Xbox One Official Xbox One Owner Impressions - Thoughts, Pictures, Other

PB7

Former Administrator
Xbox One Console.jpg

For everyone picking up their Xbox One Consoles tonight please share your opinions on what you think of your new system. Give us your impressions, thoughts, what you like and dislike so far, games you bought, games you've played and the feel, and pictures of your new beast. Its a big night so lets hear them. Sound off here and let everyone else know how you feel about your new system! Gives the other members waiting to get theirs a good idea on what to expect. I'll be posting mine later tonight!

officially have it xb1

title says it all... i am 89% done with the update... actually super fast download.. def less than 15 minutes at this point.

i love the way the box is packaged.. guy at gamestop(worker) had comment how much better it is than ps4.. i cant agree or disagree or deny but i like the packaging.

got 3 games
limited edition forza 5
battlfeild4
assasins creed 4

going to download/start the game install's tonight. and why thats going on put in the 20 some cards of codes lol.

i did not install my kinect.. where my tv sits in the bed room is about 4 feet from bottom of my bed on the dresser next ot the tv.. im not sure how it would work with me laying down and only seeing my arms/head so i opted to not connect it at this point. i may soon tho.

no pictures at this point ..

thing i have noticed.. the ui is a 720 @60hz upon start up.. i have yet to see full 1080 come up on the tv indicating its uped its hrz or resolution. not a deal breaker just a comment.
the start up cold is actually quite lengthy.. proably a minute or so from dead cold no stand by.

well post it up hear folks.. do u have it and whats your thought? game on...

I'm 23 percent done with the update. Can't wait to try this bad boy out.

First impressions.

I just got home and completed my update.

Out of the box I have to say the system is much nicer in person than pictures and videos. It's on the larger side but it really looks and feels like it's well made.
The controller is amazing, a very nice lightweight feel. It's super comfortable. Downside is that it lacks a built in rechargeable battery.
The update took about 10 minutes total with a wired internet connection.
The kinect setup was quick and simple.
The dashboard is beautiful and easy to navigate.

Now it's time to start playing around with the dash board and install some games.

Anyone else have their Xbox yet? What do you think?

The interface is really slick. Set up didn't take to long. Unfortunately i'm waiting for games to download. The voice features work great.

Hey did any of your get stuck at the push a button screen??? It is just flashing a circle around a button and I've pushed it

Edit: I just restarted the Xbox and it worked second time around.

my 2 hour impression.

setup was easy... skipped over kinect.. nd no tv/digital tv input in my bed room (wont have tv tuner oh well)

i went with the 2nd color to the right.. a almost seafoam green. love it. background is black and my tiles/download and general navigation is in a seafoam green color.

as i redeemed all my codes+xbl 12 month thing i had forza5 installing.
forza5 took a good bit to get to 13% maybe 15 minutes roughly before it could install enough off the disk or wherever to play.. after roughly 1:20 minutes i have got my drivatar running and ran thru 2 full events(5 or so races a piece) the game has still only download 3/4 of itself at this point..

i have installed from the app section netflix(had all my info stored from 360) was able to pin to home and jump in without signing in(which was nice) i than downloaded amazon prime.... it did not store my info and log in so in the am i will have to dig up the email/password as it is saved in my key logg not something i remember off the top of my head...

i do plan on installing battlfeild4 and assasins creed4 tonight.. or i may play forza some more once its installed and pop in another disk to start downloading..(if possible)

a goal for today but when civilization is alive.. use skype with my cousin in pa who is in college.. she uses skype and would be nice to see and talk to her.

things i have noticed:
i hate that it shows me my kinect is disconnected.. you get a small picture of the kinect with a little circle and slash thru it on home area on top right.
the first few times you are in a application or try and bounce around it is not super crisp and fast.. not that it is laggy but def not as fast as was shown in a few of the recent demo/launches by microsoft.

as for my forza5 first impression:
the rumble bumpers and sticks scared the crap out of me first time abs(breaks) kicked in entering a corner to fast. i am use to it now..

they are trying to present the game tracks/cars make it more cinamatic pre gameplay. (not just a screen with tabs to go thru like forza4) the lady who talks seems to talk allot. i love topgear(europe) so them talking about the cars or a location is ok at this point the lady seems to be informative but at the same point always talking.

the cars look good.. while playing. i dont play in the cockpit but i do play back off the car so you see the detail and such. most of my races i am in the gold catagory(top3)... the handling will take some getting use to.. even on the lower level cars you can enter to fast and 4 wheel slide thru a corner. i wa use to this in the mid/higher power classes but in the lower you could usually stick a corner hard and come out ok.. this may mess with my driviatar..

speaking of driviatar.. yea... you cna tell it takes what people are doing and adapting. you see people over shoot a corner or enter to fast and slide up the track. they also tend to bunch up in the start making passing semi hard and usually forcing a few bumps... i dont tapping people but it seems to happen allot more till i get in the top 1/4 of the racers than it seems to be cleaner racing. i have changed my paint a few times jus to see how it looks.. did a few aero upgrades and rims...

