Xbox 360 More than just a gaming console

SiA360

From
Florida
I didn't realize before, but the Xbox is way more than just a gaming console. I don't watch tv, so I decided to cancel my cable for the first time in my life and now I have Netflix and also ESPN on my Xbox, because of my Comcast internet. I use the ESPN because I follow professional tennis so I get to watch the whole tournaments at my leisure. I have found so many movies to enjoy I thought I never would on Netflix. The Xbox is really a great source of entertainment in my home.

That is good thinking on your part, Sia. Unfortunately for me, I am unable to do as such because my cable company has a monolpoly over our time and there are no other internet providers here. LOL!

Good strategy Sia and you gave me an idea on how to setup my Xbox like the one you did. I don't watch TV anymore because I'm more on playing games than just sitting and watching TV.

Yeah, the ability to hook up my Netflix account to my Xbox is something I'm excited about! It'll be much more fun watching movies on my TV than on my computer.

My cable company has a monopoly in my area too, so I can't do that. However, I don't think I would do that anyways, because I live with my little sister who watches a lot of TV. Nevertheless, it's great to hear that people come up with such creative ways to use their Xbox. It confirms once again that Microsoft's console is a great device.

My cable company has a monopoly in my area too, so I can't do that. However, I don't think I would do that anyways, because I live with my little sister who watches a lot of TV. Nevertheless, it's great to hear that people come up with such creative ways to use their Xbox. It confirms once again that Microsoft's console is a great device.

That sucks man. I use to live in a place that only allowed one cable company so I had to give up Comcast for a while. I moved out and have it again though. You can use Facebook and I think Twitter on Xbox along with Lastfm, Zune, and Hulu as well.

I love that game consoles can do more than just play games, now! I'm thinking of getting Netflix for my Xbox as well, and cenceling my cable. I don't really use it so I think I'd save money if I switched to just Netflix.

I also love that most game consoles are more than just that now. I did not know you could get ESPN on them though. Pretty cool! I do have Netflix and I do watch movies through the Xbox.

That's a great setup, Sia. Cable is so expensive and I'm getting to the point where I only watch movies and news. It makes a lot more sense to do what you've described. And I agree with Pamalala. I'd much rather watch movies or anything else on my TV than the computer.

But how do you use Hulu and Facebook without internet service? For me, we have only our cable provider for internet. There is no other way to get internet here other than perhaps DSL which is really not so good.

I didn't realize before, but the Xbox is way more than just a gaming console. I don't watch tv, so I decided to cancel my cable for the first time in my life and now I have Netflix and also ESPN on my Xbox, because of my Comcast internet. I use the ESPN because I follow professional tennis so I get to watch the whole tournaments at my leisure. I have found so many movies to enjoy I thought I never would on Netflix. The Xbox is really a great source of entertainment in my home.

We have a similar setup in our house. We have an Xbox, Xbox Live and Netflix, and we're considering a Microsoft Zune membership so we can stream live music through our Xbox as well. It's so wild to think than a video game console has replaced a stereo receiver as the center of an entertainment system!

It's so wild to think that a video game console has replaced a stereo receiver as the center of an entertainment system!

I know, right?! We have an entertainment center with a stereo receiver, multi-disc CD player and DVD player, and believe it or not, we don't even use it anymore because you can do all that with the Xbox. You can play CDs and DVDs through it and stream music, movies and TV shows - all on top of playing video games! And if you hook a Kinect up to it and buy some exercise-based games, you have a virtual gym, too, lol.

Hi all, new to forum, need to ask about external hard drives. We have the slim 360 250gb model. Now say I am up to about level 5 in a game and I want to go to a mates place and he has the same game.

Will any external hard drive be able to be connected to the USB port on the back of my Xbox and the my profile or game level downloaded to the drive, then I can just take the drive to avmates place, plug in and play when he puts the game disk in. Will i still be on the same level and then when I return home, can I download the level I amat from my mates onto my hard drive.....

If so what external hard drive would be the best and if not what do you recommend.

Cheers

^I would think no, because the data may be saved on the portable hard drive, but your profile is still on the normal hard drive. Not 100% sure though.

Back