Xbox One Kinect 2 With Augmented Reality Glasses

WolfgangHammersmith

From
Wet Coast
This needs to be taken as a 'leak' and a very 'limited' demo:
[video=youtube;FxwknXZ_fR0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxwknXZ_fR0[/video]

From what I can gather, this fellow is a legit game dev working with the Kinect 2 and it's new wireless Augmented Reality glasses.

The glasses have head tracking and some sort of display capability.

If you look carefully at the video and his website drawings, the 'treadmill' is just a dish shaped low-friction surface that he can step around in with the help of that brace to keep him centered. In the video you can see him pushing on it quite hard..

Still a neat peak at some of the new XBox hardware!

This sounds awesome. The control methods for gaming has been fairly evolutionary over the last 10 years. Now, it's beginning to look like we'll get something evolutionary. About time :)

Wow, I can't wait to get this whenever it comes out. This would be the next evolution of course in the gaming industry. We can already watch tv's at home with 3D glasses, why not get some interactive glasses while your playing on the 720.

That's reallly cool! But I imagine myself knocking down everything in my house while playing like this... And having that big platform like that in the middle of the room is not a great choice.

Isn't this a bit like the Oculus Rift? Anyway, this looks pretty cool. I need to get myself a XBOX 360 to try this out, or I will hope they will create something like this for the PC.

I would like to see someone play 90 min of Fifa on that... Yeah right, lol :rolleyes:

Wow that looks awesome :eek: I seriously want to play an RPG with that setup. I can only imagine my mom walking in on me while I'm swinging a sword or drawing a bow going: DIE FOUL DEMONS! :p

A tech demo for sure, I don't even know how much of that is really Kinect 2. The problem with this is it will only appeal to a niche market. 3D never took off the way they wanted it too and half the reason it the cost.

I don't like this idea at all, think of it practically guys. First of all, what i see here is not a Microsoft Dev but instead a normal xbox360 gamer, who might be an engineer and wanted to try to make his own controlling device. Microsoft would never actually create or even test such a device. Its completely impractical, no one would want to place that in their living room and play anything. Just like the original kinect, you will get bored and tired within a week and never touch it again. Let's take a look at the obesity rate here in North America; yup no ones going to be playing on that for sure! Everyone is saying that they would love to have that, but i'm sure you wouldn't want to be playing a 5 hour FPS gaming session with one of those (sure you may have gotten a great workout by the end of it, but you would never be encouraged to start gaming in the first place). My last point is how would you do local multi-player with such a setup, you would literally need a giant room in which you would have these things setup. Basically; anything like this is completely impractical.
In my honest opinion gaming is best left on the controller, and exercise is best left in the gym! PS4 has definitely gotten my respect for staying with the traditional controller!

Back