Xbox 360 Mass Effect 3. Weapons Guide: Submachine Guns (SMG)

Sawerin

Contributor
Mass Effect 3. Weapons Guide: Submachine Guns (SMG)

Mass Effect 3 weapon system is an expended variant of the weapon system coming from Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Of course, it has a great number of unique guns but lots of them can also be found in the previous titles. Major changes have been made in the Heavy Weapons category: now you are not allowed to equip your character with them and they can only be found as pickups during missions. Luckily, in Mass Effect 3 any class can carry whichever and however many weapon types they want. The only limitation is the weight limit. For example, the Soldier can carry all five weapon types at once without exceeding carry weight, but only if properly upgraded to do so. On the top of that you can upgrade your weapon up to Level 5 making it more accurate, more powerful and less “capricious.”
Weapons in Mass Effect 3 are divided in the following categories:
1. Heavy Pistols;
2. Submachine Guns;
3. Shotguns;
4. Assault Rifles;
5. Sniper Rifles;
6. Heavy Weapons;
7. Explosives.
All guns from the following categories (except Heavy Weapon Category) can be upgraded with different modes.

Submachine Guns (SMG)

Submachine Gun (SMG) is a class of rapid firing weapons and is a good choice for dealing with enemies at a close range. They are not accurate and usually deal poor damage but those cons can be compensated with the amazing rate of fire and the big enough clip size. SMGs are very effective at the close range possessing a bonus to damage against shields and biotic barriers. However their armor penetration is rather poor. SMGs are great for power-dependent classes and can deal out high rates of fire at the cost of low accuracy and stopping power.

Blood Pack Punisher
ME3_Blood_Pack_Punisher_Smg.png

Blood Pack Punisher is available only through the Firefight Pack but it definitely happens to be one of the coolest guns in the game. Thanks to the secondary barrel, you receive additional armor penetration power thanks to the armor-piercing round that appears once per main-barrel burst. As for an SMG, Blood Pack Punisher brings decent damage and its fire rate is amazing. You will be surprised to hear that its accuracy is pretty decent too allowing players to shoot enemies from the middle range distance without any serious casualties. But, of course, you should not expect it to be effective at the longer distances. Sure, Blood Pack Punisher has recoil but I can’t say that this is something catastrophic. Also, you can reduce it with the help of SMG Recoil System and forget about the vertical climb. This gun works perfectly when combined with the damage boosts given by both Warp and Proximity Mine on the same target. This is not an assault rifle but it can definitely force enemies to hide between their shields and can be used for suppressing and covering fire. Oh, and if you plan on adding a scope to this guy – don’t, because it makes no actual difference.
Clip Size: 40.
Reserve: 320.

Collector SMG
ME3_Collector_SMG.png

Collector SMG, as a greater part of Collector’s weapons, is an interesting gun and requires some time to get used to. It is a hybrid of mechanical and organic parts and some of those are even more advanced than the Collector assault rifle parts. Due it its origin, Collector SMG refills the clip automatically pretty fast when you stop shooting. But, if you run out of all 30 standard rounds, you will have to wait for a few seconds in order to continue shooting. Collector SMG has a very low clip size that will force you stop shooting in the middle of the battle. That is why you might wanna use an extended magazine upgrade – it will increase the possibility to surviving the battle and killing an enemy or even two with one clip. It is highly recommended to use the High-Velocity Barrel mod with this gun that will add some damage to the gun.
Clip Size: 30.
Reserve: ∞.

Geth Plasma SMG
ME3_Geth_Plasma_SMG.png

Geth Plasma SMG is not only unique in its design but also is very extraordinary with a couple of upgrades and improvements. However, you will be able to put your hands on it only online and only with the Resurgence Pack. First of all, Geth Plasma SMG is one of the most accurate SMGs in the Mass Effect 3. It might deal not that much damage but you can always be sure that it will send all the bullets right in the place you are aiming for. But, there is more! Geth Plasma SMG has a very interesting feature: the longer you keep the fire button pressed, the faster it starts shooting. And, with the maximum ammo expand pack you can actually equip it with the clips that carry 170 rounds each. No, there is no mistake – 170 rounds in a single clip. Considering the fact that your ammo package is 500 rounds, that is a lot. But this is a good thing: now you do not have to waste your time on reloading the gun but even when you do – the gun will still reload fast. For its high rate of fire, Geth Plasma SMG has very low recoil and very high accuracy. Both things turn using this gun in a real pleasure and allow you to become good in pinpointing pretty fast. It also reveals its potential when being used with the Marksman power and the extra headshot damage ability can allow you to take out most enemies even on the hardest difficulties in moments. However, Geth Plasma SMG has very poor armor penetration and its damage will remain poor regardless of your upgrades.
Clip Size: 100.
Reserve: 600.

