Xbox One Microsoft buys Nokia for $7 billion

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
I was pretty surprised when I read this. I will say that Nokia's presence, at least in the US, has definitely gone down some as giants like Samsung and of course Apple pretty much dominate the cell phone market nowadays. This acquisition didn't make a whole lot of sense to me until I read this:
'This element provides Microsoft with the opportunity to extend its service offerings to a far wider group around the world while allowing Nokia's mobile phones to serve as an on-ramp to Windows Phone,' the companies said in a joint statement.
If that's what they're aiming for, then great-Go for it Microsoft. Good luck with that. I don't see it happening though, as Android and the Apple iOS are HUGE and Microsoft will have a lot of playing catch-up to do, although perhaps it is possible (but I doubt it)...
With the new deal for Nokia, Microsoft will for the first time control both the smartphone hardware and software teams—matching advantages that companies like Apple have leveraged for years, including easier planning of features and complete control of the customer's experience, said Van Baker, an analyst at Gartner Inc. But there will also be a smaller group of Windows Phone devices as well, he added, putting further pressure on Microsoft to succeed.
Curious, does anyone on here have a Windows phone? If so, what do you think of it? I have an iPhone at the moment and would be hard pressed to switch to a Windows phone.

via Wall Street Journal and Daily Mail

What? I though Nokia was a giant company and here it's got bough and acquired by Microsoft.

Nokia was a giant company, They failed to come up to users experiences when we moved into the smart phone generation however.
Good move by Microsoft, But unless they properly popularize Windows phone with the right apps and everything, I don't see either business profiting from it

Nokia has been dwindling in years past, this is a smart acquisition for Microsoft. They will now have the strategic advantage of dual control and Nokia is a larger presence abroad than in the states so it will serve as a show of good faith for those who would frown at the "big American company". I, myself, have never been a fan of the Windows phones, mostly due to a lack of application support.

YES!!! YES!!!!! I have a Lumia 920 and that is the BEST phone I have had in years lol. This is great news and i am excited to see what they will bring to the table

I don't have a Windows phone, but I love Windows 8. I'd be more likely to consider a Windows phone when my Zune HD breaks. The Metro UI came from the Zune and from what I understand, they didn't revamp that, they just added it in. I can see this being a big thing for corporations that want to stay with Microsoft. They could easily sweep up a lot of old BlackBerry business.

I don't have a Windows phone, but I love Windows 8. I'd be more likely to consider a Windows phone when my Zune HD breaks. The Metro UI came from the Zune and from what I understand, they didn't revamp that, they just added it in. I can see this being a big thing for corporations that want to stay with Microsoft. They could easily sweep up a lot of old BlackBerry business.

Im telling you its an amazing phone. No clutter and 7 screens with all these apps crap lol. Its 2 screens and it is simple as all heck. Its also nice to have a awesome phone that works well that 98% of the world has lol. My wife and I got them because of the LIVE intergration. Its smooth and flawless.

It's good to see Microsoft continue the push into the smartphone market but they still need a lot of help. There is not a lot of choice when it comes to Windows phones and owning your own hardware company doesn't always equate to the making the best phone (see Google/Motorola). Either way I hope they make some progress, competition is good.

This should be an interesting combo, I can't wait see what comes of this.

This is the best news in recent times. I was really worried with Android taking over the smartphone industry with cheap build quality and not-so-great user experience while iOS dominated with just a single handset which remains pricey all the time.

Now, Windows 8 phones and tablets under Nokia is going to storm the market. We will have a lot of choice and excellent products besides an operating system that got great potential.

This is the best news in recent times. I was really worried with Android taking over the smartphone industry with cheap build quality and not-so-great user experience while iOS dominated with just a single handset which remains pricey all the time.

Now, Windows 8 phones and tablets under Nokia is going to storm the market. We will have a lot of choice and excellent products besides an operating system that got great potential.

There you go. Well said. Once more people use the WP8 and see how well it runs, its only a matter of time.

