Xbox One Peter Molyneux on the next Xbox

BlackSolaris

Microsoft should concentrate on games rather than chase the ‘connected entertainment’ dream with its next Xbox, says 22cans boss Peter Molyneux.

The former creative director of Microsoft Games Studios told us that he is keeping a close eye on his former employers’ movements, but isn’t sure what its intentions are with the next Xbox.

“I’m going to be absolutely fascinated to see what they finally come out with, because I kind of knew a lot when I was at Microsoft about what their plans were, and plans change and aspirations change. I’m sure they’ll have put a lot of time and thought and rehearsal into that press briefing, but I’m going to be fascinated to see what the hardware is, and how it will fit into this new world that we’re in now – this new world of hyper-connectivity, of super-portability. Or whether they’ll double-down and say ‘you know what? We are the games console, and that’s what we define ourselves as’ and say [they] don’t really care about hyper-connectivity or hyper-portability. It’ll be fascinating which way they jump.”

Molyneux would prefer to see Microsoft adopt the latter approach – that is, to concentrate on making the next Xbox a games console first, and an entertainment hub second.

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/pet...dont-want-another-way-of-looking-at-facebook/

He knows what he is talking about, this is the main reason why i buy a console!

This is how the next Xbox should be. Hopefully Microsoft made the right choices and pushing the limits on the gaming side instead of the home entertainment system side.

Man, I hadn't realized how agreeable Molyneux is when he's not hyping up his own games (sure earned a reputation for not delivering!). But yeah, I agree with what he says here.

Well, we'll have to wait until May 21 to see about this. I'm pumped. I totally agree with Molyneux.

This just seems like good marketing by Microsoft. Sure, they want to concentrate on the gaming, because it's a gaming console! But soon they will say they have some special feature for music or something, it's just simple marketing in my eyes. Waiting to see what they release, because talk is cheap.

Back