Xbox One Microsoft Answers FAQs

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
IGN has an ongoing feature at Ask Microsoft Anything About Xbox One - IGN in which Microsoft is answering many FAQs. Below is what they have answered so far. What say you? What questions do you have? Have do you feel about the information below?

NEW ANSWERS ADDED 8/26:

Q: What happens day one when I buy the system? I bring it home, plug it into my TV and outlet then what? I realize there is going to be a setup for my TV, my language, etc. Can I just bring my profile over on a flash drive? Do I have to recover my profile over Xbox Live?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: There is a quick setup to get your system connected and up-to-date. After that, getting your profile is as simple as entering your account’s email address and password.

Will I be able to get pre-order bonuses and special edition versions on digitally downloaded games?

WHITTEN: Yes! You’ll see more details here in the future.

Will Xbox One have any TV DVR functionality? Or is the DVR just for games?

WHITTEN: It’s easy to use your current DVR with Xbox One. Our focus is on making the TV experience great – with favorite channels, voice control (including play, pause, fast forward and rewind with your DVR) and more. This is an area where you’ll see us drive more innovation over the years to come.

Will a top-of-the-TV mounting clip be sold for Kinect?

WHITTEN: We recommend locating Kinect in the middle of your television, either above or below the screen on a secure surface. We anticipate there will be some third party mounting offerings in the future.

Will the Kinect sync to your voice? Let's say your friends want to mess with you by saying" Xbox Off." Will we be able to make it only respond to our voice?

WHITTEN: We are focused on ensuring that we have great voice support which includes understanding which person is speaking in the room. Additionally, for actions that are potentially destructive, we have a confirmation dialog which will be the case for “Xbox Off.”

PREVIOUS ANSWERS:

Can developers still lock Party Chat in multiplayer games?

WHITTEN: Game developers don’t have control over the party chat channel. However, they do know if a player is specifically in a party chat channel versus game chat.

With the upgraded audio codec for chat, is 8 people still the maximum for Party Chat?

WHITTEN: We are looking at higher limits on party size. It will be at least 8 people chatting at a time. We may either increase the number of people that can be chatting at once or potentially allow more people in the party channel if only a smaller number is chatting. Stay tuned!

Do I need to download demos, or can I stream them?

WHITTEN: Just like regular games, Xbox One allows you to start playing while the game continues to download.

Now that XBLA is not its own thing and games are simply games no matter how they're distributed, will digitally downloaded games release on Tuesdays, where XBLA titles hit on Wednesdays?

WHITTEN: Games are games are games! You’ll see digital content flowing into the system constantly. We will continue to run different programs – like Summer of Arcade on Xbox 360 for instance – as well.

Will we be able to have longer gamertag names?

WHITTEN: No, we are staying with our current naming scheme for Xbox LIVE gamertags.

Last week you answered how long the included HDMI cable is, but how long is the Kinect's cable?

WHITTEN: The Kinect cable is 3 meters long.

Can you organize your now-expanded Friends List into categories? i.e. “College buddies,” “Friends from work,” etc.

WHITTEN: You’ll see us add more in this area in the future. At launch, you’ll have your expanded list of friends and the ability to mark favorites so that it is fast and easy to play with the friends you care about most.

Is there cross-console Party Chat? i.e. since it’s all “Xbox Live,” can people on Xbox 360s Party Chat with their friends on Xbox One?

WHITTEN: For a variety of technical reasons – including the sound quality that I talk about below – we don’t support voice chat between the two systems. You will still be able to send and receive text messages to friends on both systems, however.

OK, so we can't chat across systems. But can I at least see what my friends are doing on either console?

WHITTEN: Yes – you see your friends on both systems, including their rich presence. My friends that are still on Xbox 360, for example, might see that I’m on Xbox One, playing Ryse. Since I can have more than 100 friends on Xbox One, if I go back to Xbox 360 and I have more than 100 friends, it will only show me the subset of my friends who are friends with me on Xbox 360.

Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?

WHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways – from the ability to say “Xbox On” and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound – no searching for special buttons! Of course – these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

How “off” can Kinect be when the system is in use?

WHITTEN: You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.

Is there a chat headset included in the Xbox One box or not?

As you saw in Major Nelson’s unboxing video, the console comes with our mono audio headset. This is an area where we’ve worked hard to improve the audio quality – and it is night and day compared to chat on the Xbox 360. The Xbox One audio chat headset now streams 24 kHz at a 16-bit resolution uncompressed both downstream and upstream compared to the Xbox 360 headset that streamed 16 kHz downstream and 8 kHz upstream at a 14-bit resolution compressed. I think people are going to be very happy with the audio in game chat and parties.

PREVIOUS ANSWERS:

Are Xbox 360 Avatars transferring over? If so will any changes be made to them?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: They are – your avatar will be on the system at launch and in fact, you’ll have some new options, including the ability to do full-body HD gamerpics. By the way, we should actually talk more about gamerpics too. We’ve moved from the 64x64 gamerpics on Xbox 360 to a full 1080p. They are beautiful, and you are going to see some really cool hero moments, like when you login to see personalized views of your games and other content.

