Xbox One Rumor: Kinect To No Longer Be A Xbox One Requirement

PB7

Former Administrator
Kinect Rumor.jpg

The examiner is reporting that Microsoft may be removing the Xbox One Kinect requirement from the Xbox One console as a ability to function. In my mind, this may be a move to offer a a price cut to the Xbox One before launch day even though Microsoft has denied this. I know some of people aren't going to be happy about it and some will. The rumor itselfs came from Jonathan Liedtke who is an editor for UWindosor Lance. The email is attached above. How do you guys feel this will effect Xbox One coming closer to launch? I'm not sure how much credibility can be attached to this.

"BREAKING: @Xbox media relations confirms to me via email that #kinect sensor IS NOT required for #XboxOne. #privacy #drm #prism #microsoft"
".@Xbox confirms NO #XboxOne price drop due to NO kinect requirement. #XboxOne is "competitively priced" & xbox is "confident with the value."He than followed up with this bomb shell: I'm working on verifying this, but if true, it is an interesting turn of events. One would assume the removal of the Kinect requirement would correlate with a reduction of price. Maybe they are still planning on shipping units with the Kinect, keeping the price but removing the function?

Via: Examiner

I don't want a Kinect. I'm just not interested in seeing myself. I want to be immersed into a virtual reality. I don't want to see my awkward self reflected back at me. I am so excited to try out Xbox One, but am pretty broke and know I shouldn't buy one in the near future. lol

Well, if that is true, another good point in the return for Microsoft with their next gen console. Seriously, not everyone want to use that huge block in top (or bottom) of your screen, so Microsoft should stop shoving it down our throats.

That's nice, but 1.) I don't believe them and 2.) I don't see the overall point to this. I mean that's nice that they're trying to be all helpful and junk, but why right this minute. It's like someone entering a panic and losing all connection to basic logic. You can pull it off, but then have you reconfigured it to function without glitches? Heck - how many back doors and logic errors are swimming around in it right now because of all the backpedalling done thus far? Nah, I'm going to take a pass on this thing I think - somehow I'm seeing all kinds of tomfoolery at launch and for a while after.

I'd like a lower priced version without Kinect, seriously. It not being necessary is kinda pointless if all Xbones come with one anyway!

I'd like a lower priced version without Kinect, seriously. It not being necessary is kinda pointless if all Xbones come with one anyway!

I completely disagree, if they separate it from the console it could end up killing it in the long run and kill developer support for it.

The device is looking great and I hope they advertise it better coming up to launch.

[video=youtube;Hi5kMNfgDS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4[/video]

I completely disagree, if they separate it from the console it could end up killing it in the long run and kill developer support for it.

The device is looking great and I hope they advertise it better coming up to launch.
QUOTE]
Same here man can't wait to use the thing people are to critical and dont like to give things a chance.

On top of this Kinect 2 is now one of the few things Microsoft has a huge advantage over Sony with to differentiate their platform.

It seems like Microsoft is trying to do so many last minute changes. First, removing the policies, and then this? I guess they're trying to get everyone hyped. Anyways, this may be false since the response shown here does not confirm it: http://i.imgur.com/04kCRW4.png

This is cool, I expect it is true. It is a bit creepy for a camera to be on you at all times, I can't really argue. And hey, if you can disable the Kinect's functionality, I don't see the need to keep it connected now. I love watching Microsoft whittle away at all of their former stances on the Xbox One, haha. Let's keep 'em comin' boys! Let's announce Xbox Live being free next! Oh wait, barely anyone is outraged over that...

This is cool, I expect it is true. It is a bit creepy for a camera to be on you at all times, I can't really argue. And hey, if you can disable the Kinect's functionality, I don't see the need to keep it connected now. I love watching Microsoft whittle away at all of their former stances on the Xbox One, haha. Let's keep 'em comin' boys! Let's announce Xbox Live being free next! Oh wait, barely anyone is outraged over that...

There is a difference between not needing it connected and it not coming standard with the Xbox One and Xbox Live is never going to be free.