next thing i will try is a few of the monthly challanges... go into the rivals mode and see about times in what classes. i tend to stay away from hyper cars.. i like the slower classes where racing and finding that line means more.. where that late break can kill you or save your split time we shall see.. this is one thing i got into fairly big on forza4... it kept the game fresh with monthly challanges.

i am a vip(forza5) i got my cars and such +the bonuses but nothing gifted from turn10 or anything like that. but like horizon i have already gotten 3 messages about different things as a vip ect ect.. which is ok. but tends to get annoying when you get 10 messages a day from them.

well that is my lengthy first impression of actual game play and setup with 2 hours under my belt.

So far I am extremely impressed with everything! Fast, voice and gesture commands are executed surprisingly well and correctly. I can notice the kinect getting used to my hand and voice already which is crazy. Ps-the kinect rivals jet ski demo is awesome and works flawlessly. Couldnt be happier. One question though. When I turn off the console, I have it in standby mode for the Xbox on command the light on the power brick stays on which I guess makes sense. My question is is there a way to turn off everything completely like the 360? I searched a lot and couldn't find the option for that.

I am really happy with the Xbox one and all features.. I have noticed it seems faster to download digital games vs install off disc in order to play them.. I am wondering if maybe since the system was originally built for digital and not really disc that this is the reason... I will more likely be doing all digital from now on.

I am really happy with the Xbox one and all features.. I have noticed it seems faster to download digital games vs install off disc in order to play them.. I am wondering if maybe since the system was originally built for digital and not really disc that this is the reason... I will more likely be doing all digital from now on.

if i could go digital with my 3 games at this point i would.. i hate getting up and swapping disks now. my next games may be download to be honest.

I got the new console delivered today, and played Ryse, Son of Rome on it, and it was great. Now I have to learn how to fight. lol The new console is sweet

My Xbox One did not come until later in the day, so I set it up, downloaded the Day One, installed all my games
and set up the download que with a bunch of things so it could do all that overnight.

Today is my big playing day.

Can't get my sons account to add on the new system. It has charged my credit card $.50, 5 times, to verify I am an adult, and still keeps cycling me back to the verify screen. Other than that everything is working great.

I don't have a lot of time to post here as I want to get on the Xbox One as much as I can, but tomorrow from work I will give a
more detailed opinion.

For a quick opinion, Wow, stunning, amazing!!!!

OK so now some first impressions.

I thought the packaging was well done and made a nice impression from opening the outer box it arrived in.
I did a layman type unboxing video showing it all.

The controller is nice, it really fits well in my hand and super easy to use. It felt almost like it was made for my hands it fit so nice.

The unit itself is really "smaller" that I was expecting going from the online and YT reviews. I was expecting it to be huge and it
was a decent size. A little heavier than I expected if anything.

Setup was really easy, I also did a short video on that, and the day one update took only a couple minutes with Xfinity blast internet.
I answered a few questions and things like that and was at the home screen a lot quicker than I first expected. One thing that
surprised me was nothing was preinstalled. If you want to play a video, you have to install it, play a bluray install it, etc...

Kinect for all the people criticizing it, is really a work of art and amazing. They are going to be sorry they don't even try it or pass
on the Xbox One because of it if you ask me. I set it up and tried a few basic commands, then Skyped a few minutes and it was
great. There were a few times I had to repeat things or gestures, but it did not detract from anything. I also tried the kinect sports
demo with no problems. It is also active in some of the games and in Madden I made a time out and called audibles, it really
added a little to the game.

Apps: I installed a bunch of apps and there is not really a large selection, but the main popular ones are there.
I went on YT a little, Skype, etc... I am sure there will be more soon.

Now the couple games I tried.

Killer Instinct free, great graphics and smooth game play. It brought back a lot of good memories and nice that it was free.

COD Ghosts. I know some complained about 1080/720 this and that, but I thought the graphics were fine and whatever was
whatever it looked nice. I only tried the single player mission and really enjoyed that. Glad I got it.

Madden 25 was really fun, I think I played this more than anything. Graphics were much better than what I remember on the
360, cut scenes and other animation were almost real. The controls and players act a lot more realistic and the player quirks
dances, moves and such really added to the game. If your a Live friend you can see some of my saved videos online.

Ryse I installed, but did not play a lot so I can't comment much other than to say the graphics are outstanding. I think my
mouth dropped open on some of the cinematic cut scenes and even how much they can have on screen at one time.

I forget what it is technically called, but the kinect exercise videos were interesting. I did a few minutes of a Jillian Michaels
and another with someone else and I think this could catch on with people interested in this type of thing. It was telling me
to do this and that more, move here, etc.... I need to drop a little weight and think this could motivate me some.

