Xbox One Purchase 720 via subscription?

MapQuest

I guess that the Xbox 360 with Kinect is currently being "sold" at Microsoft stores, Best Buy locations and GameStop for a low initial investment with a Live subscription purchase. You can purchase the console for only $99 but you have to commit to pay a monthly Live membership fee of $14.99 for 2 years to get this price. The newest rumor is that the plan will be used to sell the 720 when it is finally released. Would you be willing to make this commitment to Live to get the 720 cheaper?

I'm not totally on board with this idea to be honest. It feels they're becoming less about gaming and more like the cable and phone companies. And we all know how much people hate being locked into their contracts. Plus if they do this, you'll own even less of what you pay for than ever before. I seriously hope this isn't final.

I wasn't even aware that they did this, but then again I bought every Xbox I have ever had used. I don't think that I would lock myself into a contract in order to get the console cheaper. I hate contracts because once they have you they make it really hard for you to get out.

$99 +
$15 * 24 = 360

$460 for a $299 Xbox w/ 2 years of live.

Microsoft is gouging and making a lot off of it. What if one day I chose I didn't want the Xbox anymore?

$99 +
$15 * 24 = 360

$460 for a $299 Xbox w/ 2 years of live.

Microsoft is gouging and making a lot off of it. What if one day I chose I didn't want the Xbox anymore?

That's exactly why you're locked into the 2 year minimum contract. They're going to force you to stick it out for at least 2 years. To the customer, it looks like they're paying less because it's in small increments. But in actuality, you're paying a significant amount more. Just it's spread out over time so the average, unaware consumer will be clueless.

It is kind of like getting something at one of those rent to own places isn't it? They will make you pay smaller amounts but you are going to pay in the end. I don't think I would purchase the 720 this way if it was in fact offered. I would probably just wait until the cost goes down a bit and purchase it outright.

It is kind of like getting something at one of those rent to own places isn't it? They will make you pay smaller amounts but you are going to pay in the end. I don't think I would purchase the 720 this way if it was in fact offered. I would probably just wait until the cost goes down a bit and purchase it outright.

That's what most people should do. But the average consumer doesn't research these things. So, they're going to look at this contract thing without thinking, feeling they're getting a deal, when they really aren't.

Back