Xbox One Kinect is now optional

OniBlackMage

RPG Ambassador
For a long time, a sour point among gamers was not only the privacy issues, but also the mandatory nature of the accessory Kinect. It looks like in a recent interview with IGN, Microsoft has revealed that the XBOX One no longer needs the Kinect on, much less plugged in, in order to function and play?

What do you think of these new developments? Is this gamechanging news for fence sitters? I think it opens up the possibility for the $100 accessory to NOT be bundled in, and thus allow a Xbox One bundle that can be sold for a price competitive or matching the PS4.

Source: Eurogamer

I'm still getting one. If I was really worried about the kinect and it being used as a 'evil tool', I'd have just put it in a box with duct tape and foam rubber....cant's see, can't hear...lol

just beat me to the post man. lol.

it may lead into that arcade system that was a rumor later down the line.

Excellent! I didn't ever want Kinect, specially didn't want to be forced to use it if I got an X1. Great news, in my opinion, and screw crappy motion-based games because, admit it, other than those dancing games or whatever (which I personally dislike), there's nothing really good for Kinect.

This is truly groundbreaking news for the Xbox One. These types of reversals show the consumers that the Microsoft is willing and able to conform to the consumer. Microsoft looks at preorders and measures up the pros and cons of their system. Clearly all of the bogus restrictions are boosting the PS4. You raised a great point. With the Kinect not being required this will be a fantastic time for Xbox One to release a bundle without it for $400. Let's hope this happens.

haha well now xbox 720 is truly a thing...Seriously what is the difference between this and the 360 now besides more power? Listening to your consumers is one thing but completely changing a "Next Gen" console due to some bad press? Congrats Microsoft, you're now the official ***** of the gaming industry.

haha well now xbox 720 is truly a thing...Seriously what is the difference between this and the 360 now besides more power? Listening to your consumers is one thing but completely changing a "Next Gen" console due to some bad press? Congrats Microsoft, you're now the official ***** of the gaming industry.

actually thy is exactly what ps4 has been the whole time:) nothing more than a more powerful system than ps3.

how can you blame microsoft for changing thing when its the "gamer" who has cried the whole time about we dont want this or that and stripped it down to what we are left with.

if gamers were smart they would have let microsoft do everything they wanted and set the market with their wallet but instead they opened their mouth and keep crying like a infant till someone gives in just to shut them the hell up.

I don't want just a more powerful 360, I want a next gen console. It's a shame people can't see what MS is trying to do with the X1. This puts me back on the fence, almost ready to push the cancel button.

The mandatory Kinect really gave me reservations, but Microsoft's constant waffling on what they're doing with the X1 is even more concerning. I feel like Microsoft is just playing catch-up with Sony and there's nothing innovative going on here. Now they have a blu-ray after tossing their lot in with Toshiba during the HD wars, they cut their price down after getting slapped back by Sony's great price. Any time Sony announces something for the PS4, it seems a month later or so you'll see Microsoft ape whatever Sony announced.

Excellent news. I was going to make a thread about it, but you beat me to it lol.

Anyway, I am really happy about some of the steps they have taken to reverse the absolutely bizarre and intrusive policies they had in the beginning. Now Xbox One sounds more like a proper console and back in race to compete with PS4. I wish they catch up in terms of pr-orders before it's too late. Next step should be to try to bring down the price to PS4's level, because there is no reason to choose Xbox One over PS4 right now. Former is $100 more priced, and $100 is a lot!

Wait, but doesn't the console come with it? Does it mean that it comes with something i will never use or use once and put it in the box, but still i pay it as a part of the package. Or is there going to be a bundle without the Kinect so you don't have to pay the ridiculous price that thing will be. That amount of technology can't be cheap!

Wait, but doesn't the console come with it? Does it mean that it comes with something i will never use or use once and put it in the box, but still i pay it as a part of the package. Or is there going to be a bundle without the Kinect so you don't have to pay the ridiculous price that thing will be. That amount of technology can't be cheap!

I don't think that's been decided yet. As someone said on the first page, this leaves open the opportunity for the bundle to be $100 cheaper without the Kinect and then matching PS4 price.
Personally, I'd probably get the bundle with the Kinect in it just because not everyone will. There's always opportunity for sell-back or a chance a game will be really awesome with it.
Since the XboxOne was so set on the Kinect, surely there are games that will need it or will be much better with it.

That's the thing though the PS4 is nothing more than a more powerful PS3 and now the Xbox One is the same. If they're smart they will ease into the future by implementing next gen ideas like increased digital distribution, an always on premium feature or advanced Kinect/Move capabilities and show the world why it's the future of the industry.
I think it's wise to conform to the consumer, just make sure you ease them into the future. Microsoft did nothing to ease gamers and now they look like idiots.

Wow, seems like Microsoft has done another 180 this time and it seems to be a pretty major one. Out of all the things I expected to not see changed, Kinect being optional was certainly at the top of the list. This is definitely a good thing though, as I know many people were not too happy about Kinect being mandatory, so it's great Microsoft decided to appease the gamers.

ok maybe I came off the wrong way,don't get me wrong as I'm just as mad at sony and nintendo as I am with microsoft. However as you guys have stated ps4 was just a more powerful ps3 to begin with as is the wii with the wii u. Both not having really any new boundary pushing features...then we had microsoft who decided to change everything. and actually presented us with a NEW idea. This is the only generation where all "next gen" systems are just rehashed versions of the current gen only with better specs. I'm more mad at microsoft cause they had something new that could improve on this generation and if not this one then the next after. (also ps3 into ps4 and wii into wii u makes sense...I mean in both cases even their names tell you what to expect. 360 into xbox one doesn't work as it's literally just a rehashed 360 aka 720)

That all being said I'm not gonna lie when I was watching the reveal and then later e3 live while on skype with my friends I was pissed at the new features but as I did more research and didn't listen to MS' horrible marketing I learnt what was they were actually trying to do and they changed my mind on it.

Also as @sc_shark said It's mostly Our fault. As the gamers we should've been all for ms trying new ideas instead of being unaccepting of anything new. He makes a great point about this being mostly to just shut us up and it's as much our fault as it is microsoft's.

This is truly groundbreaking news for the Xbox One. These types of reversals show the consumers that the Microsoft is willing and able to conform to the consumer. Microsoft looks at preorders and measures up the pros and cons of their system. Clearly all of the bogus restrictions are boosting the PS4. You raised a great point. With the Kinect not being required this will be a fantastic time for Xbox One to release a bundle without it for $400. Let's hope this happens.

This is pretty much bang on right. Up to this moment , Microsoft was a bit of a bully by forcing everyone to pay extra to get the Kinect, but now that it might be optional it would attract a lot of people. This will also bring the price down and expand the potential customer base even further, I bet that there will be a lot of people that will eventually want the Kinect but not at launch, this gives them the opportunity to get the console in a convenient way. Definitely a great move on Microsofts behalf here.

This is really great news. I thought I'd love the kinect, but I just didnt.it was to buggy and there is a serious lack of good games for it, causing it to not be worth it for myself in particular. It's pretty much a glorified microphone in this house at the moment. We use it when the headset is acting up.

Now all they need to go and do is remove the kinect totally from the package you buy with the xbox one seriously they don't realize that its not needed and no one really wants it well a few people do but not many.

I have noticed that some folks keep saying that gamers are being idiots because MS is bringing the future. Could one of them explain it to me? Because I'm not seeing the future or rather I'm seeing Bladerunner versus StarTrek. MS was all about the check and a future monopoly rather than trying to create anything like a better experience. Still please explain why gamers being responsible consumers makes them babies. I'd really like to know.

Back