Xbox 360 Mass Effect 3. Weapons Guide: Heavy Pistols

Sawerin

Contributor
Mass Effect 3. Weapons Guide: Heavy Pistols

Mass Effect 3 weapon system is an expended variant of the weapon system coming from Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Of course, it has a great number of unique guns but lots of them can also be found in the previous titles. Major changes have been made in the Heavy Weapons category: now you are not allowed to equip your character with them and they can only be found as pickups during missions. Luckily, in Mass Effect 3 any class can carry whichever and however many weapon types they want. The only limitation is the weight limit. For example, the Soldier can carry all five weapon types at once without exceeding carry weight, but only if properly upgraded to do so. On the top of that you can upgrade your weapon up to Level 5 making it more accurate, more powerful and less “capricious.”
Weapons in Mass Effect 3 are divided in the following categories:
1. Heavy Pistols;
2. Submachine Guns;
3. Shotguns;
4. Assault Rifles;
5. Sniper Rifles;
6. Heavy Weapons;
7. Explosives.
All guns from the following categories (except Heavy Weapon Category) can be upgraded with different modes.

Heavy Pistols

Heavy Pistols are very often underestimated because of the word “pistol.” Well, this is a fatal mistake because they also happen to have a word “heavy” at the front that should break the illusion. With a proper tactical attitude and at the mid-to-long range distances they can be vital to enemies.
Effective: against armor;
Ineffective: against shields and barriers;
They are believed to be great saviors, especially in those situations when your primary weapon is overheated or, as it always happens – appears to be out of ammo. A quick switch to your heavy pistol can save the battle and your life. In the list below you will find a detailed description of every pistol, its pros and cons and usability in combats.

Acolyte
ME3_Acolyte_Pistol.png

Acolyte is the rarest heavy pistol in the game and is randomly awarded through purchases of item packs. In order to receive an opportunity to get it, you will have to purchase the “Mass Effect 3: Earth DLC pack.” Thanks to Acolyte's barrels, this heavy pistol can fire advanced ammunition that is very similar to an impact-triggered resonant warp bomb. It might not be very accurate but it’s light and brings lots of damage. One of its biggest minuses is that it has a very low clip size and ammo reserve. When used, Acolyte launches a projectile similar to a grenade. It can be bounced off the walls, which means that you can aim for a perfect launch and with the help of geometry tricks kill someone from behind the cover. The Acolyte does 500% damage against shields and barriers. This heavy pistol is amazingly effective against Geth units and on Gold difficulty as single shot from the Acolyte will completely strip a Phantom's barrier. In addition, with the help of Phasic Rounds you can take down the shield or barrier of any enemy in one or two shots. Thanks to its very low weight, Acolyte might be a good choice regardless the class and biotic and melee classes can really take advantage of it. Thanks to Acolyte’s nature, it can be very effective against small group of enemies as far as its shots have a very wide explosion radius. If you want to increase the effectiveness of your gun, you should play as Volus Adept, Volus Engineer or as turian Soldier.
Clips size: 3.
Reserve: 12.

Arc Pistol
ME3_Arc_Heavy_Pistol.png

Arc Pistol is, probably, one of the simplest guns in the game. At the same time – it turns him in a perfect combat helper. The only thing you’ll need to keep it running are thermal clips. When being used Arc Pistol projects a nonvisible laser to ionize the air and create a path for a high-ampere electric shock. You can also charge it up to create a more damaging blast. Arc Pistol is Admiral Daro'Xen’s innovation. Despite the fact you can increase your ammo reverse, when used Arc Pistol may shoot up to 3 rounds at a time causing the rounds to disappear pretty fast. Also, this gun is very extraordinary: when using it in its rapid-fire state it lacks the power to be competitive on harder difficulties, but when charged on a consistent basis, it is slower than any other pistol. On the top of all the Arc Pistol is pretty heavy for its class.
Clips size: 18.
Reserve: 72.

Executioner Pistol
ME3_Executioner_Pistol.png

Executioner Pistol won’t be available through the regular gameplay but you can get it with the purchase of Groundside Resistance Pack. The gun itself can cause the unspeakable damage to enemies with its latent penetration of 50 centimeters. This is more than enough to pierce Guardians' shields. Also, on lower difficulties you can actually destroy Combat Engineers' Turrets with a single shot. It is important to mention that Executioner Pistol happens to be very accurate and the only bad thing about this devastator is its clip size. But at the same time it’s kind of cool to have a mini rocker launcher in your pocket. Executioner Pistol was invented by Blood Pack weapons experts.
Clips size: 1.
Reserve: 15.