Can you clarify how will Xbox Live Arcade work on Xbox One? Or if it will exist at all?

WHITTEN: Sure – there is no difference between games in the store – games are games are games! You’ll find them in the same pivots (most popular, new, etc.) and we’ll be highlighting them in our dashboard experience. And of course – like all of your digital games content – you can play them on any Xbox One, and anyone can play them on your Xbox One.

Will the Game DVR capture at the source resolution? i.e. will Forza 5 clips capture at 1080p and 60fps? And where can Game DVR clips be uploaded to?

WHITTEN: Game DVR captures beautiful clips at 720p 30fps. The first thing you’ll see with our game DVR is the integration of our Upload service on the console. This service allows you to manage, edit, and share your content. Your clips are stored in the cloud. Also, you’ll see games making “magic moment” videos of your gameplay based on the game DVR functionality – all seamlessly integrated. You’ll be able to see these clips in the Xbox One Guide, in your own game DVR collection, and when you are looking at gamercards on the system. You’ll also see games take advantage of this platform capability and do interesting things to integrate captured game footage into the game experience itself.

Can you earn two sets of Achievements for the same game (i.e. Playing Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox 360 and on Xbox One)?

WHITTEN: Every game has its own set of achievements, so if you’re playing Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox 360 and on Xbox One, you can earn a separate set of Gamerscore in each game. But on the Xbox One version, you’re getting a much richer set of features, such as seeing your achievements progress on the Xbox One console, being able to unlock new achievements throughout the year, and earning real prizes inside and outside of the game. Xbox One also enables a new concept of challenges, where games will be offering special time-based opportunities to earn various goals and collect the rewards. More info on challenges can be found on Major Nelson's blog.

Hi KN1GHTMARE, please remember that any content from another site must be wrapped around quote tags. I took care of this one for you. :)~Pbescabar7

I would have asked when is xbox one going to release. My window for putting in vacation time is closing. A couple of months ago microsoft said they would announce it later this summer. Summer is almost over microsoft.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this. Things like this make this forum so great.

So special editions on preorder digitally finally comes to Xbox. It's great to see Microsoft finally implement this with Xbox One. Many times the only reason for buying a game physically was because it's special edition was just too enticing.

I hope they implement pre download for digitally preordered game as well. That I think could really boost preorder digital sales.

So special editions on preorder digitally finally comes to Xbox. It's great to see Microsoft finally implement this with Xbox One. Many times the only reason for buying a game physically was because it's special edition was just too enticing.

I hope they implement pre download for digitally preordered game as well. That I think could really boost preorder digital sales.

Agreed. They have no reason to not let you pre-load your game. The PS3 already let you do as much.

Some nice details here, but some dumb answers too. Still, good info here. Thanks for sharing.

my question on gamming would be.

since you will offer pre order games on xbox one what will happen with gamestop or walmart games. will their be a way to lock that game to my system or will i be forced to swap disks to play a different game.

Will I be able to get pre-order bonuses and special edition versions on digitally downloaded games?

WHITTEN: Yes! You’ll see more details here in the future.

if thats the case their should have been more talk about it with cod,titanfall,forza5,battlfeild4.. all of which have special editions and pre order content. these are the marketing things that get to me. some pre orders are limited by quantity. with bf4 i did not get my dog tag for the bonuses but i did get a premium pre order. so i am missing something. so if i drop all of my gamestop pre orders i than have to wait for xbox to release how download digital will work. again these are things that should have already been talked about or pushed/shown.

i have no problem with going digital so i am diskless as long as it is attached to my gamertag. but i want forza5 limited with all the bonuses. along with bf4 and proabl get dlc for ac4.. but i mean be transparent on what we can do to get games or how gamestop and 3rd party games/pre orders will work.

It's really nice of Microsoft to answer so many queries. They still have a lot more to answer though. I still can't comprehend why they had to shove DRM up our throat? If it was really something they couldn't do with, why did they reverse the policies?

I hate it when they force the Kinect with the usual "it makes gaming better". No it doesn't and it will never will if you guys keep announcing it like it's the second coming of christ. There won't be any sort of people that will master the kinect and it's "usefulness" to get a better gaming experience, it just ain't happening.

I hate it when they force the Kinect with the usual "it makes gaming better". No it doesn't and it will never will if you guys keep announcing it like it's the second coming of christ. There won't be any sort of people that will master the kinect and it's "usefulness" to get a better gaming experience, it just ain't happening.

By next year there will be a separate bundle, book it. Microsoft has some new investors that can have someone sit on their board. You can bet if they are not making enough money they will abandon it. It's a nice idea but the devs just will not get around it.

Well, that's just marketing. Marketing always hypes things up to make the more attractive. Kinect might not be the second coming of Christ or anything, but it COULD lead to some nice experiences if used properly (like Child of Eden).

]

I don't understand all the Kinect haters. I think its the coolest thing the xbox one has to offer. Its what separates it from ps4. Its not only for games but the entertainment aspect of the xbox one.

I like the simple things the kinect will bring, like the ability to instantly switch settings and profiles automatically through face recognition, all while having 6 people logged in.

Back