PS4 Expected to Mirror Last Gen's Seven Year Lifespan

Clark Bruce

The Escapist : News : PS4 Expected to Mirror Last Gen's Seven Year Lifespan

Lead designer of the PlayStation 4 Mark Cerny recently had something interesting to say about Sony's upcoming system. He states that is most likely that the PS4 will have a similar lifespan to that of the PS3. This means it can be expected that it will be 7 years until Sony plans on releasing a brand new system. This isn't surprising that I'm sure many people expected this.

This is to be expected. The way that console technology advances, it's all diminishing returns in processing power (compare PS1 to PS2 and PS3 to PS4, the jump in graphical quality from PS3 to PS4 isn't as huge as PS1 to PS2) so there's no need for short console generations, specially with the way prices go up anyway.

I actually thought this was a really good thing this gen because it gave the developers a great opportunity to really get to know the hardware and produce great games with it. I mean, in the case of the PS3 there is no way that something like The Last of Us could have been made in the first 1-3 years of the console.

I'm glad to see that they'll try to match that this gen.

Back