Xbox 360 NHL 13 Top Teams Analysis/Guide

mamessier

Contributor
NHL 13 Top Teams Analysis/Guide

In all sports titles, we see roster updates that change the balance of the game. NHL 13 is no exception. However, if you’re not a hardcore hockey fan or if you’ve been out of the loop since the lockout, the changes might have been hard to keep up with. So here I’ve put together a little guide to help you evaluate the very best teams in the game after the latest roster update. We all have our preferences, but referring to what’s going in the competitive EASports Arena (Virgin Gaming), I believe this small list is pretty accurate. As you will quickly notice, these choices are strongly based on the goalie that back these teams up. In NHL 13, goals can come in various ways (which can be both random and frustrating at times), so therefore investing in the very best stats in front of the net is pretty much a no-brainer. Let’s jump right in with the first team:

Los Angeles Kings

The Los Angeles Kings are probably the team that benefit the most from the last roster update. Their top players were left relatively untouched, they added some depth and kept their amazing goalie Jonathan Quick as well. LA now boast literally 8 players rated 80 and over on their first 3 lines. That is some potential scoring power well spread out so that you always have good hopes of scoring no matter who’s on the ice. The Kings therefore allow you to give your first two lines a bit of a break even in the most urgent situations. Since the release of NHL 13, rarely have we seen a third line that can be this efficient.

1 – Brown 84, Kopitar 86, Williams 83
2 – Penner 80, Richard 87, Carter 86
3 – Gagne 86, Stoll 82, Lewis 73
4 – King 72, Fraser 75, Nolan 71

1 – Scuderi 81, Doughty 87
2 – Martinez 77, Voynov 78
3 – Bobnarchuk 69 Drewiske 74

Goalie: Quick 90

Vancouver Canucks

Inversely from the Kings, the Canucks were pretty hurt by the last roster update. Their strong first line remained intact, but their second line was strongly hurt by the removal of the 88 rated center Kesler on the second line, all while losing some more punch on the 3rd and 4th line. Vancouver were previously the undisputed stacked team of NHL 13, but they lost a good amount of stats and depth this time around. Finally, although Schneider is now in front of the net by default, you should obviously put back the 89 rated Luongo, until he gets traded in a further roster update that is! Perhaps the only thing the Vancouver Canucks still have going for them is their incredibly skillful defense. When it comes to pokechecking the puck, following their man and checking, they’re still unmatched.

1 – Sedin 91, Sedin 90, Burrows 83
2 – Raymond 80, Ebbett 73, Kassian 76
3 – Higgins 82, Lapierre 78, Hansen 80
4 – Volpatti 71, Malhotra 78, Weise 73

1 – Garrison 81, Edler 88
2 – Hamhuis 88, Bieksa 84
3 – Ballard 81, Tanev 73

Goalie: Luongo 89

New York Rangers

The New York Rangers always need to be considered when it comes to making your team pick. The number one reason for that is their 91 rated goalie Lundqvist. Lundqvist could easily be considered as the best goalie in the game, as the only goalie that's higher rated than him is Ryan Miller from Buffalo. However, the Sabres are too much of a lower tier team to even be considered in a list like this.

And now goalies aside, the explosive trio of Richards, Gaborik and Nash are probably the fastest way of going down the ice and score a goal without getting touched. These three got separated in the new update, but you can still put them back together, and the same goes for all their 4 lines because their team roster has not changed one bit. You can choose to spread out their power or to reunite them like before.

1 – Hagelin 77, Richard 87, Nash 87
2 – Gaborik 89, Stephan 82, Callahan 84
3 – Pyatt 75, Boyle 78, Kreider 68
4 – Rupp 76, Halpern 74, Asham 73

1 – Mcdonagh 86, Girardi 85
2 – Del Zotto 83, Bickel 73
3 – Staal 85, Stralman 73

Goalie: Lundqvist 91

In conclusion, let me say that for the first time since the release of the game, the Kings earn my vote for the best team in the game. I’ve always switched between Vancouver (best overall stats) and the Rangers (3 most explosive players and best goalie), but now the Kings’ army of 80+ players can’t be ignored. I personally don’t think it is needed to have 90+ players to put the puck in the back of the net, so I can live without having any.

Fortunately, I think NHL 13 is still a balanced game after the update and I like the fact that the Kings are by no means overpowered. Depending on your playstyle, another team could be just as good of a pick. As a last advice, get to know these teams even you’re not choosing them yourself, so you will know what to look for on the ice. If a team fell off my radar, please add it in a post below with a little analysis : ) Thanks for reading.

I find that if anything the Kings are underpowered, I mean c'mon, the owner went out and got talent but he went out of his way to get BIG talent, as in HUGE players.

Did you see the Washington Capitals lined up next to the Kings last year? Every Kings player towered a foot above the Washington guy, it was funny.

So, is switching between the Canucks and Rangers, related to a Mark Messier thing? Just curious. What is your take on game play in NHL13 versus that of NHL12? I ask because I have yet to purchase NHL13 and am hesitant to do so. Can you convince me otherwise?

I find that if anything the Kings are underpowered, I mean c'mon, the owner went out and got talent but he went out of his way to get BIG talent, as in HUGE players.

Did you see the Washington Capitals lined up next to the Kings last year? Every Kings player towered a foot above the Washington guy, it was funny.

Washington is a one man team with Ovechkin when he's on, maybe besides Ribeiro now. I got the most ridiculous goals score on me by him in 13 :p

And no the Messier thing is just a coincidence :p I had way more fun in 13 this year than I did in 12, mainly because of the new skating. Games get less predictable and repetitive this way.

That's good to hear. Based on some convincing by some co-workers and such, I have given in and am now downloading NHL13. With the 5.5gb, it is sure taking a while. I'd almost be more inclined to go purchase the game at the store from now on, it'd be quicker anyway than downloading it. Same price, longer wait. So the skating is better in 13 than 12? That's good to hear. How about glitches? In 12 I had glitches like a dude going to change on the fly and he just stands (gets stuck) at the bench door and my guy won't come out until the play is stopped. Hopefully 13 is less glitchy and bugs are worked out.
I'll let you know what I think of it once it is done downloading and I can play the friggin thing.

Ok, I broke down and downloaded NHL13!! I see the skating is different but that is pretty much it, I have yet to try the online features as I don't have an xbox live acct at the moment. But at least on game play, this game I lose a lot more games than I did on NHL12, not to mention scoring is a bit tougher here that it was there. Pretty cool game all-in-all but I'm not sure it's worth the $60 I paid for it.

Back