New Vita exclusive: Freedom Wars

Claptrap

Sony this past week has been teasing us with a lot of things, from the PS4 hardware to obscure gameplay from unannounced titles. Sony Japan’s recently released trailer for a game seemingly titled “Panopticon” left a lot of buzz in the PS Vita community, especially with the system in dire need of the next hit game.

There is no word as of yet on what the gameplay will be like, but we do know that it will be a multiplayer action game of some kind as revealed through the description of the video. There is a numbers system involved which seems to indicate how long a person has left to live, but there is no confirmation of this as of yet.

Freedom Wars, although no full description was given, can have it’s plot somewhat pieced together by watching the trailer. The game takes place in/around Japan, and involves a futuristic society that is crumbling for whatever reason. There is a numbers system, as mentioned earlier, that counts down when ever someone gets injured. This leads us to believe that the numbers represent either a health system or the length of someone’s life. A special police force of sorts, with the ability to see this number, can be seen in the trailer hunting down specific people and capturing them.

The game’s website has released three screenshots, although none of them really say much other than implying a potential third person shooter style game. There are several blackened out screenshots that read “UNVEIL: 5-23-13″ or the same thing with later dates. The three screenshots each have a word written to the side, reading Imprisonment, Recapture, and War. This gives us further insight into a potential story for Freedom Wars.

Freedom Wars is being developed by Sony’s Japan Studio, the same people responsible for games like Patapon, Locoroco, and Gravity Rush. It seems that they are particularly interested in making handheld games, so there is plenty of promise involved in this announcement.

Source: http://linkters.com/new-vita-exclusive-game-freedom-wars-announced/

So, this sounds extremely awesome. I had watched the trailer a few days ago (check the source if you wanna watch the trailer) and I was really interested in it, but we only had a potential name back then (Panopticon) and no other information. It's great that they've finally revealed it's apparently official title and the platform.

I say that, from the screenshots, it does definitely look great and I bet it will be one of the Vita's big titles (which it really needs more of, but it's not really lacking in games). I am really looking forward into hearing more about the game and hope that they show a gameplay trailer sometime soon. Also want to hear a little bit more about the story, which sounds extremely interesting so far.

Back