M-3 Predator
ME3_Predator_Heavy_Pistol.png

The M-3 Predator comes to us from the original Mass Effect tittle and from its sequel – Mass Effect 2. I can’t say that it’s bad but it kind of serves as the starting and default weapon for Mass Effect 3 and things that come to us as default aren’t usually the best. M-3 Predator is pretty accurate when you know how to shoot it, can deal extra damage to armor and has a plenty of recoil. However, it is weak against shields and biotic barriers. One of the best things about this gun is its clip size with 15 rounds inside and its decent fire rate. Its accuracy is not that bad either but with damage rate like this you can’t expect to see devastation coming out of its barrel.
Clips size: 15.
Reserve: 90.

M-5 Phalanx
ME3_Phalanx_Heavy_Pistol.png

The M-5 Phalanx is another heavy pistol that comes to us from the original Mass Effect tittle and from its sequel – Mass Effect 2. It is very effective against armor and can cause 1.5x damage to armor as all the other Heavy Pistols. However, it is still pretty ineffective against shields and biotic barriers. The good thing about the M-5 Phalanx is that it is highly accurate and with all the upgrades can be extremely lethal. For example, with all upgrades, a critical hit, and Heightened Adrenaline Rush this weapon can do around 550 damage against armor but even without a critical heat it will cause around 440 damage making the M-5 Phalanx very powerful in the hands of a Soldier. The pistol itself is a product of the Alliance's Offensive Handgun Project. It features an integral laser sight which is highly visible even playing in bright lighting conditions. Because of its moderate damage, M-5 Phalanx has a decent fire rate and can fire almost as fast as M-3 Predator.
Clips size: 12.
Reserve: 72.

M-6 Carnifex
ME3_Carnifex_Heavy_Pistol.png

The M-6 Carnifex is a heavy pistol that comes to us from the original Mass Effect tittle and from its sequel – Mass Effect 2. This pistol is very powerful and even leaves the M-3 Predator behind but it has half of its ammo capacity. It is very accurate and sometimes can be used to snipe out enemies from the long distances. It is very effective against armor and pretty weak against shields and biotic barriers. Thanks to its amazing accuracy and more than deadly damage (as for a pistol), Carnifex can be used to fill the role of a long-range sniping weapon. When upgrading, do not forget to add a pistol scope: it is a perfect addition for this gun. On Normal difficulty, the Carnifex is easily capable of dropping enemies with a few headshots. M-6 Carnifex marketing materials feature a charging krogan with the slogan, "Don't you wish Carnifex was at your side?"
Clips size: 6.
Reserve: 30.

M-77 Paladin
ME3_Paladin_Heavy_Pistol.png

M-77 Paladin is the innovational heavy pistol that can be found only in Mass Effect 3. It was developed by law enforcement looking for a high-powered but easily concealed sidearm for undercover agents. M-77 Paladin is a reliable weapon with the amazing durability. It is very accurate and brings far more damage than the M-6 Carnifex. However, it has a small clip. M-77 Paladin has one of the highest power-to-weight ratios in the game and will be a perfect choice for Adepts and Engineers. Even without the Piercing Mod it is very effective against armor and at the lower difficulties you will be able to take down enemies with one shot only. Unfortunately, M-77 Paladin has one of the slowest rates of fire but at the same time offers great accuracy and great damage capabilities. It gives you an amazing opportunity to take down enemies from the distance. To make it more productive – do not forget about a pistol scope. It is recommended to put Thermal Clip and High Caliber Barrel mods on this gun to make it even more productive.
Clips size: 4.
Reserve: 16.

