitely want one, it takes on a lot more system-wide duties and the potential of the new features makes it seem much less like a gimmick and much more like a useful controller.

It's not really worth it for gaming, but it's fun for the exercise games and for when you have non-gamer people over and you want to "wow" them :)

I didn't think so at first... but then I saw how they are integrating it into the rest of the features of the console. I think after we use it for a couple weeks we would miss it if taken away. Instant recognition logging in, detecting which side of the screen you are on, amazing noise cancellation for voice commands, muscle tracking, mood tracking (based on smiles, frowns etc...), heart rate tracking... All awesome stuff. The thing also has less lag than the last version, so I have high expectations actually.

Yup, The Kinect sure is a waste of money!
Honestly, unless you have young children who will have lots of fun prancing about in front of the tele then, I wouldn't even suggest picking one up second hand.
Any time I've played on one, it has been so short lived and everyone just loses interest and trails off to something else.

for sure it was a waste of money. who actually played the kinect that is over 13?

maybe the 360 connect is/would be.. the new 2.0 is far from wii tech.... the inital kinect may be similar but the firmware and capabilities are better than the wii...

I think it's pretty overrated for most people....a lot of hype and not a lot to back it up. It was suggested to help with my husband's physical therapy, though and does seem helpful for that kind of thing. But gaming aside from exercising benefits? Not terribly impressed.

I see no benefit to the kinect or any motion controlled games. Microsoft and Sony panicked when they saw the success of the Wii and thought they just had to make motion controlled games. Also, games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero had been released, so they felt they needed to capitalize on this market. That fad has died out now and the uselessness of the Kinect has shown. For the most part, gamers don't want to jump around like idiots in their living rooms to play a game. On top of that, some of us live in apartments, which disturbs neighbors and don't have the space to do it anyway.

In my opinion, Kinect is a gigantic waste of money! When I first purchased my Xbox 360 Elite, it came with a free Kinect sensor. Once I set everything up I tried to use the Kinect, and it just would not work at all, and it was brand new! To this day, I still cannot get the sensor to pick up my body, so I just stick with the controller for gaming. You shouldn't waste your money on a Kinect sensor, it just isn't worth it.

Technical glitches aside, it depends on what you're playing. I tried the dance game for it, and it seemed to work alright. I suppose it has a lot more to do with the quality of the games as long as the sensor is working, but from what I hear it isn't all that dependable to begin with.

Back