Is paying for Xbox Live worth it?

iGreek

What it your opinion on this? I remember being younger and always having the argument with friends saying that it is stupid and Playstation is free, blah, blah, blah. The point is, do you have guys have any problem with having to pay for live?

For me, I never have and never will. It have always seemed that the experience has been more immersible and simple.

I'm pro Xbox Live and paying. It gives people more incentive to decide on if investing money would be better for a quality experience.

I wouldn't give up my Xbox Live for anything. I have no problem paying for it and really do feel that it's worth it and way better than Playstation's free version.

Xbox Live is not just for online gaming, it also has Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, YouTube, etc. so I have friends that have given up their huge cable bills and just have Xbox Live and the various streaming sites. Yes, I think Xbox Live is worth the money, especially for people that use it for entertainment. Cable is too darn expensive these days and many people are getting their TV shows from the internet to save money.

It depends on what you want to do. If the cost is worth watching movies online and streaming content, then yes it is worth it. We don't pay for cable TV. Instead, we use Xbox Live for everything, so a one time $50 payment replaces a $80 monthly cable bill.

It really depends on how you play. If you don't have many friends with live, don't care much for multiplayer and don't care about downloadable content then a live account isn't really worth it.

I have a ton of friends with an xbox and love multplayer games so live is a must for me. In the end 50 bucks a year is a small price to pay really. I like playstation too but I believe they have to keep their service free because they know that their crowd mainly consist of rpg solo players. Plus their controllers aren't as shooter friendly, which to me are the major xbox live users. (I grew up on the ps2 and I could not get into the shooting games on it. Didn't really play any fps's until I got the 360)

It really depends on how you play. If you don't have many friends with live, don't care much for multiplayer and don't care about downloadable content then a live account isn't really worth it.

I have a ton of friends with an xbox and love multplayer games so live is a must for me. In the end 50 bucks a year is a small price to pay really. I like playstation too but I believe they have to keep their service free because they know that their crowd mainly consist of rpg solo players. Plus their controllers aren't as shooter friendly, which to me are the major xbox live users. (I grew up on the ps2 and I could not get into the shooting games on it. Didn't really play any fps's until I got the 360)

This, getting the Live subscription depends on what you want to do with your Xbox. If you tend to play single player games like Skyrim or only enjoy the campaign section of a game and not the multiplayer then whats the point of getting it.

It is worth it if you are playing multiplayer games often and using the apps. I don't have Netflix so I feel like I am missing out on that aspect, but Crackle has some pretty funny movies and TV shows. I never got into Seinfeld, but am a huge fan now that I watched everything that was on Crackle. I just buy prepaid Live cards to cut down on the costs. It's cheaper to buy a year in advance vs. month to month too.

Yes, as a five year veteran, I really enjoy Xbox Multiplayer. Most of my friends are from Xbox Live and it's what I started on. It's only $60 dollars a year, which really isn't that much if you put it into comparison to other things. I usually pay for it with Christmas money because my subscription ends every year in January. So I believe if you just buy a year for $60, you won't regret it. The online experience is defiantly a lot better then PlayStation and it's worth it.

Of course it's worth! I can't imagine having Xbox without buying Xbox live :p And it's not so expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox Live is absolutly worth the money. You get a better experience wheather your gaming or just watching your media it's only what $4 a month when you think about it.

Yes, it's definitely worth it for someone who enjoys spending their time around the Xbox. For those who only play about once a week, probably not. It really depends on how often the gamer actually plays. I'd say a person, who plays for a few hours every few days, would find that Xbox Live would be a worthwhile purchase. Voice communications and a plethora of games make the experience worth the price tag.

Of course it's worth! I can't imagine having Xbox without buying Xbox live :p And it's not so expensive.

I am paying for my Xbox live Gold, I subscribe for one year. If you already experience Xbox live, then you knew it was totally worth it. Having a console with live subscription is like having a laptop without an internet connection.

If you want to do things like browse the web on your Xbox, as well as watch Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, or other services, you must have Xbox Live. I think Xbox Live Gold is worth it for gaming alone. I don't use any of the services mentioned above except the occasional Internet Explorer because I have Apple TV (another extremely good investment). The online gaming on Xbox far surpasses that of PlayStation or Wii.

Even though I'm still an XBox fan all of those things are free on PS3. While the online may be better is it really worth it?

You can buy a brand new game with that money. It also sounds bad having to rely on your Xbox for cable, what if it breaks or is being fixed?

Even though I'm still an XBox fan all of those things are free on PS3. While the online may be better is it really worth it?

You can buy a brand new game with that money. It also sounds bad having to rely on your Xbox for cable, what if it breaks or is being fixed?

You pay your cable company to watch all the television shows and movies. Cable has outages. I have Comcast and they do not have a up time as good as Xbox LIVE. While I can see your point in a way, this is a business model that has worked for years and will not be going anywhere. People like playing on the Xbox 360 and if they didn't like something about it, then you would see them on the PlayStation 3 like all those people who complain about Xbox costing money to play online.

I pay $30 a year for XBL Gold, not $60. There's always deals on 12 month gold subscriptions, do some searching around if you'd like a discount. Let your gold expire and wait a few days, they'll try to bribe you back with a discount price as well on the dashboard.

So is Xbox Gold worth it? Yes! I am by far happier with Xbox LIVE than I am with PSN. I have had a PS3 and hated it. So what you pay for is what you get from my experience.

I don't think it's worth paying for, so I don't. I've subscribed before but I'm not serious enough about online gaming, I'd only play online casually so it isn't worth paying for a whole month. On the PS3, I'll sometimes play a game online if a friend wants me to play with them or just to try the game out a few times.

I have both 360 and PS3 but I still pay for Gold. In my opinion, it's worth it. Yes, playing online for ps3 is free but how about the quality? When were playing NBA online in my XBOX, I never experienced any lags or what my friends called "player teleporting." Some of my friends that owns a PS3 are even complaining. I respect your opinion but for an everyday gamer like me, a mere $60 for a whole year is a great price for a quality service.

It's definitely worth it. Xbox Live is a lot better compared to Playstation Network in many ways. For instance, DLCs and new maps for games usually arrive on Xbox Live first. It also includes multimedia and entertainment, so for those who don't have cable, it's a great thing to have.

Back