Xbox One Microsoft Reduces Xbox One Launch Territories

ozadin

Originally, Xbox One was going to launch in 21 countries. Now, they limited it to 13 countries which is unfortunate. The reason? They stated that there are many factors that determines the timing of specific launches. Unfortunately, if you're living in any of the 8 countries, the Xbox One will be releasing on 2014 for you. However, you do get compensated with a game; it is not yet released what title it is. Microsoft also clarified that region locking will not prevent people from importing, so if you're in the US, you can import it to any country. The eight countries are -

- Belgium
- Denmark
- Finland
- Netherlands
- Norway
- Russia
- Sweden
- Switzerland

Eight countries have been cut from the list. "While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches," reads the announcement on Xbox Wire. "This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country."

Via Gameinformer

Ouch now that's a pretty big hit. They've already missed out pretty big countries like Poland and Japan, but this is just bad. I certainly see why they are hesitant, but if they want to be a step ahead of Sony, they need to take some risks , no region locking is always a bonus but it only applies to English speaking people and even then postage will cost you a fortune. I'm not sure if it's a smart move but it certainly doesn't look like one, it just gives Sony the opportunity to branch out into those countries and I think that this would be a far too lucrative of an opportunity to pass up for Sony.

The Xbox doesn't seem as popular in Europe as the PS4, so I think they're shooting themselves in the dick by doing this. They might have good reasons, but it's still gonna be really bad for them.

In my opinion, Microsoft did the right thing. If what Claptrap says is true, then who knows, maybe Microsoft saved some money by waiting until 2014 to release in those countries. I don't think xbox one will do as well as PS4, on a global scale. Only time will tell though, I, myself, am still waiting to see which console I will get.

It's really sad to see so many double takes. Some things can't be helped but I feel bad for Microsoft sometimes. They need to straighten out for real, wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One buyers there are just going to go PS4.

First Asian territories and now this. Well I guess this is why Xbox One is way behind PS4 in terms of pre-orders. And it seems as though the ratio is not going to improve if Xbox One is going to be delayed in more countries. Most people would happily chose PS4 over Xbox One. Who would want to wait to play some awesome next gen games after all?

Thats a big hit for microsoft there going to lose so many sales now people will be impatient and get the ps4 instead, the only thing i want xbox for is Titanfall as both consoles seem pretty much the exact same if i am honest.

Microsoft was getting such good press in the recent weeks...but now this again. They really need to get their act together and act like professionals.

At this point it seems almost like a startup with the stuff they've been changing after announcing it and the number of u turns they are making. It's not something you expect of a major company to do.

So there may be some truth to the production issues rumored. Hopefully they are pulling out all the stops for QC. They cannot survive all of this and have any kind of issues post launch.

Wow I didn't see that coming... I guess there was more backlash then one originally thought. That sucks for Microsoft because that's really going to hurt their profits. Well, I guess maybe we should have seen that coming.

Okay so - what is the big issue with these Eastern European countries? I mean they mention localization, but if they aren't cutting back on Middle-eastern or Hispanic countries then why stumble over these guys? I honestly don't understand this - what makes it worse is that I have heard nothing from either Sony or Nintendo about localization issues. Let me repeat that - the other Big Guy and the Japanese company aren't having any issues. MS should have pulled a Sony and launched last this time or something. It would have saved them a lot of trouble since it would have given them more time to organize and perfect their product. Oh, well.

Potentially Forza Motorsport 5, or Kinect Sport Rivals are the free games that will be offered to the territories that will not have access to the Xbox One on launch date according to a leaked email on NeoGAF. Never heard of Kinect Sport Rivals, but Forza Motorsport would be my choice.

Source

Okay so - what is the big issue with these Eastern European countries? I mean they mention localization, but if they aren't cutting back on Middle-eastern or Hispanic countries then why stumble over these guys? I honestly don't understand this - what makes it worse is that I have heard nothing from either Sony or Nintendo about localization issues. Let me repeat that - the other Big Guy and the Japanese company aren't having any issues. MS should have pulled a Sony and launched last this time or something. It would have saved them a lot of trouble since it would have given them more time to organize and perfect their product. Oh, well.

Hispanic countries were probably a priority since that would mean Spain + most of South America, instead of a single country like some languages. Still inexcusable, in my opinion, but oh well...

Oh wow.
That is like, half of Europe right there! Are they really doing the correct thing by denying such thing to all of those countries during launch? If that prevents hardware malfunctions that consoles tend to have on release, then great, but still, that is a lot of customers lost right there!

update: Microsoft director of marketing Albert Penello has explained that the Xbox One delay was due to implementing voice support for various languages into the dashboard.

When a NeoGAF user postulated that Microsoft was discouraging importing because it wanted to make sure there were enough copies left for those in supported territories, Penello responded, "launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. It's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch."

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work • News • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net

This is a pretty big deal, and it could really put a damper on the initial sales of the Xbox One. Microsoft already isn't doing amazing in the European countries excluding the United Kingdom, so for them to miss out on these countries with the Xbox One is a little worrying. Now that this news has been released, Sony can definitely take advantage of this. I guess we will find out during GamesCom.

Well I really wouldnt even take anyhting from NeoGAF because of past exp. and they seem to HATE X1 over there. On the other hand think about it you guys. This is the NEXT GEN. They are going to want to focus on their STRONGEST markets 1st while giving to the other mases 2nd. Thats just business honestly. Atleast those other countries get a free game! lol. I mean to cancel you pre-order and miss out on all those cool launch games just so you can have a console with less launch titles and exclusive is a little childish. Just wait a few months

This is a pretty big deal, and it could really put a damper on the initial sales of the Xbox One. Microsoft already isn't doing amazing in the European countries excluding the United Kingdom, so for them to miss out on these countries with the Xbox One is a little worrying. Now that this news has been released, Sony can definitely take advantage of this. I guess we will find out during GamesCom.

Whats going to happen is Sony will announce that they are launching in 15! countries lol and it will be like E3 all over again.:p

Back