Honestly if you're afraid of cameras you might as well stay locked up in your house with thick curtains and no electronics with cameras on them like laptops and phones.

agreed with the post above...
on average you are photo/videotaped 30 times.... and i believe its more with,shopping,servalance cameras, street cameras,atm,banking,iphone,smart phones in general,laptops and god knows what else

i hate the idea and patents that microsoft owns... with data reserch and all that its crazy to think of what they can get.. the audio data,amount of people in room heart rate ect ect..

but i still like how the new kenect is used on the new system for voice and navigation with tv,games and such.. how you can turn on the xbox and all that... i dont have a kenect on my xbox now but am actually excited to try one with the new capabilities.

If this proves to true, that would make me so happy. Microsoft is actually responding to the community backlash. They are taking steps in the right direction to compete with Playstation.
Hopefully, this will actually be confirmed. All I can say is good job Microsoft.

I hope this isn't true honestly, and i doubt it is. Streamlining features is the only way to convince developers to sink money into utilizing something like the kinect. They're donig it with smart glass as well the same way PS4 is making vita mandatory. I feel like it has a ton of potential in all genres of games from heavy to minor use. The whole "they're going to watch me" thing is bogus, if you put yourself in a position to ping the NSAs global radar you're probably not worried about gaming and i doubt they think someone who is a terrorist will sit infront of a kinect all day making calls to their buddies.

If this proves to true, that would make me so happy. Microsoft is actually responding to the community backlash. They are taking steps in the right direction to compete with Playstation.
Hopefully, this will actually be confirmed. All I can say is good job Microsoft.

their are something that the community backlash was necessary concidering how little was shown at e3 and any press release to date.... but disconnecting kinect takes away from some very key features that developers will and should add knowing kinect is their 100%... without kinect it is back to square1 with just a controller... in this case i think gamers are their own worst enemy they want the next BIG THING but are not open to any change or next gen tec.. the hardware/graphics are only going to get so good a controller can only have so many buttons and gadgets before its a cluster fawk. just like game sizing can only be so big on a physical disk..

think of it in terms of the next decade of gaming... how fast will we fill up a 500gb hard drive with games/apps/marketplace buying??? how long before a 1t-2t hard drive will be necessary ive said it in a few other posts... their is a point that we need to go away from disks to really expand and get the next gen tec.. if the xb1 is really 3 times the computing power than xb360 the limiting factor will end up being cloud/physical disk... it will almost become a necessity to develope games that are visually stunning and have enough content that gamers arnt crying about a rip off.. its really a catch 22 at this point..

I'd buy the xbox one from Microsoft, if they removed the Kinect sensor requirement. I liked most of the games presented at the E3 20monit13 presentations. I'm concerned that if the connect sensor remains it will be an infringement on civil liberties. an always on microphone and camera in our homes. Granted the prism project by our ( US government) was revealed recently in the terms of E3. It stretches back to the release of vista/windows 7. You can find out all the details about prism by looking it up on Wikipedia. Personally if the future trends of Microsoft will be an always on microphone and camera in my home i'll purchase alternate gaming systems that don't have these monitoring systems.

krosis

sorry Fordgtguy but do we need to see your dog as part of your post. granted I think you think it's cute but it's a waste of space on the page.

Honestly if this happened, this would be an amazing boost to Xbox One. It would make it's price much more competitive with the PS4, and a lot of people had fears about the Kinect invading their privacy amidst the NSA fiasco. I really hope they follow through with this, this would make the battle with PS4 much more competitive.

Honestly if this happened, this would be an amazing boost to Xbox One. It would make it's price much more competitive with the PS4, and a lot of people had fears about the Kinect invading their privacy amidst the NSA fiasco. I really hope they follow through with this, this would make the battle with PS4 much more competitive.

Short term and price wise? Yes. Long term and technology wise? No.

Everytime you remove a advantage that comes standard with the Xbox One that it has over the PS4 the more it just becomes a less powerful PS4.

Back