Overall I have to say, even with a few problems, my first impressions are this is great. I have no regrets and so glad I
did not wait like I debated before. I think after a few updates it can be perfect or as close to perfect with a couple million
people using it doing different things and in different dialects and languages.

Sorry I'm just chiming in on the unboxing since I've owned the system since its midnight release. Here is my take:

Love the "day one" packaging. The black shiny photos over the box is really well done compared to the normal green box with the XB1 gaming console on the front.

Inside, the system definitely impresses! Large exterior for the console but I hear it was designed that way to keep it from overheating. Even though a lot of the reviewers out there weren't feeling the look, I find it to be very pleasing and familiar. It fits well with my other tech. Was a bit baffled on how to eject a disc at first, until I found the eject button next to the disc insertion slit.

Controller is fantastic! I'm loving the feel while playing games. The trigger buttons feel solid and I'm loving how the bumper buttons kinda meld with the triggers. The thumbpad is a great improvement over the 360's pad. Fighting in Killer Instinct feels so old school and right. Still, they don't match the pads used on old controllers from Sega, but good nonetheless.

Starting the system was interesting. I got the Xbox One logo and it stated in a static state for about a minute. Was a bit concerned at first that the system screen was frozen. Gave it a little time and it was prompting me to set up the system. Set up was fairly straight forward. Nothing worth noting aside from it being fairly easy to do. Performed the mandatory update (which didn't take long at all) and I was ready to go.

Navigating through the tiles was very familiar since it is very reminicent of Windows 8 and even a bit like the 360's interface. I totally love the speed switching screens, apps, Live TV, etc... It is flawless and just as amazing as the videos we've seen from Microsoft. I have seen some delay with Live TV at times, but nothing worth seriously noting. I did have an issue with Live TV pausing, not displaying and choppy at first, but found a good solution to fix that issue.

Kinect is much better than its first iteration on the 360, but still has issues. I found myself having to repeat commands, getting incorrect Cable channels (BBC America vs ABC Family) and it picking up my hand movement during me watching a tv show. Even with these minor quirks, it is very good and makes you feel like you're using a tool from the future. Played the free version of Kinect Sports. It was good and very responsive, but still not perfect. In time, I'm sure the future games will be much better.

Games I purchased:

Killer Instinct - Great fighting game that could be much better with an involved storyline, more characters and interactive backgrounds (at least I haven't found any that you can interact with). The speed is amazing, the graphics killer! I found myself playing it over and over again between game installs. This should have been offered free with each system to offset the price. Would have been the perfect pack-in game.

Forza 5 - Graphics alone make this one of the BEST launch titles! I found myself crashing, looking at the visuals. My girlfriend would make "Ohh" and "Ahhh" sounds while I was driving. It definitely shines! No complaints about the game at all. Difficulty is challenging, but never too much. Very fun to play.

Dead Rising 3 - A bit perplexed about how reviewers totally trashed the graphics in this game. Most talked about how it didn't look next generation and it definitely showed the downside to upscaling 720p. Maybe I'm not seeing it but my 46" Samsung 1080p HDTV 120hz system made this game look beautiful. Maybe not at the level of a game like Forza, but still amazing. This game is creepy and disturbing but loads of fun! You feel like you're on the set of the Walking Dead but in reality, safe on your couch in the comfort of your home. I found myself lifting my leg when a zombie grabbed my character while climbing a car or wall. Just started this game but I really love playing it!

My two-cents!

J

Love these reviews... please keep them coming either positive or negative. I got my day 1 and 5 games, but since its a Christmas present for my kids, I cant open it yet until Christmas. So I am really enjoying these comments. So far, seems that system is doing great... cant wait to try it. I would like some more info on how your dvr works since I know it can run it. How do you work your dvr threw your cable system if the xbox is running? Can you just pick up your cable remote and use it even though the xbox is on and running? I just don't understand how it works...

Thanks

Controller - Though I believe its slightly bigger width wise/height it thinner depth wise and since the handles for the palms isn't as rounded its actually way more comfortable than 360 which was already a great controller. IDK how ppl hate this controller. I'm actually not looking forward to going back to the 360 one when my friend gets Ghosts for it this weekend.

BF4 - Of course great graphics, 60FPS is where its at. IDK how I ever played BF3 @ 30FPS!

AC4 - Just picked this up today....OMG does this game look amazing. I actually used the XB1 calibration the other day and slightly tweaked the RGB to my liking. This game with its vibrant greens & blues really really pop. I love it!

Disappointments?

Thumbsticks aren't terrible but they are a bit small, so b/c of that my Kontrol Freeks don't fit so I had to preorder new ones which start shipping next week.

No cross chat with 360, I'm having to run my 360 on my other HDMI port so I can talk to my friends. I have X12's so my game audio is going to the XB1 and chat is coming from the 360 lol. I really hope they can somehow fix this, I'm gonna probably shell out the money for the XO Seven and I won't be able to use this trick anymore

Back