Xbox 360 Local Tournaments?

Zelda

I know that there are online communities that have video game tournaments. But what about playing in person at local tournaments? I've heard of people putting together something like this for a benefit. Actually, that might be a good way to get people interested. You could team up with a local organization that needed to raise money on a regular basis. Has anybody ever thought of organizing something like this? What games would be best suited for a tournament?

I have heard about people doing these before, it seems like most the time the game is MW3 or Battlefield 3 or the latest first person shooters.

I've never heard of anywhere local doing this, but I think it's a great idea, Zelda, especially for non-profit benefits and such. I think technoupdate is right about doing something like this with 1st person shooters, because they are so popular right now, and it would be so easy to organize a couple teams to pit against each other for fun and fundraising.

That's a good point about popularity. Depending on the population in your area, some games might not have enough people playing them. The fundraiser aspect just seemed like a good way to get the ball rolling, though. My thinking was that you wouldn't necessarily need as many ardent game players. If they were interested enough in the charity that was hosting the tournament, even the most casual players might sign on.

The closest thing we have is when a few people get together at a cafe downtown (or any other place that would allow a bunch of people on laptops). Lan party anyone? I have been to three in the past year, two were total flops.

I've never heard about local tournaments either. I guess I'm more of a family gamer or gaming at friends house. I can see how game tournaments would be popular though. I know a lot of people who love to game - hard core gamers.

I just think it would be a nice way to make gaming part of a local community. People do this kind of thing online, but it isn't the same as when you're playing together in person. It would also give you the chance to make new friends who have the same interest as yours.

I have heard about tournaments, but never one that was raising money for charity. I think this would be a great way to raise money and fun too. I wonder how you would go about setting something like this up?

Our local Walmart sometimes will hold gaming tournaments, but I doubt it is for charity. I think it is just to get people pumped to buy whatever new game they have. I do not play in tournaments, but if there was one for a charity, I would. It never hurts to help out for a good cause.

Back