No more PS2 at Gamestop

shadee

Gamestop announced last week that they will no longer carry games for the Playstation 2. In anticipation of the release of the WiiU and the Xbox 720 they have decided to lose the PS2 games to have more shelf space available for them.

This doesn't surprise me. They barely had much of a selection left anyways, and they stopped accepting them for trade-in quite a while back.

Well, that stinks. The ones around here still had a lot of PS2 games. Oh, well though I hardly ever pull the PS2 out to play the games I already have here so no great loss. Hopefully, that will mean they will get some even better stuff.

I stopped buying used games at Gamestop a long time ago anyway, so it makes no difference to me. Used games at Gamestop hardly ever have the original box or cover art and the discs are scratched and dirty.
As a collector ,I hate it when people abuse their games and I don't like buying dirty games. I buy most of my used games on Amazon now. When I was younger, I used to think Gamestop was the best thing since sliced bread and I would have been devastated to hear that they stopped selling PS2 games. Now I really don't care. They have no standards and their used games are nasty.

It's about time lol. Whenever I used to walk into gamestop I thought to myself, "Why do they still sell these?". The PS2 is outdated and there is no reason for them to be selling games for an irrelevant console.

Agreed. I can't imagine they were getting much for the old PS2 titles anyways. I know a few of the huge titles are still worth something like some of the Final Fantasy titles on the PS2 or Mario on the Gamecube, but overall, I would think that carrying those titles would just take up room and be a bit of a pain.

It's about time lol. Whenever I used to walk into gamestop I thought to myself, "Why do they still sell these?". The PS2 is outdated and there is no reason for them to be selling games for an irrelevant console.

Someday the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be outdated and they'll end up in a dumpster too as people chase the next new trend.
I don't get why people are so quick to dismiss older games and call them irrelevant. People still watch movies from the 1990's and early 2000's and yet those same people think PS2 games are worthless, even though the PS2 has a decade's worth of famous games.

I seriously think that if a new game console came out every 3 months, that there are people so obsessed with new things that they would buy a new console every 3 months. The Xbox 360 still has a lot of great games, yet a lot of people can't wait to throw it in a dumpster and buy the 720 and get rid of all their 360 games. I already hear kids talking about what an old fashioned piece of junk the PS3 is and how they can't wait for the PS4.
People have short attention spans and they love to throw things away. That works out for me, because I get really cheap games and consoles that way.

The reason I said I don't care if Gamestop stops selling PS2 games is that their games are dirty, overpriced and missing the original boxes.

I still buy PS2 games on Amazon to expand my collection. I still have all of my consoles. If I was to get an Xbox 720, I would still keep everything that I've bought for my 360. People are too quick to turn their back on decades of entertainment because something newer came out last week.

People will love a song or a movie for 20 years, but start calling a video game worthless or irrelevant after 5 years. As a collector, I don't get that.

Aw. I'm a little bummed out to hear that. I wonder if this effects their online saling of the ps2 games? They have great prices for new and used on there, and I still enjoy playing on my ps2. I would assume that it probably doesn't, since you said their reasoning was shelf space and their online stuff is stored in a warehouse anyways. It wouldn't harm their sales in to keep those up. Though I wonder if that's why they've been having sales (both on and offline) for all of that stuff. Oh well, there's Amazon, who does a lot of used and new CDs with varying prices. They have a lot of options for both if you want to go through a third party, so that's not bad. It's actually probably better to buy from them anyways, since you can see their reviewers. Gamestop has, more than once, given bad games that don't even play out, and there's really no way to see reviews about their 'specific' sellers since they don't have any.

The GameStop here in Randleman has a ton of PS2 games!

Aw. I'm a little bummed out to hear that. I wonder if this effects their online saling of the ps2 games? They have great prices for new and used on there, and I still enjoy playing on my ps2. I would assume that it probably doesn't, since you said their reasoning was shelf space and their online stuff is stored in a warehouse anyways. It wouldn't harm their sales in to keep those up. Though I wonder if that's why they've been having sales (both on and offline) for all of that stuff. Oh well, there's Amazon, who does a lot of used and new CDs with varying prices. They have a lot of options for both if you want to go through a third party, so that's not bad. It's actually probably better to buy from them anyways, since you can see their reviewers. Gamestop has, more than once, given bad games that don't even play out, and there's really no way to see reviews about their 'specific' sellers since they don't have any.

I'm glad to see that someone else besides me still brings out the PS2 from time to time. I prefer to buy PS2 games from Amazon Warehouse Deals because they clean them, test them and put shrink wrap on them, so it's a different experience from buying them from an individual Amazon seller or Gamestop.

Gamestop doesn't do anything special with their used games except put them in plain boxes because the original boxes are always missing.

There's an awesome pawn shop in my city that sells PS2 games and hardware. They actually have an entire room just for video games and musical instruments; they have a Virtual Boy (for like $300), the original Famicom and Super Famicom, and all sorts of the old-school accessories. You can get terrible PS2 and XBox games (think Enter the Matrix) for $5, and the good ones for $10-15 or so. It's where I got my Prince of Persia games.

Back