Xbox One Rumor: The Next Xbox Will Require an Online Connection

The Angry Beaver

Contributor
GameInformer.jpg
In an article posted today by GameInformer Magazine, a new rumor is circulating that the new Xbox will require some sort of always online connectivity. GameInformer cites Edge Online that:
Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.
This all sounds very familiar to what Sony has been rumored to be doing with their next-generation system. I wrote a post referring to Sony's possible plans here. Lets all hope that this type of technology is just a little premature for this next generation. There are lots of Americans who still do not have an always-on internet connection. This would instantly minimize the install base both companies hope to achieve in the United States.

Please post any thoughts on this matter. I am really interested in whether or not the community thinks this is a good idea for either company.

- The Angry Beaver

Attachments

• GameInformer.jpg
    GameInformer.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 38
I believe the rumor is retarded and it'd be hilarious stupid if it was true at all. Still, it's just a rumor and it's so easy to get these stupid "journalists" to run with crazy rumors... no proof and a "completely-anonymous" source... yeah, fuck that.

I think that would be a bad move, I also believe that it will lessen the potential sales of these units if they were to require online connection.

I agree, that this would be a bad move, My xbox is on a different floor than my internet connection and I am not going to pay money for someone to come out to re-route my internet for a game console, I can think of a few other people that their xbox is not going to be hooked up to their internet.

Like most people I am very sceptical to this, rumours like this always circulate a lot before a new generation of consoles. Would this be true however, it would most likely mean that the 360 is my last console from Microsoft. I love single player games and I love co-op games. But online multiplayer? Not so much...

Wow, the xbox720 is officially on my DO NOT BUY list. The rumors were confirmed on the local news tonight.

New games will come with a one-time activation code so that only the original buyer can play the disc. That means no trading in games and no buying used games... which means they may as well call it xbox zero because that's how likely I am to get it.

Wow, the xbox720 is officially on my DO NOT BUY list. The rumors were confirmed on the local news tonight.

New games will come with a one-time activation code so that only the original buyer can play the disc. That means no trading in games and no buying used games... which means they may as well call it xbox zero because that's how likely I am to get it.

I must look this up. I don't doubt you. But I think this is a HUUUUUUGE mistake on their part. I buy most of my games used at Game Stop.

Here's another article about this digital media, no pre-owned games rumor that's been up in the air. I wonder if the companies leaked this to gauge consumer reaction? Strangely enough, this also ties in with this article about Amazon and their new digital media patent that got approved.

On the subject of it not supporting used Xbox games, I would go out and by a Playstation, unless they go the same way. Then maybe I'd go to PC gaming, I'm not sure. Don't try and rip us off Microsoft, get a grip of or new console, for the greater good.

What the hell? Seriously? Man, I haven't checked my RSS feeds yet so I don't really believe this just yet but if it is true then I guess I'll just... wait for it to be hacked to hell and back!

That would be horrible, but I could still see how it would be profitable if they ddi do this. It would force users to be connected and force them to use their service the same way most Xbox Live users have to use the apps provided. I think it would be a smart business move.

I am starting to see people comment on this on my friends list on facebook and how they would not be buying it since 1) it *requires* an internet connection and 2) can't play used games on it. I see this has an epic fail on their part.

A console that requires an online connection at all times is a console that knows what your doing and what your playing at all times. Its good in a way because then they can tally up everything and provide statistics for the console on a more accurate scale to show what everyone is interested in with the console. Allows them to focus on the things that matter the most for the consumer. While many do play Single Player offline, I don't think you will be required to be online at all times unless they do something like cell phone companies do to allow internet access at all times. However, is that way of internet access powerful enough for gaming on a large scale?

The future of gaming is Multiplayer.

Maybe it will just deter severely what you can do with the new system. Then again that is how it is now. I doubt they will completely cut off the no internet users. Even people who pay for internet do not always want the system in the same room. It would be a terrible move.

If this rumor is true then it will be so disappointing because I sometimes like to take my xbox when I travel for offline play. I also wonder if that will mean that there will no longer be single player mode.

The thing you need to know about rumors, is the same thing I learned about rumors when I worked at the Apple Store. Many of them seem great theoretically and make sense in practice, but are not practical because (1) they are not a good idea, (2) they are not cost effective, or (3) they do not fit with the company's traditional standards. I have also learned that rumors are best not discussed because they build too much excitement for a product and then when it launches it is a major let down, and because some of the rumors are bad and you base your opinion on the rumors. For example, Fonzie, he thinks this rumor is a bummer and he goes and buys an expensive PS4, well then the Xbox 720 launches, and this rumor is not true. Bummer, he just wasted a ton of money.

I don't think that this is necessarily a bad idea. Times are changing and household internet is become easier to purchase and upgrade. I suppose making an internet connection mandatory will help push the console and home internet businesses in the right direction, toward the future. Does this mean that we won't be able to play games offline? I guess we will have to wait and see and more information develops. No matter the outcome, I'm sure the new Xbox console will be great.

It's only to make sure that the console stays up to date. Whether its for the gaming or keeping your information secure. But who doesn't have their Xbox connected to the Internet that's posting here anyways?

This wouldn't be a huge issue with me, since I do always have an internet connection at my house...
but people such as my boyfriend and other friends don't always have a connection.
They live out in "the middle of nowhere", so they can either pay a big price for limited data on slow internet or get nothing.
They're bigger Xbox players than I am... they won't be happy.

Yeah well I guess they are just using a general mould for this. Not like they will have different consoles like iPods and iPads. Maybe even creating something like the old arcade console for strictly off liners.

Back