Xbox 360 Making Your Own Video Games?

gamejunkie

Do any of you guys have any experience with creating your own video games on like say XNA studio or Unity 3d?

I have been studying c# for the last few days and I am thinking that I will try my hand at creating my own video game.

No, not with any games at least. I have tries to create mods for Skyrim, but every time I try to create a mod, things go awry. It's not as easy as it seems. So yeah, I have came to admit the fact that I can never create a shack, let's forget about being a game developer.

Having many friends in many walks of life I can tell you that anyone can make a game and there can be a success and community behind that. With that said, it takes a community to build a triple A title. You can gain a lot of experience, learn code, learn design, understand elements and mechanics but there's also a ton of other areas that having a team of groomed developers, designers, coders and project managers will put into focus.

I encourage anyone to make a game with the tools that are out there. That's how we have such a strong indie community now a days. However, I would also tell them to be ready for people to express how they feel and know the difference between criticism and constructive crit because any game is going to bring that onto its creator.

It sounds like quite an undertaking and yet it also would be a wonderful group/community project. I'm surprised that its not done more given the number of gamers of all ages that are playing just right now. Thanks for your post, I hope that some of the lifers that game will give it a shot!

I've been around the 2D RPG community for more than a decade, so in my duration i've dabbled with a bunch of open and closed VB and such projects. Still a long time member at a quietly striving community if anyone is interested!

I have some experience with Unity 3D. It was a labyrinth game made using unity's default assets. It was a fun project.

All the experience I have is in Action Script 3 (Flash). I made a few point and click games then called it quits after Mochi Media closed it's gates :rolleyes:

These days I see that Unity is the next hot thing with many indie projects on Kickstarter using it as a base for programming and graphic elements. XNA I never tried but last I knew getting accepted in the XBox market was tough as hell?

I have been thinking about getting myself a copy of unity 3d. I have been looking at some of the games that have been developed using the program and I must say that some of them look really good and that it looks like it might be something fun to do. I am wondering if one person can make a really great game or that you really need to get a team.

I will get a copy of unity 3d because I must say that it is really more affordable now then it has ever been before.

I do, but I have mostly this to say. TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't rush yourself, making a game takes alot of time and effort and as long as you don't rush yourself you should be ok :)

I do, but I have mostly this to say. TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't rush yourself, making a game takes a lot of time and effort and as long as you don't rush yourself you should be ok :)

This was something that I had not expected when thinking about creating my own video games. I will tell you that I thought that you could make video games really quickly but the more that I studied it the more that I saw why these big time corporations take so long to make video games its because to make a good video game you need to invest lots of time and money into it. So as you said its really about taking you time and making a good game.

This was something that I had not expected when thinking about creating my own video games. I will tell you that I thought that you could make video games really quickly but the more that I studied it the more that I saw why these big time corporations take so long to make video games its because to make a good video game you need to invest lots of time and money into it. So as you said its really about taking you time and making a good game.

I took a Game Design Course during high school and that was one of the biggest things I learned was that. I never had enough time, but when you set your own pace it's a very different story.

It definitely takes a lot of time to make something good. Why do you think people always claim that bad games were rushed? You need to spend a lot of time, not only creating and programming the game, but also testing it out, debugging, making changes, balancing, etc, etc...

It's quite a lot of work unless you plan to make something extremely simple like Flappy Bird.

I have done some classes relating to it and I truly have much more respect for people that make games, even if they're generic, as long as they are quality games even on a basic level it takes effort to do that.
Anyone can make a bad game but it does take a lot of time and work to make something that is somewhat competent; so if you're going for something that people would enjoy and call very good it can take a long time.

I tried coding once, but the effort involved over the end product wasn't worth it imo. Won't be trying it again anytime soon.

Yes I do have an experience when it comes to creating video games and I have to say man it's not easy as it sounds. Even making a simple platformer game can take hundreds upon hundreds of hours to make. If you're planning to make a game alone then I have to wish you a lot of luck cause you'll need it. Making a game isn't just about coding and making things work, the visuals and overall direction of the game plays a major role. If you're planning to make just a simple space shooter then i guess you can get away with it easy, but if you want to make something like Call of Duty or maybe a game like Amnesia you have to have a whole team behind you, coders, artists writers you name it. Not to mention finances.

It definitely takes a lot of time to make something good. Why do you think people always claim that bad games were rushed? You need to spend a lot of time, not only creating and programming the game, but also testing it out, debugging, making changes, balancing, etc, etc...

It's quite a lot of work unless you plan to make something extremely simple like Flappy Bird.

And even then the game is a piece of crap because it literally has unfair collision boxs.
Thanks dong, what a great game.

A couple of months ago my cousin and I downloaded Cryteks Cry Engine 3 game development kit, and I must say it's a fairly simple to use. Just in case you guys didn't know, Crisis 3 runs off the exact same engine, so you can make high quality video games with it. If anyone is interested in creating a game but you don't have much technical skill, I highly recommend that you try out the Cry Engine 3 SDK, available on Cryteks website.

When I really sat down and looked at the amount of effort that goes into creating a game I will tell you that I have really developed a different type of respect for the people that create games because I will tell you that it is a lot of work. I mean just the coding and sitting down and trying to figure out how you will fix certain bugs that are in the game the process alone is very tedious and time consuming. I am still trying my hand at game development but I will tell you that I will definitely be building a team because this is not a one man task.

Back