Xbox One Microsoft Disputes Notion PS4 is 30% More Powerful than Xbox One

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
As reported by VideoGamer, Microsoft's director of product planning, Albert Penello, says allegations of a 30 percent advantage for the PlayStation 4 are not only missing the bigger picture. The allegations may not be true when all is said and done.

"I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating--as I have stated from the beginning--that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe," wrote Penello in a NeoGAF post. "There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance."

Penello's comments were in response to concerns over the internal components of the Xbox One. The alleged performance advantage is mostly attributed to the advanced GPU and RAM found in the PS4. Penello cited the experience of Microsoft programmers in explaining how the Xbox One will succeed, despite the numbers.

Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb agreed with Penello's points in a later Reddit post. "We have some of [the] smartest programmers in the world working on Xbox One," said Hryb. "I am very much looking forward to the next few months (and beyond) as the truth comes out."

Time will tell indeed, but in my honest opinion all that matters is that you pick the console you like. In the end speed and graphics don't deter fans from playing on their console of choice. Games looked slightly better on 360 this gen, but the didn't stop the PS3 hardcore from enjoying games on their console of choice. I like Xbox and thats why I'm here and why I'll be joining all of you on Day One.

Source:http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_no_way_ps4_has_a_30_power_advantage_over_xbox_one.html

I think the difference in games will be very minor, just like 360 vs ps3. Ironically everyone said the same thing when the current consoles were being made, yet many games are better on 360. Neither next-gen console is super impressive, they're basically mid-range PCs at this point. People love to get into the console wars, but honestly I wish both boxes were more powerful.

Well, time will tell for sure. PS3 turned out bee more powerful than 360, yet some games looked better on 360 than on PS3.

It depends on how the hardware is designed and how much juice can a developer extract from it.

...if they are basically the same, then why the extra bucks in difference between consoles?
We already know consoles are dragging down graphical evolution by a huge margin, so, godammit stop being little girls about who has the biggest power and FOCUS ON THE DAMN GAMES!

...if they are basically the same, then why the extra bucks in difference between consoles?
We already know consoles are dragging down graphical evolution by a huge margin, so, godammit stop being little girls about who has the biggest power and FOCUS ON THE DAMN GAMES!

The difference is due to the inclusion of kinect. PS4 removed the PS Eye from the bundle in order to lower their price point.

The difference is due to the inclusion of kinect. PS4 removed the PS Eye from the bundle in order to lower their price point.

Correct. The KiNECT is a lot more advanced than the eye so if they did include it, then it would only been a 40 dollar difference. The EYE will never get any real development time since Sony isn't going to push it anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QrZP0AmUvk

^
Interview in case anyone wants to watch. Albert comes off well but the bottom line is the Xbox One has less of a GPU and slower RAM. There is no disputing that. Now, does that mean it will translate into a huge difference onscreen? I doubt it.

"the bottom line is the Xbox One has less of a GPU and slower RAM' Yes, but inorder for a system to run really fast all the components have to work really well together. You can have a system with a very fast GPU and if everything else has a bunch of bottle necks, your system could end up slower. IMO the way it looks right now both the X1 and PS4 look very close.

Kerosene31;27941. said:
Neither next-gen console is super impressive, they're basically mid-range PCs at this point.

You think so? I can build a mid range PC for about 600 dollars, maybe less. Obviously it wouldn't come with the XBL or some exclusive games but overall I've always been partial to PC gaming anyhow.

The new consoles really both should be more powerful. :(

Perhaps, but last time around programming for the PS3 was pretty well impossible - which is why multiplatform were generally so ugly on the PS3. So the PS3 despite being the most powerful of current/last gen consoles ended up with a fairly poor showing over all. In contrast the PS4 seems to be a better programming experience so it maybe that this time the console is able to show off it tech advantage. The time she is a passing so we'll have definitive proof soon enough.

