Xbox 360 Is Minecraft the Best Game in it's Genre?

chris34

I've never played Minecraft but I've seen it, along with other mining/building games. Is Minecraft the best game to have in its genre? If so, what makes it better than other games?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it stucks on Xbox. But it's great on the computer. Best part about playing it on the computer is you can mod it. Tekkit is the best!

i don't understand why people play it over new games... graphics are horrible, you basically just dig and build... roller coaster tycoon was way better :p

i don't understand why people play it over new games... graphics are horrible, you basically just dig and build... roller coaster tycoon was way better :p

You can use texture packs which go up to 256x256 resolutions :p. Also, there's loads of things to do. Especially with mods! I play on a mod called Tekkit that adds nukes, solar panels, electricity, generators, energy condenser (turn 10 dirt into cobble, etc.), dark matter/red matter tools/armor, and my favorite is the filler. I can power the filler and have it fill in a huge area or selection with whatever block I choose. Or I can make it build a pyramid, a hollow square/rectangle etc.

You can use texture packs which go up to 256x256 resolutions :p. Also, there's loads of things to do. Especially with mods! I play on a mod called Tekkit that adds nukes, solar panels, electricity, generators, energy condenser (turn 10 dirt into cobble, etc.), dark matter/red matter tools/armor, and my favorite is the filler. I can power the filler and have it fill in a huge area or selection with whatever block I choose. Or I can make it build a pyramid, a hollow square/rectangle etc.

How does it work when you play the game with a mod? Are you playing on Xbox or PC? Can you play the Xbox version with the Tekkit mod pack? Do those mod packs cost extra or are they free?

I've never played Minecraft but I've seen it, along with other mining/building games. Is Minecraft the best game to have in its genre? If so, what makes it better than other games?

I'm not sure if Minecraft is the best in its genre or not, because I haven't played any of the other mining games. I think Minecraft is definitely the most popular mining game out there. I would think it's for a reason.

I've played another similar mining game, so I can't honestly say that Minecraft is "the best" out there. Even though they're fun, they're all about the same if you ask me.

Honestly, I hate Minecraft. I'm not so keen about the gameplay plus the graphics are lego-like which goes against my taste. I don't know why a lot of people are raving about minecraft... There are a lot of sandbox games out there that are leaps and bounds better than Minecraft IMO.

If you don't like Lego you won't like Minecraft.

I try to not let games eat all my spare time, so a game like Minecraft where I can just hop in and fiddle about on one of my creations is so cool, like digital lego that is easy to pickup where you left off.

My underground Dwarf city is pretty impressive, I've had friends get lost in it while taking the tour.. I was thinking of trying to get a 3d print-out of it, but I'd have to be really careful to get the right cross-section because most of the cool architecture is all underground.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that Minecraft is the best mining game out there, although I think it was the first. Like someone else already pointed out, they are all about the same. If you like this kind of game, you'll like Minecraft as much as any other game in the genre.

There's another game called Terraria that I haven't played but apparently it's very good.
I believe that Minecraft is the best in its genre though -- the amount you can achieve in just a few clicks and pixelated graphics is pretty cool.
And how it's made in Java? That's awesome. Must have been hard.

There are ways to make it look better, but in general the people who play it don't care about the visuals. The appeal of the game is the satisfaction of building cool stuff that you have to find the materials for on your own. It's like virtual legos with a survival element added on and options to implement computer engineering with your creations (redstone wiring).

That, and people code their own mods and gamemodes all the time, so there are different servers for CTF, Hunger Games, Paintball etc.

Being someone who spent hours with his legos as a kid, it wasn't difficult for me to get into Minecraft. I could care less about the visuals of a game if the gameplay is fun.

There's another game called Terraria that I haven't played but apparently it's very good.

Terraria is fun, but it's more of an RPG than Minecraft and doesn't focus on building as much. There's a better game similar to it called Starbound coming out soon that will have far more content and building options.

And how it's made in Java? That's awesome. Must have been hard.

No kidding. Java is terrible for games usually, so the fact that they've managed to do this with it is quite a feat. It still would be better as a C++ game though, since Java is a pain to troubleshoot.

I feel it's great for casual gamers. Though this is a great game the Xbox version falls short compared to PC version. Hope that this changes at some point .

Back