M-358 Talon
ME3_Talon_Heavy_Pistol.png

M-358 Talon is a close-range pistol that appears only in Mass Effect 3. It carries six separate ammunition blocks that rotate like a twentieth-century revolver. This prevents the pistol from shaver jam or misfire due to premature melting of the shot. When the pistol is loaded with heavy-gauge shotgun pellets, it can deliver massive trauma to unarmored targets. M-358 Talon is extremely powerful and takes out an enemy from the middle range distance and in two or three shots sends basic enemies to the darker place from the long range. M-358 Talon is a perfect backup weapon for a Vanguard because it behaves like a small shotgun: it causes more damage but at the same time has a larger capacity than most shotguns. However, because of the “shotgun-like” behavior this heavy pistol might not be that effective at the long range. Also, it has a very low clip size to start and with 4 bullets in the clip you are not much of a warrior. If you are playing as a Vanguard, you should consider adding this fellow to your battlefield ammunition: it has a larger capacity than most shotguns but at the same time does shotgun-like damage with a better rate of fire.
Reserve: 24.

N7 Eagle
ME3_N7_Eagle_Heavy_Pistol.png

N7 Eagle comes as a part of the N7 Collector's Edition Pack. You can get one if you order the Collector's or Digital Deluxe Edition of Mass Effect 3. It is an exclusive heavy pistol that appears only in Mass Effect 3. N7 Eagle happens to be a well redesigned Phalanx pistol that is a decent pistol itself. Among its pros you will definitely appreciate its compact size, its full auto feature and unprecedented accuracy. While the N7 Eagle was named after a classic and very popular in XX and XXI century handgun Desert Eagle, it has nothing to do with the original title. Just on the contrary: with the maximum upgrade you can use the N7 Eagle as an UZI because its clip size can be expended up to 32 bullets. It is a perfect secondary weapon against multiply enemies and can be used for covering or suppressing fire. But, if you decide to shoot full auto – be prepared to lose a lot in accuracy. At the same time, when shooting with single shots, there is nothing better than this gun at the middle range distance.
Clips size: 18.
Reserve: 180.

Scorpion
ME3_Scorpion_Heavy_Pistol.png

Scorpion is a semi-automatic heavy pistol that fires low-velocity, squash-head projectiles with a dual use. Thanks to the high-explosive filler – the projectile are secured to the target on impact. You can also turn it into a proximity mine by shooting into the surface. Scorpion’s uniqueness is in the fact that it can shoot projectile that can glue to an enemy. In other words – they work a lot like sticky grenades and ones you hit the target – it won’t be able to get rid of the mine stuck on the armor. Also, Scorpion is an accurate gun and it is kind of hard to miss the target with this pistol. So called “sticky grenades” go off in about three seconds which means – you will have enough time to hide or dodge from its impact. Let’s not forget about the fact that you can shoot projectile on the ground and use them as proximity mines. In this case they explode immediately which gives you a perfect trap tool that will definitely be irreplaceable in “hold the position” situations. By all means, the biggest problem of this gun is that it has a very low clip and reserve capacity. Also, it is very heavy and some classes won’t feel comfortable using it. But, if used in a proper manner, Scorpion can turn into a perfect protector, destroy multiply targets and force the enemies to get out from behind the cover.
Reserve: 20.

Heavy Pistols Weapon Modifications

Pistol Melee Stunner I - V
Small attachment to muzzle, causing massive damage to meleed targets.
Pistol Piercing Mod I - V
Capacitor boosts kinetic coil generators, increasing shot penetration.
Pistol Magazine Upgrade I - V
Increases magazine capacity, allowing more shots before reload.
Pistol High Caliber Barrel I - V
Allows wider projectiles, causing more trauma on impact. Ballistically optimized to maintain penetrative power.
Pistol Scope I - V
Simple 2x optical scope enhances stability while zoomed. Increases accuracy while moving and taking damage.
Pistol Cranial Trauma System I - V (Requires Leviathan for single-player and Earth for multiplayer.)
Increase headshot lethality by balancing barrel calibration so that ammunition pierces bone and explodes in soft tissue.
Pistol Ultralight Materials I - V (Requires Leviathan for single-player and Earth for multiplayer.)
Superior lightweight alloys replace weapon parts, making the weapon less obtrusive and easier to handle.
Pistol Heavy Barrel I - V (Requires Retaliation for multiplayer.)
A pistol barrel that produces and withstands extreme kinetic and thermal energy.

Here are some of the most common Heavy Pistols compared to each other showing their basic specifications.
1e806c0c488725962f32f9d97499e9f54918e340.jpg__620x635_q85_upscale.jpg

Last edited:
Back