Sony and Xbox both are too concerned with saying who has the more 'powerful' machine. It really doesn't matter. They'll both play all the games I need them to, and they'll do it fine, provided one of them isn't a major downgrade. Who cares how powerful they are? Especially when you're getting into numbers like 30%. Microsoft is looking kind of childish here by refuting such an insignificant claim. It makes them look insecure, I guess.

Even more chances of there being the secret Hawaii proccessor from AMD seeing how microsoft seem to be confident that theirs is more powerful. They also said that there are things not fully understood about the Xbox One so theres another hint.

I think the difference in games will be very minor, just like 360 vs ps3. Ironically everyone said the same thing when the current consoles were being made, yet many games are better on 360. Neither next-gen console is super impressive, they're basically mid-range PCs at this point. People love to get into the console wars, but honestly I wish both boxes were more powerful.

The differences will be minor if you don't know what to look for. The PS4 hive mind is counting on your ignorance about it.

After drooling over all the new technology that is in Ryse for a month now, I can see how the PS4 game characters all look primitive and nearly last gen now. In Ryse you have environment maps for reflection effects, while ~playable~ PS4 games are all using specular shading still. Ryse has that hair shader in there in single player. I can find no instance of any PS4 game using a hair shader in any dynamically rendered model. Geometry shaders all over the place. All while having superior looking particle effects, even if they are not quite as voluminous as PS4 shader effects.

Then the kicker... The sheer number of animated skins on X1 games verses the relative dearth of animated characters on screen at one time in PS4 games.

It will be interesting to see if these and other advantages hold out for the X1 over the generation.

whoa....im not all into that tech. numbers stuff. You kinda lost me lol

Well lets start simple...

Number of dudes on screen at one time. We will call these Skinnable animated objects. They are special because they have a basic shape that is modified by what is called a vertex shader. It moves the individual points of the model around based upon some deformation function.

The very most we have seen on the PS 4 is about 8 characters at once. Those are on lowish detail models (40k polys) and they use the simple skeletons from last generation.

On the X1 we have Ryse, They show at times 20 animated high detail skins (those 130k poly monstrosities) with their next gen skeletons. We also have Dead Rising, which uses last gen animation skeletons, yet shows HUNDREDS of characters on the screen at one time.

I don't care about the flops on the GPU... I care about the devices ability to create immersive environments. At this time all evidence indicates that the X1 is capable of putting more characters on the screen at one time than the PS4.

debate discuss... Am I wrong in my observations here???

Number of dudes on screen at one time. We will call these Skinnable animated objects. They are special because they have a basic shape that is modified by what is called a vertex shader. It moves the individual points of the model around based upon some deformation function.

The very most we have seen on the PS 4 is about 8 characters at once. Those are on lowish detail models (40k polys) and they use the simple skeletons from last generation.

On the X1 we have Ryse, They show at times 20 animated high detail skins (those 130k poly monstrosities) with their next gen skeletons. We also have Dead Rising, which uses last gen animation skeletons, yet shows HUNDREDS of characters on the screen at one time.

I don't care about the flops on the GPU... I care about the devices ability to create immersive environments. At this time all evidence indicates that the X1 is capable of putting more characters on the screen at one time than the PS4.

Ok I see, now wouldnt we be thinking a little to early? Like what if the PS4 is actually harder to developer..again and these are just launch titles. Could it possibly even out after a year? That is th equestion.

I think its too early to concretely debate which tech is stronger or better. Its still before launch, the only thing that matters is which set of games pushes a bigger install base.

I think its too early to concretely debate which tech is stronger or better. Its still before launch, the only thing that matters is which set of games pushes a bigger install base.

Thats what I was thinking. We may be judgeing a little too early. I think it will be a little longer for the PS4 to show its stuff off since it doesnt have alot of launch games t show its muscle, but we will see eventually.

Thats what I was thinking. We may be judgeing a little too early. I think it will be a little longer for the PS4 to show its stuff off since it doesnt have alot of launch games t show its muscle, but we will see eventually.

Once we're 2 or 3 years in, the difference will be obviously noticeable, if there is any.

Back