Xbox One Microsoft says The Xbox One An 'Entirely Justifiable' Business Expense

Keith Watson

Microsoft's Marques Lyons just blogged that because of the potential business uses of the Xbox One, business should be able to write-off buying them! I'm going to write a memo to my boss right now, I'm pretty sure I'll need one on my desk.

I could see this working for some businesses but not all and that might be where workers get upset over it. If you have a full size company break room and have works that will play without breaking things (in a fit of rage) then I could see it working out. For those rowdy places though I am not sure it would be a good fit.

I like how he's pretending the Xbox One is a full-blown PC, and not a gaming console, or entertainment console technically.

Lyons lists features packaged with the Xbox like Kinect-enabled Skype video conferencing, SkyDrive cloud storage, Wi-Fi direct for beaming tablet presentations to a TV, and general apps like Internet Explorer and Office Web.

How will the Xbox One replace laptops or desktops? PC's can do what is presented in the quotes above, and what Lyon said. It offers wider options, and laptops are actually very cheap compared to the Xbox One. Having to present your presentations on your Xbox One doesn't seem professional enough. Even mobile phones or tablets can do the same as the Xbox One.

Okay....That's just weird. I'd like to be able to write off consoles as a business expense, but I just don't follow the logic. It may work in the ways they're talking about, but there are other more efficient (and cheaper) methods of doing the same thing.

Sounds pretty interesting. The question though is whether or not business's will actually take advantage of the Xbox One. In my opinion I don't see that happening. At least not anytime soon. I think it will most likely take one brave business to show off a interesting use for the console and then other systems will probably follow suit.

This is convincing me to just open my own "company" and have an Xbox One as a write off. I mean, I could use it to help me web cast videos. Videos of me playing games. Lots of games. Somehow I'll make money off of this. This is not unheard of right? There might be so much work that I need two Ones! The sky is the limit you know!

The only snag is in order write something off you have to have income. For starters, Microsoft still has a big presence in the enterprise and the Xbox is a cheaper than most video conferencing solutions also the cool factor seems to be what they are reaching for, maybe like Google giving out free skateboards to their employees or whatever they are doing this week.

If you do figure out how to make money from playing games PM me. I will work for you and you can write it off.

I think a lot of people would end up being audited if they tried this. Just because someone says it's justifiable doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Back