M-4 Shuriken
ME3_Shuriken_Smg.png

M-4 Shuriken offers an unexpected feature of shooting six-round bursts at once. I am not a big fan of bursts but with a fire rate this SMG offers you can actually take advantage of it. Even despite its nature, M-4 Shuriken still puts all bullets pretty close to each other with a minimum vertical and horizontal climb. On the top of that the SMG is very light and can be used by almost any class. Shuriken is surprisingly accurate when fired from cover and if you are aiming for a headshot there is a great possibility that you are going to get what you came for. However, when not used in cover, its recoil can get pretty high. One of the biggest downfalls of this gun is its low damage level. And while technically all SMGs have this problem, it can be improved by concentrating heavy fire on the enemy. With 6-round burst it might get hard. But, as always, you can use SMG Recoil System to turn M-4 Shuriken into pretty precise weapon.
Clip Size: 36.
Reserve: 324.

M-9 Tempest
ME3_Tempest_Smg.png

M-9 Tempest is a fully automatic submachine gun that can be very effective at the close and middle range distances. It is also often said to be an expensive but deadly addition to anyone's personal arsenal. It can boast with a good clip capacity, a moderately fast rate of fire, pretty satisfactory damage (as for an SMG) and average accuracy. Due to its enormously big clip size (even on the basic set) M-9 Tempest is one of the deadliest SMGs when being fires at the close range and there is nearly nothing that can resist its “anger.” But, one of the biggest drawbacks is its heavy recoil, even when used in cover. Though, you can improve the situation with an SMG Scope and controlled shooting.
Clip Size: 50.
Reserve: 350.

M-12 Locust
ME3_Locust_Smg.png

M-12 Locust is a compact submachine gun with great fire rate and even greater accuracy. Due to its complex recoil-reducing mechanism and high-grade auto-targeting software, this gun can shoot at longer distances and its accuracy is significantly higher. Thanks to the features mentioned above M-12 Locust can be used even at longer distances (preferably, with a scope) and happens to be very capable of dispatching shielded enemies with little difficulty. Unfortunately, it is not known for high damage capabilities, so do not expect to take out an enemy with a shot or two. Also, M-12 Locust is not good for close combat battles. But you can slowly improve the situation by applying an SMG Magazine Upgrade and SMG Heat Sink.
Clip Size: 20.
Reserve: 240.

M-25 Hornet
ME3_Hornet_Smg.png

M-25 Hornet is another SMG that shoots bursts but this time – 3-round only. Unfortunately, this doesn’t save the gun from being inaccurate and bringing low damage to the targets shot at. Though, it has one big and fat plus: its fire rate is almost insane. Taking this into consideration, you can be pretty effective when getting closer to the targets and shooting them with 3-round shots. Another good thing about M-25 Hornet is that it is pretty light. At least, light enough to be used by power dependent classes without major penalties. When on the run and at close range, you are far better off firing the Hornet from the hip than aiming down the sights. This will make the recoil far less noticeable. Together with the Ultralight SMG Materials mod and a High Caliber Barrel M-25 Hornet can be turned into a decent primary weapon.
Clip Size: 24.
Reserve: 144.

N7 Hurricane
ME3_N7_Hurricane_Smg.png

N7 Hurricane is one of those SMGs that is not accurate and does not bring high damage but happens to have a very high fire rate and be very good for suppressive fire. However, you won’t be able to enjoy this gun unless you get the N7 Collector's Edition Pack that comes in Collector's or Digital Deluxe Edition of Mass Effect 3. Its main strength is the fire rate that automatically turns this gun into a close range weapon. Another feature that proves the statement above is N7 Hurricane’s extremely high recoil that makes it almost impossible to use at longer distances. It also might not be the deadliest weapon in the class but with a couple of upgrades the problems can be solved. Also, its effectiveness can be further improved when using SMG High-Velocity Barrel. Probably, the biggest downfall of this gun is its firing technique because each bullet fired counts as 2 points of ammunition. In other words, with a standard clip of 40 bullets you are going to have only 20 shots. Also, if for some reason the number of bullets is not even in your clip, N7 Hurricane won’t fire if there is only one bullet in it.
Clip Size: 40.
Reserve: 240.

SMG Weapon Modifications

SMG Ultralight Materials I - V
Superior lightweight alloys replace weapon parts, making weapon less obtrusive and easier to handle.
SMG Magazine Upgrade I - V
Increases magazine capacity, allowing more shots before reload.
SMG High-Caliber Barrel I - V
Allows wider projectiles, causing more trauma on impact. Ballistically optimized to retain penetrative power.
SMG Heat Sink I - V
Increases heat conductivity of thermal clip receiver. Negates heat generated by some shots.
SMG Scope I - V
Simple 2x optical scope enhances stability while zoomed. Increases accuracy while moving and taking damage.
SMG High-Velocity Barrel I - V (Requires Leviathan for single-player and Earth for multiplayer.)
Superior kinetic coils increase shot penetration.
SMG Recoil System I - V (Requires Leviathan for single-player and Earth for multiplayer.)
Increase weapon mass for a split second per shot by using expert timing-VI to reduce weapon kick and improve aim.

Here are some of the most common SMGs compared to each other showing their basic pros and cons.
93726542367c0cf9689ad679e34430c8e3ddc5a3.jpg__620x418_q85.jpg

Last edited:
Back