Nintendo admits it needs a new franchise

That is very exciting! I for one hope it is something adventurous with a good backstory. A new franchise with no backbone would undoubtedly not get too far anyway, so it is better to hope for the best than to assume the worst. They should keep the mind of the general public in mind as well to avoid it being a total flop due to a random amount of incompetence on their side. I also wouldn't mind something different from the same old, same old. :p

I heard that Nintendo is working on a new license.
The problem with these new licenses is that it is not safe values.:p

I hope that Nintendo may restart itself, but before that, it must highlight its old licenses for make sell more Wii U.

Until now, Nintendo is selling the cheapest console. Is this a thing bonen.;)

More than a new franchise, I would like to see Nintendo completely reinvent some of its classics. Mario has been wearing the same clothes and looking the exact same for more than twenty years. They really need to update him to appeal to the newer generations. Samus and Metroid I feel can stay the same. Donkey Kong simply isn't the powerhouse it used to be on the SNES and N64. Once RARE left, the magic went with them. I feel Nintendo needs more games with actual plots and stories. Donkey Kong and Mario literally have the exact same story game after game. So why do we keep playing? Because the game play is so fun and revolutionary each time. If they could match the game play improvements with actual stories and character driven plots, imagine the classics they could make.

On a another hand, I am excited for a new, fresh franchise.

Call me interested. I don't want them to play it too safe if they do this; they already have plenty of franchises that will sell like hotcakes, so they ought to seize the opportunity to do something bold. Think of how complex the original Legend of Zelda was for its day; that's bold, and I want that if they're going to touch new ground. Come on, Nintendo, give me a reason to want the Wii U.

It's an interesting thought, for sure. I suppose it's better to go with existing, successful franchises than to try and fail over and over. Still, I remember a conversation recently about how many different kinds of Mario games there are. At a certain point, they're just stretching the franchise far too thin. It may be difficult to replicate big icons like that, but it certainly isn't impossible.

It's an interesting thought, for sure. I suppose it's better to go with existing, successful franchises than to try and fail over and over. Still, I remember a conversation recently about how many different kinds of Mario games there are. At a certain point, they're just stretching the franchise far too thin. It may be difficult to replicate big icons like that, but it certainly isn't impossible.
Not only are they stretching their beloved franchises thin, they're shamelessly releasing mediocre games with their mascots in them, which isn't something I often target when I am in the mood for complaining, but I've always found it interesting that Nintendo is by far the best at milking and being excused for it. I'm aware that they get called out for it, but they aren't exactly critically lambasted for it as other milked franchises are, even if said franchises aren't nearly as bad in that respect. It's not as if they compensate it by releasing, for instance, AAA Mario and Zelda games, as they're also just more of the same done exceptionally well, although you could argue that the "exceptionally well" part of the equation is all you need. I'll end my slightly off-course rambling with this: Nintendo ought to touch new ground, and a new IP (hopefully one they won't feature the characters therein in tennis games) is in my humble opinion, an excellent idea.

But don't consider any of this to be dissent; I totally agree that it's not impractical to play it safe and continue to go with the tried and true, but I know I'm not alone in saying that Nintendo can and should flex their creative muscles.

I know many old Nintendo fans like myself would be up for this but they really need to bring their A game. Some older companies that we kind of forget about try to bounce back up and the "umf" factor is not there enough to get the audience excited and keep them that way in order to prosper rather than fall flat. I hope they do not do it, but there is always a chance.

Didn't they show a new franchise at E3?
It's called "Wonderful 101" I think.
We'll see how that pans out and if it has any success.

Not only are they stretching their beloved franchises thin, they're shamelessly releasing mediocre games with their mascots in them, which isn't something I often target when I am in the mood for complaining, but I've always found it interesting that Nintendo is by far the best at milking and being excused for it. I'm aware that they get called out for it, but they aren't exactly critically lambasted for it as other milked franchises are, even if said franchises aren't nearly as bad in that respect. It's not as if they compensate it by releasing, for instance, AAA Mario and Zelda games, as they're also just more of the same done exceptionally well, although you could argue that the "exceptionally well" part of the equation is all you need. I'll end my slightly off-course rambling with this: Nintendo ought to touch new ground, and a new IP (hopefully one they won't feature the characters therein in tennis games) is in my humble opinion, an excellent idea.

But don't consider any of this to be dissent; I totally agree that it's not impractical to play it safe and continue to go with the tried and true, but I know I'm not alone in saying that Nintendo can and should flex their creative muscles.

True. As squeaky clean as Nintendo appears, they're guilty of a lot of the same mistakes as Sony and Microsoft. I'm not someone who gets bent out of shape over excessive franchise releases, but I would much rather see something new of quality than a re-imagining of an old story. What prevented me from buying a Wii was the lack of games (aside from their main franchises) in general. If they want to compete with Sony and Microsoft once the new consoles are released, they're going to have to up their game considerably in terms of new releases.

Back