Xbox One Rumor: Kinect To No Longer Be A Xbox One Requirement

All this recent news is making me want to buy one even less. The design of this system is a complete disaster, just what is going on at Microsoft? Not even a month ago they planned out a vision for the console and they have thrown all of it out the window now. It's so strange that it makes me ponder what I'd be receiving for my hard earned cash.

Microsoft would be better off selling two bundles of Xbox One; a family oriented version that has Kinect included (499 price) and a standard version with just the console and a controller for $100 cheaper. To be honest, I'd purchase a bundle that would come with two controllers and a Bluetooth headset instead of the Kinect for the standard price tag.

All this recent news is making me want to buy one even less. The design of this system is a complete disaster, just what is going on at Microsoft? Not even a month ago they planned out a vision for the console and they have thrown all of it out the window now. It's so strange that it makes me ponder what I'd be receiving for my hard earned cash.

Microsoft would be better off selling two bundles of Xbox One; a family oriented version that has Kinect included (499 price) and a standard version with just the console and a controller for $100 cheaper. To be honest, I'd purchase a bundle that would come with two controllers and a Bluetooth headset instead of the Kinect for the standard price tag.

First the Xbox and Kinect are Hardware dependent so making the Kinect optional is much harder if not impossible than changing policy rules implemented in software.
Second in order for it to succeed it MUST be included with Every Xbox.
Third Xbox has no Bluetooth capabilities so Bluetooth headsets will not work and they are not going to redo the hardware to add Bluetooth.
Finally, they should never had changed their policies. They need to bring back the family sharing and other features to the console.

I feel that this is very wise. Not every one would like a kinect 2 because they have more wires, echo, and can just be a hassle. Some people dislike it because it watches you at all times. Removing this is a smart idea because now the people who didn't like the kinect do not have to have it. This deal also brings great publicity to Xbox which is very good since they are selling in less than 4 months.

I completely disagree, if they separate it from the console it could end up killing it in the long run and kill developer support for it.

The device is looking great and I hope they advertise it better coming up to launch.
QUOTE]
Same here man can't wait to use the thing people are to critical and dont like to give things a chance.

I agree with both ford and duke on this, I can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

I'm glad that the Kinect is no longer going to be a requirement. I'm personally not interested in that type of technology at al including Wii motes, PS move, accelerometers or any other incarnation of motion sensitive technology. Simple reason from me is that they are just akward and unresponsive and for the most part inconvinient.
I don't condemn the people who do like it and I have played games with all of current different motion technology controller including the original kinect but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Give me. Solid tactile controller any day. Maybe a little touch pad on it for point and click games or something at the very most...

I thought that most people initially were fine with the Kinect camera being a part of the Xbox One package. The fact that it was always on (along with the mic) and RECORDING AT THE SAME TIME is what has people so up in arms about it.

It has a "Big Brother is watching you" feel to it, which is (understandably) turning people off.

Some people use the "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to be afraid of" rationalization to justify it's use, but I wouldn't want someone or something watching and/or listening in on my most private conversations with friends and family.

I would actually be upset if this happened but I guess it would make sense for them to be able to compete with Sony. A part of me was looking forward to every console having Kinect therefore giving developers more incentive to innovate and find creative ways to use it. I was also looking forward to being able to video chat with my buddies. I mean, I guess these things could still happen but they might not be mandatory now? Oh well.

Microsoft puts way too much stock in Kinect. Even the boxes are starting to say "Better with Kinect" or whatever. Shouldn't that assessment be left up to the consumer? I was excited about the Kinect until I found out it was a $200 potato.

I want the Xbox One without the Kinect. Right now the $100 more isn't making the console look so good. Knock off $75 from the pricetag and drop Kinect and then you have a serious reason to get the Xbox One. The Kinect isn't mandatory, I doubt it would even be used besides from "Xbox One Turn On" or someone walking into the room saying "Xbox One Turn Off" while your game is saving.

I don't know about dev support but they sold a crap load of Kinect this gen and still turned out nothing but crappy games aside from 3 Dance Central games. The reason devs aren't going for it is because it is a gimmick and you don't bank on a gimmick. Sure the Wii sold on a gimmick but mostly first party. Add to the fact that a lot of people have a Kinect already, they don't need another collecting dust. This is why Nintendo went a different way with the Wii U. The writing is on the wall for Kinect. People don't like shouting instructions at their TV.

its hard for a developer to build a game with a pereferial that 60% of the community dosnt have. with kinect and xb1 as 1 it forces developers to intigrate it... and with the intigration comes bux fixes and better ai,voice,movment and everything thing else. its where wii fell short... it didnt develope and try and build movment.. it was very cut and dry how it reconized just like the 360 kinect is. with the new tec in kenect and their ability and wanting to develope it we(games/xb1 custmers) need to use it and get the bux worked out. the problem with any new tec or big leap is getting it to function flawlessly...

we haded smart phones till they became streamline with life and worked flawless same goes for consoles when it becomes the norm and is easy to use we take advantage of it and never think about it. think to yourself 10 years ago we wuld have never of thought of social networking like we do today.. now its a part of our life. if the tv stuff really works i will love my xb1

Its great that the Kinect is no longer going to be a requirement, we all know motion tech is dead in the water. Even Nintendo who pioneered it for home console standard have dropped it for a screen based controller which, I believe due to the rise in popularity of the Tablet market, was a wise choice to make.

However, the big question we all want answering is, are we really not going to be able to borrow, swap and trade games anymore!?

Its great that the Kinect is no longer going to be a requirement, we all know motion tech is dead in the water. Even Nintendo who pioneered it for home console standard have dropped it for a screen based controller which, I believe due to the rise in popularity of the Tablet market, was a wise choice to make.

However, the big question we all want answering is, are we really not going to be able to borrow, swap and trade games anymore!?

microsoft already changed drm/sharing/connectivity... you are way behind the ball on that announcment... kinect is still part of xb1 and needs to stay thay way....

their is no way motion tech is dead in the water... ive mentioned it before we are at the bottom of the iceberg as far as motion tech goes... altho nintendo brought it out the tec was not their and nintendo dosnt have the resorces and backing to really push the development. microsoft has etered the tec of emersive gaming(no the xb1) dosnt have it yet) but in 5-10 years its possible. gamers are their own worst enemy at this point... they want nothing new yet everything to change without adopting tec to get us their.

I do appreciate the fact that they're removing the requirement, even if I wasn't planning on buying an Xbox One for a while anyway. The current version of the Kinect is mildly amusing, so if they're really upgrading it then it might be worthwhile. I like the idea of using voice commands, but I don't need a huge camera thing sitting on top of the TV to do that.

And no, the game-lending policy is up to the game developers, but it's unlikely to change from what it is now. I wasn't all that worried about it to begin with but somewhere along the line some information was misinterpreted and the whole thing got blown out of proportion.

This is a definite plus. The kinect being a must put many at worry about privacy issues especially.
I wasn't too fond of the idea either. I'm not a kinect fan at all... so the need for it no longer being there is an upside.

As for the price cut on a console without the kinect, I think it should be possible. That should be at least putting it at a reasonable price.

This is a definite plus. The kinect being a must put many at worry about privacy issues especially.
I wasn't too fond of the idea either. I'm not a kinect fan at all... so the need for it no longer being there is an upside.

As for the price cut on a console without the kinect, I think it should be possible. That should be at least putting it at a reasonable price.

it is mearly a rumor no confirm or even real chatter from the microsoft at all... expect kinect to be bundled in the day one.

Back