Xbox One Max and the Curse of Brotherhood, clever and original

Gringo

From
Virginia
I have had the game for a few days and my 11 year-old, 5 year-old, and I have been having a blast with this game. The 11 year old really gets it and the 5 year-old likes watching and controlling Max's movements once we draw the marker parts.

It is a fun platformer with a twist. A marker that begins with the power to raise pillars of earth from the ground to make platforms and lift Max to higher areas. Then you gain the ability to draw branches which can make platforms or shapes which can be pushed, once cut, to help solve puzzles. Next we got the ability to draw vines which you can swing from and climb. The latest ability was drawing paths with water which carry Max through the air. Not sure if that is the last, but that is as far as we have gotten.

Most levels start Max on one side of the screen and you have to draw some elements of the level before you begin. Then you begin moving and most times you must get to another area, then stop, and draw or redraw things. The areas where drawings can originate are highlighted on the screen, but some are not as readily visible as others. A drawing may be cut and redrawn at any time. Many of the puzzle solutions require drawing a vine, branch, platform from one area, cutting it, then redrawing it a different way. While the areas you draw from are limited the drawings themselves are whatever you can imagine. My son and I, playing together, have already found multiple solutions to some of the more difficult puzzles.

In some areas you are forced to move through an area quickly either by an evil character or environmental elements. At these times Max will go into slow motion and allow you time to draw. Other times you just gotta stop, draw fast, and get to running again.

I haven't finished the game so I can't speak to how long it is. But for $15 I think it may be the best bang-for-the-buck of the 5 games I have so far. There are some items you can look for on levels so trying to get all of those would add some replay value. It is a little difficult for younger kids but my 11 year-old gets it. We have found some of the puzzles quite challenging. The graphics are excellent for a cartoonish game, and the controls and camera are solid.

How do you draw? Do you use the kinnect or controller? If the kinnect, how well does it work? Do you have to use kinnect or can you play the whole game with just controller?

You use the controller, the kinect is not used at all.

It's easy to do and works well in this game.

You use the controller, the kinect is not used at all.

It's easy to do and works well in this game.

Yeah, no controller needed at all. My kid loves the game so much I can barely play my games.

Well, All I can say on behalf of my daughter who plays this game is this game rocks. Hell, we even swicth turns working on the game. Great bonding time with my daughter. Well, my wife is even into it. I can say they made a hell good job in this game.

Back