Xbox One Rumor: Xbox One To Cost $399 & Drop Kinect Requirement

sc_shark

You will probably think I’m looney but what if I were to tell you that Microsoft will change course again, drop the mandatory Kinect AND offer the Xbox One for just $399, thereby leveling the playing field totally?

i hope its not true personally. no i don't have a kinect on my 360 but i like it to be part of the hardware and used in gaming more. i want to see illumi room come true and have it implemented with kinect.

Via: Houston Gamer | a Chron.com blog

I will let out a huge sigh of relief if this gets confirmed. I feel like if developers wanted to implement Kinect features, they would, and I don't think integrating it like they originally planned to would change that. Making me put an extra $100 in for something I have very little interest in isn't something I am fond of.

Source?

I think it's a great idea. It kills the entire privacy issue and gets them back in the game. Face it, their PR is a mess right now and people have flocked to the PS4. I personally do not need another Kinect. The first one collects enough dust. $399, no Kinect.

There's nothing even close to official, it's just some guy's idea. Even the logic he puts into it doesn't work.
  • "Microsoft hates to lose" Then why do they keep doing it? he talks about how the ps2 and wii won the last two gen battles and that this gen is gonna be different....how? The only innovation the Xbone had on the ps4 they decided to take out and reverse it into the 180
  • "Microsoft doesn’t want to appear to bow to public pressure" If that was the case then why would they do a huge 180 literally a week after E3? They could have waited for Gamescom or made another "reveal" instead of just some low key announcement that makes them look even weaker.
  • "Microsoft will not force gamer to Kinect." I'm not to sure about this one. On one hand he has a point. Microsoft has already bent over backwards so they might do it again and not require a kinect and truly make it nothing but a more powerful 360 but maybe forcing devs to use it...which they still don't have to do might help speed up the quality and get games closer to full sensory experiences.
  • "Microsoft will lower the Xbox One price to $399" He goes on to say that without the need for a kinect that the price would drop by about $100...IF Microsoft decides to do this then that's a possibility but I still don't think they will...plus there's always the chance that this truly will be a xbox 720 and they'll keep the price anyway as it was the same price of a 360 when they first came out.

The last point on there is about the games and...ya that has nothing to do with a price drop and is completely up to one's own tastes. Long story short I don't see this happening. I'm already gonna wait for a price drop and if microsoft is gonna lower it by $100 then I might as well wait a little longer til it hits another price drop.

I thought the whole point of having the Kinect included was so that ALL Xbox Ones had it and Devs could include it in their games, since everyone had one. At most, I would guess that they would just not HAVE to have it connected unless you wanted to use it. That way, if you bought a game that had Kinect functionality, it would prompt you to connect it to play the game, kinda like when you disconnect a current controller.

Like many of us, the Kinect is a waste of materials to me. I don't want to replace my controller with an unresponsive and inaccurate device that actually makes gaming more tiring and a chore.
I want to sit back, kick my feet up and relax as I run around solving puzzles and quests or blasting random pedestrians as I go.
Not jump, spin, flap and duck in the middle of my study!

I think they made this decision because a lot of people are paranoid about the spying and whatnot. Taking the requirement out relieves some people, and I certainly don't know why they decided to make it mandatory in the first place. Yes, the price is a bit cheaper, but it's up to peoples decision so dropping the kinect requirement would be a good choice, as well as make the xbox one cheaper. One of the reasons why I'm not buying it at the moment is because of the price.

That would be great if Microsoft decided to go through with as it would basically put them at equal ground with the PS4 but at the same time, it kind of shows that Microsoft are pretty much willing to drop anything. Still, with the system so close to launch I think that this rumor won't be true and Microsoft will stick with the Kinect requirement. Hopefully though the Kinect won't backfire on Microsoft.

I have to agree that the idea of having the Kinnect with every single Xbox One console was a bad idea from the outset, and the extra $100 on the price was no good either. It has looked for a while now that the PS4 would massively out sell the Xbox One, but if Microsoft does pull themselves together and get rid of all of the rubbish they tried to enforce, they may stand a chance of competing. As a Sony fanboy, I am still quite pleased to see that this time around the PlayStation console has the upper hand, however I worry that they may become a bit complacent and Xbox may just win the console war.

Additionally, it might be worth mentioning that the PS4 had originally come with a playstation eye too, but they removed this at the last minute as a way to compete in regards to prices. In my opinion this was a good move but also a bad move by Sony, as it means that they now have ore people who are looking to purchase their console, however publishers may shy way from integrating the eye with their games.

It wouldn't be unusual for them to change course again, but that doesn't mean they will. I don't care for the Kinect requirement but it's more of an annoyance than a deal-breaker. It isn't going to convince me either way, but it may be a good idea in the long run from a financial standpoint.

Doesn't really sound like a trusty source to me.

But I would be all for them making Kinect optional. Saying that "it's included so that developers will include Kinect features" is kinda stupid. If the developers wanted to include Kinect features they would do so even if it was optional.

Doesn't really sound like a trusty source to me.

But I would be all for them making Kinect optional. Saying that "it's included so that developers will include Kinect features" is kinda stupid. If the developers wanted to include Kinect features they would do so even if it was optional.

The dirty translation means MS believes the Kinect would be more successful if the devs made GOOD games for it. The problem is it's a gimmick and if you remove the Dance Central people there isn't much left. Even as a fad it never took off like the Wii did. It was more like an evolution and burned out much quicker.

The dirty translation means MS believes the Kinect would be more successful if the devs made GOOD games for it. The problem is it's a gimmick and if you remove the Dance Central people there isn't much left. Even as a fad it never took off like the Wii did. It was more like an evolution and burned out much quicker.

^^THIS!
The major problems I had with the Kinect and the Motion systems is that they were just responses to the Wii rather than actual organic growths of the systems they're a part of. And it's really obvious to see when you look at the games and the uses for these things. I have yet to actually see a Kinect make a game either better or play a game very well ... which is why I don't see the point of paying extra to have the thing broadcasting me without my permission. They really do need to make this optional.

Back