Well, I disagree about Android having a not so friendly user experience. I came from a BlackBerry, which in my opinion, was the best, and while it took some adjustment and I had to find some things that I was looking for, Android has been pretty sweet to me.

I was one of those people that refused to have my life or even a significant portion of it residing in my phone because I didn't want to look like that lost schmuck crying on the ground after theirs broke or was stolen, but with what I've been able to do with my phone, so much of life is recorded or "dependent" on it. Granted, I have a lot of it backed up somewhere, but if you know what to look for in the market...

Having said that, the only thing that would stop me from jumping to a Windows phone is the fact that I've invested in Android. But, if they make it an unusually attractive option, as a Windows user for everything else, I'd consider it.

Ah, I've heard it said that the CEO from Microsoft actually went to be the CEO of Nokia for the last couple of years. It's said that he ran the company into the ground. The conspiracy theorists say that it was just so Microsoft could/would do this. I don't know if it was as shady as all that, but... we'll see how this turns out won't we?

Well, I disagree about Android having a not so friendly user experience. I came from a BlackBerry, which in my opinion, was the best, and while it took some adjustment and I had to find some things that I was looking for, Android has been pretty sweet to me.

I was one of those people that refused to have my life or even a significant portion of it residing in my phone because I didn't want to look like that lost schmuck crying on the ground after theirs broke or was stolen, but with what I've been able to do with my phone, so much of life is recorded or "dependent" on it. Granted, I have a lot of it backed up somewhere, but if you know what to look for in the market...

Having said that, the only thing that would stop me from jumping to a Windows phone is the fact that I've invested in Android. But, if they make it an unusually attractive option, as a Windows user for everything else, I'd consider it.

The main reason my wife and I got a WP was because of the whole LIVE integration. It works really well and im sure it will get better with the smart glass once the X1 comes out. Heck, I think the guy was using a Lumia 920 during E3 for DR3 for the missile drop part lol.

Wow. This is my first hearing of this. I wonder how much of an advantage it will be to own both the hardware and software companies, as OP mentioned. Also, I'm curious as to how long it will take for the advantages to see the market. I do need a new smartphone. ;)

I think it will be almost immediate. It's not like they are starting from scratch. They have a user base, they are just trying to expand it. They are keeping all or a majority of the Nokia staff, so it sounds like a brand change and eventually, they will probably get rid of their other phone makers and have it looking like a very viable option to Apple. Now, I guess we'll see Google step up their efforts on the Chrome OS.

I doubt that I'd ever jump to the Chrome OS though. I'd probably go Apple before that.

I think it will be almost immediate. It's not like they are starting from scratch. They have a user base, they are just trying to expand it. They are keeping all or a majority of the Nokia staff, so it sounds like a brand change and eventually, they will probably get rid of their other phone makers and have it looking like a very viable option to Apple. Now, I guess we'll see Google step up their efforts on the Chrome OS.

I doubt that I'd ever jump to the Chrome OS though. I'd probably go Apple before that.

Im right there with you. I have played around with it and they stuff is a mess TO ME that is lol. Yeah its open and what not, but a clutter.

They were really a beast back in the past, they managed to have most of the phone market, but with the age of touchscreens, they started losing power and other companies took over, specially Apple with it's iPhone device.
But damn, $7 billion for a company that is a lot!

They were really a beast back in the past, they managed to have most of the phone market, but with the age of touchscreens, they started losing power and other companies took over, specially Apple with it's iPhone device.
But damn, $7 billion for a company that is a lot!

I agree, yeah they were a beast back in the day. But seems like they are focused on other things.

I'm sure Chrome OS is a good thing for a younger person that is used to living their entire life on the cloud. But, it doesn't meet the needs of someone like myself that has experienced these changes in technology, so there is still residual habits from before these things were available. A 17 year old, maybe even a 27 year old will be able to live paperless, I will not, because it's more of a habit to me to jot something down than it is to grab my phone.

If the note isn't significant enough, I just won't do it. A 17 year old probably knows nothing else.

Back