PS4 games can only access a guaranteed 4.5GB of GDDR5 memory

Clark Bruce

PS4 games can only access a guaranteed 4.5GB of GDDR5 memory - VideoGamer.com

It has been confirmed by Sony that 4.5 GB can be used by developers to develop their games, as the other 3.5 must be used for the PS4's operating system. This may come as a surprise to some as many thought that only 512mb would be used for the PS4 OS but now that seems to no longer be the case. Still, Sony has mentioned that they may try to find a way to reduce how much memory the system's OS uses in order to free up space for developers.

While that kind of sucks for developers hopefully it won't hinder them too much when making the games. Also it's good that Sony is at least trying to find a way to reduce the space the OS takes up on the system but it's not that bad for now at least.

I guess I'm just not l33t enough because I don't see the problem with having "only" 4.5GB of space to play with. That seems like a pretty decent amount especially considering that's quite a bit more than would have been available in the past and look at what games we received then. That said if they're working on the issue then that's awesome - at least they're going to make it a surprise like some companies would.

Back