Opinion of the Sims Series

dannyboy

What do you think about the Sims series and if you like it, what made the series so good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I know some die hard Sims fans. I just never got into it. I'd like to hear what makes it so good too!

My Wife loves playing Sims. I recently acquired the game through one of the humble bundles. Installed and played a little and felt like a fish out of water. There's so much custom content. Almost reminded me of Second Life.

Although, I do really enjoy building my own house.

Yeah i enjoy building my own house too. You basically get to be another person and cutomize your own life in these games, Its is awesome!

I love the Sims. I recognize though that it is a niche game. I personally love building my original character up to be successful. There is just a lot of personalization with it. And it some ways, you can do thing in the Sims that you would/could never do in real life.

It's a fun game to play for an hour every once in awhile for me. I could never get into playing it much longer than that. I do like all the customization options for creating your house though. After you finish with it though, it gets to repetitive.

This is one game I really thought I wouldn't care for, but I was actually surprised at how fun it is -- especially since it's such a simple game! I like being able to build my own house, decorate it however I want (and in ways that I'll never be able to decorate my real house), making tons more money than I'll ever make in reality, etc. It's fun living a pretend life for a little while and it's a fun break from all the FPS games I normally play.

My girlfriend owns every single Sims game, except for the earlier ones. I played The Sims Bustin' Out on the Xbox before and I have to say I liked it a lot, the first few weeks of me playing, I got addicted but eventually I got bored with it.

I'm not into it, but I know a lot of people that are. Once when I was younger I won a game called "Singles" that was very similar to Sims but had a big focus on... hmm... interpersonal relationships. :)

I've played it for a while at the time even though it was rubbish because... hmm... hormones. :)

I enjoy the Sims series, but only on PC. The console version lacks hard without custom content.

Man, I know some die hard Sims fans. I just never got into it. I'd like to hear what makes it so good too!

Agreed, I know a few people who play it all the time, for ages, but I just never got around to really getting into it I guess. I would play for like a day, and then delete everything.

Me and my girlfriend both absolutely love the sims franchise, but when you ask why? I have no idea something about it just sucks me into it. I love my life so I dont try to make a life I want. I just play it cause I find it entertaining. Sims 4 is gonna be off the chain though.:cool:

I'm a fan of the Sims franchise--moreso the Sims than Sim City--but my girlfriend LOVES the series. I can related in that it's drastically different compared to the usual impossible guy having impossible adventures, sci-fi laser gun battles, military/black ops bullet battles, sneak attacks, headshots, swords and arrows dragon slaying, anime artwork, grim dark, zombie storyline, zoom I have a car-games.

I get why my girlfriend likes the sims as well since the majority of games tend to be male centric and even when playing with a female character there's rarely strong female leads written well--plus sometimes the stories just wouldn't entertain her, but that's true for everyone. The Sims is a game without static stories, heavy canon, and it has that use your imagination ethic and make your own stories that was present in early gaming. While there are aspirations and stuff, you make your own end game. There's no game climax or anything and there's no needing to play the last game to get the next's story.

I also like seeing her play the sims. She still has this several year old game of the Sims 2 saved. Multiple generations. She's into Sims 3 at the moment, though.

I get why my girlfriend likes the sims as well since the majority of games tend to be male centric and even when playing with a female character there's rarely strong female leads written well--plus sometimes the stories just wouldn't entertain her, but that's true for everyone. The Sims is a game without static stories, heavy canon, and it has that use your imagination ethic and make your own stories that was present in early gaming. While there are aspirations and stuff, you make your own end game. There's no game climax or anything and there's no needing to play the last game to get the next's story.

This is generally why my girlfriend plays very few games in general (just Sims, FF, and Persona). I like the Sims for the creation aspect and as you say, you make your own stories and end game.

I played some of the earlier versions for awhile and then just stopped. It was fun in the beginning and then it got kind of tedious. I'm like that with most games though.

My wife loves playing The Sims, it's the only game she plays!
I think there are two kinds of Sims players, the ones that want their characters to be as successful as possible, and the ones that want the worst things to happen to them, since this is a pretty broad base, it appeals to a lot of people, I think that's where it's success comes from.

Never been that much of a fan really. I just can't really get into games like this. I mean, if I wanted to play a game where I live a life, go to work and watch television, I'd just not play a game, and live my real life instead. I need some sort of escapism when I'm playing games.

I really like the series of Sims games for some reason that I could never fully understand. I think that just being able to escape from your real life and live a life that you always wanted to is kind of excited. You get to build your dream house without the hassle that you have to go through in real life. I know me personally I spent more time playing the game more for a chance to escape from my current reality and to have fun kind of being the person that I always wanted to be. I am not saying that I don't enjoy my life I am simply saying that in the Sims I could be a best selling author when in real life I don't think that I will ever be able to obtain such a title.

I played some of the earlier Sims on the PC... like 13 years ago. I would play at work to kill time towards the end of the day. For some reason I just stopped playing it. I tried playing it on the Xbox 360 about a year ago but wasn't able to get back into it the way I used to.

Back