Xbox One Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One

Claptrap

Mandatory game installation required for all games; second install on separate Live account sits behind paywall
Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Um... wow... I have no comments on this one...

Whoa, seems legit I suppose. But man, they are going to seriously anger people if this is true. Not to mention it will suck up your hard drive capacity. I kind of don't understand why they're so bothered by the used game market. If you don't want a game bad enough that you're able to wait until it's $15 a year later or whatever, you're probably not willing to spend $60 on it new anyway. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

So basically, they're forcing you to install your DVD games into the HDD? Seems like a waste of space honestly. What if you have hundreds of games that takes up a lot of space? You'll run out in no time, and probably will have to spend more money on an additional hard drive.

I really hope this is not true.

There might be some luck. From what I've seen, there's been a lot of updates all over the net regarding this issue. It seems there's a bunch confirming and a bunch denying. It's extremely weird and it kinda feels that not even Microsoft knows.

It's just a big ball of problems with this reveal. Maybe they did this before the E3 so that they could see how the public would react and adapt to it? But even so, why did they took so many wrong choices with the console? First i couldn't borrow my friends some games because then they had to pay for online passes to play online, now they can't play at all.

I'm kind of curious to see how GameStop will resell a game now with it requiring another fee to even be played on your actual console if you buy used.

This is just one more reason that I'm going for the PS4 instead of the Xbox. I can't see your HDD lasting too long if this is true. How much space do you get as standard with the Xbox One? this is just more reasons to get money out of their customers, it's not looking good from Microsoft.

I want to know why. Why would they do something as ridiculous as charging a fee for games you already bought?

There might be some luck. From what I've seen, there's been a lot of updates all over the net regarding this issue. It seems there's a bunch confirming and a bunch denying. It's extremely weird and it kinda feels that not even Microsoft knows.

Unfortunately, Major Nelson confirmed there will be a fee. Just won't tell us how much.

Bye Bye Xbox.

More money for Microsoft. I'm not going to purchase an Xbox One if this is true. I'm also going to tell my friends and relatives not to buy one of this is true. Why would you put a fee on a game that is already used??? If I gave an Xbox One game that I already used to my niece, I would have to pay for a fee? ???? This is worse than donor's tax!

Unfortunately, Major Nelson confirmed there will be a fee. Just won't tell us how much.

Bye Bye Xbox.

I am afraid that many people are going to skip Xbox one, I am one of them. Perhaps Microsoft will learn and by Xbox two, they will have woke up.

They were certainly on the right track until greed completely overtook them.

It would really be nice if they would fix it so you can put the new improved kinect onto the old 360 system.

Luckily, I don't use my console to play regular game's, I use mine for sports and dancing and so I don't need a new game every day but I could use a better kinect!

So if a blu-ray disc can hold 25 gigs, and you have to install your games on a 500gb hard drive. You have to figure a 500gb harddrive won't really have 500gb capacity, and there will had to be some space used for the OS, that mean's you'd be able to install a total of 19 games. And that's assuming you have no harddrive space used up for music, DVRing, etc. I keep assuming this new Xbox DVRs, I'm not sure if that's been confirmed though. So if you have a decent amount of games you'll have to be managing them, deleting games when you buy new ones, etc. I'm not liking this concept. Also, there's the factor of copying the game to the hard-drive. It will probably take a decent bit of time to transfer 25 gigs. If I recall, the process of copying games to the hard-drive of the 360 was pretty slow. The one slight upside to this could be, once the game is "unlocked" for your account, you might not have to have the disc in to play, like the 360 currently requires.

This is kind of ridiculous. And like what cliverederson said, 500gb minus a chunk of it that you can't use, and having to install every game... Seems like they really want to waste our money and time. That with the fee business, I really really hope they change some things for the better or I might not get the Xbox One.

Back