PC Ports Done Poorly

Valkyrie1942

I know that the Dark Souls port was done poorly considering that modding it is required to be an enjoyable experience.

What are some PC ports that you were disappointed in? This can take optimization, resolution, and anything else that was done right on the console and incorrect on pc into account.

GTA IV.
oh and Bully : Scholarship Edition.. I was a kid when It was out and it frustrated me so much, I cried fora new PC thinking it was my PC problem.
Little did I know it was a ****ty port.
Supposed to be better now though (too little too late?)

Dark Souls still doesn't seem like a bad port to me. Extremely straightforward direct port, though, but not as BAD as some others. Not particularly good either but the game sure is excellent (though it sure as hell is a million times better on PC than the console version once you install DSFix... too bad about the GFWL, though)

Regardless,..

GTAIV is up there as a pretty damn awful port, performance-wise. Sure, if you can run it well you can get some pretty damn awesome mods.

Borderlands is another one, which blows my mind because it performs so much worse than Borderlands 2 despite being a technically inferior game. Or is my computer THAT bad? I also remember hearing that BL1 had some awful mouse smoothing early on but they changed it with patches. Like, who even thought that forced mouse smoothing was a good idea for a FPS!?

The recent CoD: Ghosts sounds like an awful port, with arbitrary system requirements that make no sense considering it barely even looks much better than BlOps2. I didn't care much for it, but the status of the PC version of Ghosts really shows that Infinity Ward and Activision don't care. The requirements seem inflated so that people think it really requires a much better machine than BF4...

DS only had issues with the KB/M input, otherwise the game was pretty well optimized for what it was. Understandably so, since it was pretty much a direct copy of the 360 version. They didn't even bother changing the interface.

Bully still lives in my mind as one of the worst PC ports ever, on the other hand. It's seriously worth emulating the PS2 version over it, because it's just that bad.

DS only had issues with the KB/M input, otherwise the game was pretty well optimized for what it was. Understandably so, since it was pretty much a direct copy of the 360 version. They didn't even bother changing the interface.

Bully still lives in my mind as one of the worst PC ports ever, on the other hand. It's seriously worth emulating the PS2 version over it, because it's just that bad.

Dark Souls, straight "out of the box" so to speak has very limited options for graphics. It is not super horrible since the game will most likely work fine, but DSFix is loved because it allows one to use a higher rendering resolution than the game's default (which isn't even 1280x720). It also allows one to uncap the framerate, though going for 60FPS messes up Dark Souls' engine because it just hasn't been programmed with it in mind. However, uncapping the framerate and recapping it with DSFix's own framerate limiter makes the framerate much more smooth, since Dark Souls has a tendency to switch the cap between 30FPS and 15FPS for no reason at all, but this might vary between computers.

And of course, playing with KB/M is a pain even with DSMFix which fixes issues with the mouse. Doesn't stop some crazy "PC MASTER RACE!!!1!!" people from saying KB/M is superior for Dark Souls.

Anyway, Bully reminds me of Devil May Cry 3. Devil May Cry 3 runs AWFUL even on modern machines unless you delete the music files (and DMC3 has great music), which for some reason improves performance. It's ridiculous. It is like Bully: downloading a PS2 emulator and emulating DMC3 ends up working better than playing the native PC version.

At least Capcom got **** right with the ports of Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 (dunno about RE6) and Devil May Cry 4. Rockstar didn't fix their crap for GTA4...

GTA IV is notoriously bad as others have pointed out. I was also disappointed with Call of Duty: Ghosts. It's really a shame since the first Call of Duty games were on PC and were absolutely wonderful. I would love to have a Call of Duty title that runs well on PC again. It is always a disappointment when you have a game you would love to play but you find out that it is a poor PC port.

Saints Row 2 is pretty bad when it comes to the PC version I mean it takes numerous amounts of mods and what not just to fix most of the problems and even then you still can get some ****ty frames which sucks since it is such a good game. Otherwise I have not really hade many problems with PC ports; Dark Souls is fine though I use a PS3 controller, Bully is not too bad just a little frustrating when it comes to some of the classes and GTA IV is just eh but can be pretty great with mods.

For the most recent ones I can think off are probably Assassin's Creed 4 and Metal Gear Rising. Both games only have slightly better looking texture than the console versions. At least AC4 is more close to the PS4 but Metal Gear Rising is almost identical to the consoles. Basically, I think any games made by Japanese makers make bad ports for the PC.

Quonton conundrum, There isn't even any visual settings other then resolution. It's fps is horrible.

Brutal Legend. I love that game, and I've been waiting for PC port ever since it was released for the 360 and PS3 back in 2009. But now that I got it running on my PC, its quite disappointing, the game itself is great, but there are just one too many bugs that is very annoying.

Back